Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-16-2013, 02:00 AM

Default Will Magma ExpressBox 3T add latency?

... additionally, any info if it would run Accel cards too?
Old 02-16-2013, 06:56 AM

Default Re: Will Magma ExpressBox 3T add latency?

Electronics 101 - If you put a signal on one end of a wire, it will not come out the other end of the wire at exactly the same time! There will be a delay!

Electronics 101.a - This delay is sometimes referred to as latency.

Now, to the question at hand...

Does the Magma ExpressBox 3T connect to your computer with a wire? Well, actually it's a cable, but yes, it does connect with a wire.

Will Magma ExpressBox 3T add latency? You should be able to figure that out for yourself from the information I've given.

Will this latency be audible? Absolutely!

Keep in mind that electricity travels at roughly the speed of light, or 186,000 miles per second, so...If your studio computer is located on Earth and the Magma ExpressBox 3T is located on Pluto, which is like a gazillion miles away, there would be audible latency.

How much latency would there be? It's Saturday morning...you do the freaking math! And by the way, you'd be wrong!

Given the volts and amps and distance involved, the poor little electrons would have fallen over gasping for air long before they got to Pluto, much less back from there, so you'd hear nothing!

(And yes, I know about induction, but most people who have such a poor excuse for a life that they've bothered to read this far probably don't, so let's not confuse the issue. Capice?)

Now (slap!), a dose of reality. Would the "wire latency" involved with the Magma ExpressBox 3T be noticeable under real-world conditions? Probably not.

Now aren't you glad you asked (and read this far)...
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh
Old 02-16-2013, 07:11 AM

Ha ha very funny.

From the past I know some Magma chassis'es have introduced additional latency when used with Pro Tools HD systems and then again some other Magma items have not.

http://duc.avid.com/archive/index.php/t-284507.html
Old 02-16-2013, 10:10 AM

Out of everyone who's used any brand of Thunderbolt to PCIe chassis, I've not heard anybody mention any latency problem. They seem to be working great for everyone.

Thunderbolt uses the PCIe protocol, so the computer sees it no differently than it would an internal PCIe card.

As to the other question, HD TDM cards are not compatible, and I doubt they ever will be, as Avid has no incentive to bring compatibility to a discontinued system.
Old 02-16-2013, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
Out of everyone who's used any brand of Thunderbolt to PCIe chassis, I've not heard anybody mention any latency problem. They seem to be working great for everyone.

Thunderbolt uses the PCIe protocol, so the computer sees it no differently than it would an internal PCIe card.

As to the other question, HD TDM cards are not compatible, and I doubt they ever will be, as Avid has no incentive to bring compatibility to a discontinued system.
Thanks. I don't quite understand what you mean by Accel cards not being compatible. I can understand they will not be officially supported, but compatibility should be no problem since they are PCIe cards like any other. Would just like to know if someone has actually tried it or not, but I guess I should be asking in TDM forum instead.
Old 02-16-2013, 11:38 AM

It's not that simple. With Thunderbolt, the company that makes the PCIe cards has to specifically make a driver for the cards to be recognized. Avid has done so for HDX and HD Native, but I don't think they plan to for any of the other cards.
Old 02-16-2013, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Denton View Post
Electronics 101 - If you put a signal on one end of a wire, it will not come out the other end of the wire at exactly the same time! There will be a delay!

Electronics 101.a - This delay is sometimes referred to as latency.

Now, to the question at hand...

Does the Magma ExpressBox 3T connect to your computer with a wire? Well, actually it's a cable, but yes, it does connect with a wire.

Will Magma ExpressBox 3T add latency? You should be able to figure that out for yourself from the information I've given.

Will this latency be audible? Absolutely!

Keep in mind that electricity travels at roughly the speed of light, or 186,000 miles per second, so...If your studio computer is located on Earth and the Magma ExpressBox 3T is located on Pluto, which is like a gazillion miles away, there would be audible latency.

How much latency would there be? It's Saturday morning...you do the freaking math! And by the way, you'd be wrong!

Given the volts and amps and distance involved, the poor little electrons would have fallen over gasping for air long before they got to Pluto, much less back from there, so you'd hear nothing!

(And yes, I know about induction, but most people who have such a poor excuse for a life that they've bothered to read this far probably don't, so let's not confuse the issue. Capice?)

Now (slap!), a dose of reality. Would the "wire latency" involved with the Magma ExpressBox 3T be noticeable under real-world conditions? Probably not.

Now aren't you glad you asked (and read this far)...
lol

Wave-T.com
Old 02-19-2013, 06:22 PM

My POV for answer #2.
I think Mr. Denton should do the math just to follow through with the Electronics 101/101a...

I'd rather think of content relevance.