Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-18-2010, 12:53 PM

Default New 27" imac / "original" mbox - need some clear advice.please help !!

First off i am rather new here , so hello fellow mac and PT heads !

Second, i apologize in advance for re-asking what has already been asked on this " hot topic " but i have researched this thread for the last 24 hours and still not quite clear on somethings regarding my personal situation . Most of these threads are addressing the new Imac 27" with the Mbox 2 technology.

I would really appreciate it if someone here can help me find my way as i am about to invest in a new mac and would like to use the original Mbox ( Just simply because it sounds great and i don't feel like i should waste money if i don't need to ) ...not too mention i don't have a huge budget hehe

so , my questions are as follows :

* If i use Protools 8.0.1 with the original Mbox and on Leopard 10.5 as everyone says i should ...would it pose any problems if i would use it on a NEW 27" Imac. ? When i say NEW i mean the newer processors which supposedly some people are having issues with.

If so , would i have the same issues if i bought myself an older generation Imac 27"- like the dual core technology chip instead and would this work just as well or would it defeat my purpose ?

* If i were to daisy chain hard drives and devices ( usb or firewire ) , would this pose any issues on performance/ speed ?

* Can i use Time machine with PT ? or does this have to be disabled?

I can't thank you enough. Sorry but for a newbie there is way too much information to sift through in the forums and i think it's better i just started a new thread rather than trying to chase for an answer which may take me days to figure out .

Thanks !!!!!!!
Old 05-18-2010, 02:47 PM

Default Re: New 27" imac / "original" mbox - need some clear advice.please help !!

The issue is going to be any new Mac will come with Snow Leopard and the original Mbox and Pro Tools are not supported on this platform.

Options:

1) Run bootcamp and use the Original Mbox.
2) Upgrade your digi hardware.

I was lucky to sell my original Mbox just weeks before the EOSS announcement, i was glad to see the back of it.

No more core audio manager and multi client core audio driver is worth the upgarde alone IMHO.
Old 05-18-2010, 05:06 PM

Default Any suggestions

I have a mbox2 and PT LE 8.03. i am planning on buying a MAC since I have never had any success with my windows machine and PT.

Here is the MAC I am looking at.....

http://store.apple.com/us/configure/...co=MTM3NDc2NDE

Any issues you experts could point out? I am new to the scene.

(I know I would need a second hard drive.)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 05-19-2010, 05:42 AM

Default Re: New 27" imac / "original" mbox - need some clear advice.please help !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dougfather View Post
The issue is going to be any new Mac will come with Snow Leopard and the original Mbox and Pro Tools are not supported on this platform.

Options:

1) Run bootcamp and use the Original Mbox.
2) Upgrade your digi hardware.

I was lucky to sell my original Mbox just weeks before the EOSS announcement, i was glad to see the back of it.

No more core audio manager and multi client core audio driver is worth the upgarde alone IMHO.

Hey Thanks for the reply .

well first off i was thinking i would "downgrade" whichever imac i buy to ( 10.5 ) leopard -so the new imac 27" , PT 8.0.1 and original mbox could run properly (i dont really mind if im not 100% current right now ) .....i just wanted to address the new mac 27" issues that i hear about and need to know if this would also cause issues with my original mbox .

??

also, what is bootcamp and what exactly is multi client core audio driver ?

sorry for the ignorance....

thanks again btw :)
Old 05-21-2010, 10:30 AM

bumpo :)