Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 12-03-2019, 09:21 PM

Default Updating Protools

Hi there,

I need advice on updating Protools please.

I have ingnored updates (to my frustration now) since purchasing the product and since mid 2016 when the standard support and upgrade plan ran out. I purchased the education version of the product.

My protools now unexpected quits all sessions regularly. I have updated nearly all plug-ins except for Falcon AAX, Space, XPand II, First AIR Effects Bundle. I regularly use the standard protools plug-ins.

XPand II and First Air Effects Bundle require me to get a new support plan.

Will getting a new standard support and upgrade plan enable me to download the rest of the plug-ins and fix the program crashing?

Do I need to upgrade out of 12.1.0? I would prefer not to.

Thanks.

I have
- Protools 12.1.0
- OSX Yosomite 10.10.3
- 3.1 GHz Intel core i5, 32 G memory
- Motu 828mk3 & Motu 8pre
- Komplete 10
Old 12-04-2019, 11:21 AM

Default Re: Updating Protools

We could do with a LOT more info like:
What are you doing when PT crashes?
Any wireless stuff going on like internet, etc?
What error message are coming up (if any)?

Try moving all third party plugins to the unused plugins folder and see if you still get crashes.

Getting back on a support/upgrade plan might help but we don't know for sure. Keep in mind that with recent changes on Avid's part reinstatement to a permanent license goes away as of the end of this year. You could reinstate to a subscription that's either yearly or monthly but if you let the payment lapse your PT will no longer work. Current reinstatement to a permanent license is $299 US. That gets you a license asset for PT10/11/12/2019.

QAPLA!
Old 12-04-2019, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
We could do with a LOT more info like:
What are you doing when PT crashes?
Any wireless stuff going on like internet, etc?
What error message are coming up (if any)?

Try moving all third party plugins to the unused plugins folder and see if you still get crashes.

Getting back on a support/upgrade plan might help but we don't know for sure. Keep in mind that with recent changes on Avid's part reinstatement to a permanent license goes away as of the end of this year. You could reinstate to a subscription that's either yearly or monthly but if you let the payment lapse your PT will no longer work. Current reinstatement to a permanent license is $299 US. That gets you a license asset for PT10/11/12/2019.
Thank you for your response. I really appreciate it! I have not followed developments with Avid, so very new to this.

I will try to find out information to your questions and respond.

In regards to the support/ upgrade plan, you mentioned changes on Avid's part-
'reinstatement to a permanent license goes away as of the end of this year'.

What does this mean? Are all permanent licenses (my permanent education license) not honored and they want users to move to yearly subscriptions at cost, Or do I need to 'reinstate' (what do you mean by reinstate) my perpetual education license?

Also, if I do reinstate to a yearly subscription license am I moving out of 12.1.0 to newer versions, and then will I have to upgrade OS X, computer and other software?

Thank you for your help, appreciate it.
Old 12-04-2019, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigs View Post
Thank you for your response. I really appreciate it! I have not followed developments with Avid, so very new to this.

I will try to find out information to your questions and respond.

In regards to the support/ upgrade plan, you mentioned changes on Avid's part- 'reinstatement to a permanent license goes away as of the end of this year'.

What does this mean? Are all permanent licenses (my permanent education license) not honored and they want users to move to yearly subscriptions at cost, Or do I need to 'reinstate' (what do you mean by reinstate) my perpetual education license?

Also, if I do reinstate to a yearly subscription license am I moving out of 12.1.0 to newer versions, and then will I have to upgrade OS X, computer and other software?

Thank you for your help, appreciate it.
You completely misunderstood what I wrote about the reinstatement. The ability to get a reinstatement to a permanent license if you're not on a current plan goes away at the end of this year. Nothing happens to any permanent license one owns. Not sure about educational licenses though.

You'll have to update to a newer version of OSX with newer versions of PT. Your best bet on that would be to grab a copy of the installer (not updater) for OSX 10.13.6. I don't know if the video card in your iMac supports Metal which is what's needed for Mojave and beyond. You shouldn't have to upgrade your computer itself BUT - I'd change out the system drive in their for an SSD. The internal spinner in those iMacs generates a lot of heat and has been known to cause failures of the video card - I know because that's what killed my iMac. OWC has the tools and parts to do the job.

Which specific iMac do you have? My now dead iMac is a mid 2011 27 inch as shown in my profile.

QAPLA!
Old 12-04-2019, 08:14 PM

Hi Jack,

Thank you for your reply. Appreciate it. Yes I own the same year- see below. Sounds like I'm up for a major renewal of my system and software. Thanks again.

I own a:
iMac (27-inch, Mid 2011); 3.1 GHz Intel Core i5, 32 GB 1333 MHz DDR3, AMD Radeon HD 6970M 1024 MB
Old 12-05-2019, 03:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigs View Post
Hi Jack,

Thank you for your reply. Appreciate it. Yes I own the same year- see below. Sounds like I'm up for a major renewal of my system and software. Thanks again.

I own a:
iMac (27-inch, Mid 2011); 3.1 GHz Intel Core i5, 32 GB 1333 MHz DDR3, AMD Radeon HD 6970M 1024 MB
Mine is/was the i7 version. Capable machine when you change out that spinner system drive for an ssd. I know a fellow that has use of only one arm due to a stroke some years back and he can change out the drive in 30 minutes all told (open up/swap the drive/close up). Like I said OWC has the tools and they also have a great video on how to do the work.

BTW - does your optical drive still work? If not some people change those out for an ssd as well.

QAPLA!