Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 09-16-2002, 03:29 AM

Default Inserting/Deleting Measures

Okay, I've been reading this manual that seems like it was probably written for Mac and 'revised' for the PC version...

If I have say, 32 tracks of audio and I wish to insert or delete measures across the board (all tracks) how do I do it in one step?

Likewise if I want to copy all tracks within a group of measures for pasting elsewhere, can I do this without going track by track?
Old 09-16-2002, 09:58 AM

Default Re: Inserting/Deleting Measures

Bump... Every other DAW I've ever used has a simple dialog for this...
Old 09-16-2002, 11:00 AM

Steve,
You simply highlight them all, by clicking and holding up in the timeline bar. Say you want measures 3-6 pasted at measure 37. Just put your cursor up in the timeline bar (just above your top track in Edit Window), click on measure 3, slide to the right to 6, let go. Those should now be black. Now simply Copy, click on 37, and Paste.
Old 09-16-2002, 01:05 PM

Steve,
At the moment, I'm not sure if you can Consolidate all tracks this way. But, I'm almost positive you can.(I too had been consolidating track by track). I had asked Bastiaan that in another thread, but he missed it I think.

Also, though, remember this. Highlighting across the top(timeline) is also the best way to do a 'Bounce to Disc', because exactly what you highlight is exactly what will be bounced. I'm just adding this in case you didn't know. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-16-2002, 02:31 PM

If you want to delete an area, use the selector to highlight the area, switch to shuffle mode and press delete, which will just chop out the selected area.

If you want to copy, say, an area of only three tracks, use the selector to highlight the area of one track and then shift click the other two tracks (one at a time) to highlight the same area also. Copy, go to the exact measure where you want them inserted and click one track and shift click the other tracks and paste. If you group the tracks first, you can do it in one selection. Grid mode makes selecting the area much easier too.

You can consolidate the whole session by selecting on the timeline. However, you need only select an entire track to bounce the whole session, that is, you don't have to select the entire session to bounce the session.

Hope this helps. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-16-2002, 02:33 PM

Indeed Roy, i missed it. But i think you dont need to consolidate if its midi....or am i completely missing the point.... [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Yep....missed the point...

Bastiaan
Old 09-16-2002, 02:40 PM

I just gave it a go (selecting multiple channels and choose consolidate), and it glued all the regions together in seperate tracks. No need to do it track by track.l Just selext in the timeline, and choose consolidate. Then go for a cup of coffee... [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Bastiaan
Old 09-16-2002, 02:56 PM

As I said, you can consolidate the whole session by selecting on the timeline.

Personally, I consolidate on a region by region basis and only those adjacent regions that have fades. Since I never know if I will need to go back and re-edit, and I know I won't be exporting, I find this the best solution, albeit time consuming, but it saves disk space and peace of mind.
Old 09-16-2002, 02:56 PM

That's great, Bastiaan. Yes, as pertains to 'Consolidating', I guess we would mean strictly audio tracks. The Midi tracks remain as they are regardless.
But, thanks for taking the time to check it.(I didn't have any unconsolidated sessions to test).

~rh
Old 09-17-2002, 12:59 AM

So anything hilighted in the timeline selects across the board?

Can I consolidate this way too? hmmm..

Mucho thanks Roy... somethings are just too obvious... Maybe I should look into getting that "STUPID" tatoo removed from my forehead... [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]