Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 02-19-2019, 03:46 PM

Default PT5 with Waves V4 - don't connect iLok to License Manager

I've just learned a hard lesson about Waves V4 and iLok License Manager. I was going to add some plugs to my V1 iLok. So I connected my iLok to the most recent version of iLok License Manager for the first time last week, and now my Waves V4 authorization is GONE!

I've been going back and forth with Waves and PACE/iLok for a week. So far Waves says I'm screwed, even though I can see the V4 authorization at Waves Centra matched to my iLok's serial number. Their answer is "upgrade, we don't support PACE/iLok anymore". iLok support has been useless so far. So lame. I suspect it's the iLok License Manager that screwed my iLok up, seeing as it worked perfectly for 19 years previous. This is why people don't like license management. When it goes wrong, really bad things happen.

So if your PT5 system has Waves plugs on an iLok, don't connect the iLok to iLok License Manager.

If iLok support comes up with a solution I'll post it here.
Old 02-20-2019, 04:12 AM

Default Re: PT5 with Waves V4 - don't connect iLok to License Manager

I had a similar problem a few years ago with one of the license cards that slid into the old iloks. At some point, the ilok software stopped supporting those, so the new ilok software ate the license.

Have you tried connecting the ilok to an old computer with old ilok software to see if the license shows back up?

If a MIDI event triggers a sample of a tree falling and there's no one there to hear it, does it make a sound?
Old 02-20-2019, 01:31 PM

After hounding iLok, my "Waves X" authorization magically appeared in iLok License Manager (ILA) last night. I reauthorized my V1 iLok (same one I've used for 19 years successfully) and fired up PT5. Now the WaveShell 4.09 loads but doesn't "see" any of my plug ins. Yes, I pointed WaveShell at my Waves 4.0 folder, ran Authorizer 4 (which recognizes the iLok, BTW), etc. Reinstalled the Waves 4 plugs. Even moved the authorizations to a V2 iLok I obtained recently and tried that, same results. Everything that was suggested by Waves.

I think my authorization somehow got damaged by ILA. I REALLY don't want to use cracked plugs, but I use my PT5 system regularly. I have tons of sessions with Waves all over them. Doing a session with that system tonight.

So I await more answers from iLok and Waves. Thank God I've started building an upgrade system to PT10. I'll upgrade my Waves plugs and just go to the PT10 system in the next few weeks. But until then I have big problems...
Old 02-20-2019, 02:26 PM

The plot thickens. PACE/iLok admitted my Waves 4 license "got lost" in the migration to iLok License Manager (ILM). So they "restored" it, but it doesn't work properly. WaveShell 4.09 will load but doesn't see any of my plug ins. I had not logged into iLok since 2013, when I bought a license of Phoenix and had to authorize. Since my Waves X authorization wasn't in ILM, they deleted or disabled it when I sync'd last week. Whatever they did screwed it up.

As mad as I am about this, I have to admit iLok and Waves are being responsive, even though Waves doesn't support V4 anymore.
Old 02-26-2019, 12:26 PM

The sad final chapter to my saga is my Waves V4 authorizations are gone. iLok says "the exact same authorization you had was restored". If it was the same authorization, it should work fine, no? You don't have to be a coder to understand that.

This is after:

- I told iLok my Waves X authorization was gone
- iLok tech support replied "if it were there we would both see it in your iLok account"
- I forwarded them proof from Waves that I owned the authorization
- iLok then went back and confirmed Waves and I are correct and admitted there were some problems when they changed over software in 2013
- iLok then "restored" my Waves X authorization

There's obviously a problem with my authorization, it still doesn't work. Waveshell sees it, but the Gold bundle plugs on my system are no longer recognized. Since Waves no longer supports V4, Looks like I'm at the end of the line. Ironically, if I want my V4 plugs back, I'll need to find cracked copies. Because Waves has no way to authorize those products anymore if I bought another authorization from someone. There is no way I would trust a license transfer given all my problems.

So... if you have a PT5 or so system with old Waves plugs that works, DO NOT connect to iLok License Manager. I am convinced that is what caused my problems. Everything was fine for 19 years.... :-(
Old 02-26-2019, 05:57 PM

If the plugs are no recognized then the problem is with the installers, not the authorizations. Otherwise you would get some sort of "rescan licenses" dialog I suppose. I think you should try with Waves support again but starting from this.
I hope there's another solution other than reinstate WUP and upgrade to v10 because that would cost you