Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-17-2013, 03:24 PM

Default Anyone using a ART Digital MPA with their 002 console? HELP!!!

If so how did you get it to work?
I have tried hooking it up via S/PIDF & I am having clocking issues ( Distortion that sounds like fret buzz) PT10 not seeing the MPA or S/PIDIF inputs.
I got it work yesterday after several hours of trying went to open a new session today & no go help!
Old 12-17-2013, 08:58 PM

Default Re: Anyone using a ART Digital MPA with their 002 console? HELP!!!

I guess no ones using this old stuff but me.
Old 12-17-2013, 09:01 PM

I bet you haven't set the clock source right Go into Setup>Hardware and check these 2 things;
#1- Optical=ADAT and SPDIF=RCA
#2- Clock Source=SPDIF
Whenever you connect more than one device via digital connections(exactly what this calls for), there MUST be only 1 master clock source, and all other devices must slave to that master. In this case, the ART will be the master, so make SURE the sample rate on the ART matches your sessions(most of us have made this mistake once). Keep in mind that Pro Tools, depending on the version, may forget the clock source setting each time you power up the system(I kept a Post-it on my screen edge reminding me to set clock source. After a few weeks, it got to be second nature

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 12-18-2013, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
I bet you haven't set the clock source right Go into Setup>Hardware and check these 2 things;
#1- Optical=ADAT and SPDIF=RCA
#2- Clock Source=SPDIF
Whenever you connect more than one device via digital connections(exactly what this calls for), there MUST be only 1 master clock source, and all other devices must slave to that master. In this case, the ART will be the master, so make SURE the sample rate on the ART matches your sessions(most of us have made this mistake once). Keep in mind that Pro Tools, depending on the version, may forget the clock source setting each time you power up the system(I kept a Post-it on my screen edge reminding me to set clock source. After a few weeks, it got to be second nature
That did the trick! THANK YOU!

What is weird is that when I set the digital rate to 44.1 on the MPA I have the noise problem (The session is 44.1) when I set the MPA to 48 it works! All I can think is the knob on the front of the MPA is 1 setting ahead. (Maybe the pot rotated over the years)

Anyway I opened it up & it has a nice set of Mullards & sounds much better that pres in my 002 2 extra channels of input that sounds great to my ears not bad for $200 including shipping.
I was thinking I might go in rotate the the pot to the proper position. I am not sure if its mounted to front panel or a PC board but for now I just make a note in my head thats its 1 setting ahead.
Thanks again!