Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 12-17-2020, 12:25 PM

Default PT Crashes Immediately on Launch

PT quits immediately on launching. Checked iLok, re-installed PT 2018, upgraded to 2020, trashed preferences. Nothing works. Began after an unnoticed screen recording filled up my main drive. Deleted the big screen-record video file. I even wiped the drive and started over from Time Machine. Everything works fine...except Pro Tools. This is an new iMac bought in April. Pro Tools has worked perfectly on it until this incident. Using PT to work from home. With Fox Television Stations. Any advice appreciated.
Old 12-18-2020, 06:40 AM

Default Re: PT Crashes Immediately on Launch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narr8rdanny View Post
PT quits immediately on launching. Checked iLok, re-installed PT 2018, upgraded to 2020, trashed preferences. Nothing works. Began after an unnoticed screen recording filled up my main drive. Deleted the big screen-record video file. I even wiped the drive and started over from Time Machine. Everything works fine...except Pro Tools. This is an new iMac bought in April. Pro Tools has worked perfectly on it until this incident. Using PT to work from home. With Fox Television Stations. Any advice appreciated.

Hi,

So you definitely uninstalled everything and trashed all the prefs before a fresh install? definitely any old or out of date plugins left over were all trashed before installing?

repair disk permissions after trashing prefs and reinstalling?

What OS?

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 12-18-2020, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narr8rdanny View Post
Is that factory fresh OS install of have you done the clean install that you should?
Old 12-18-2020, 01:58 PM

I did not uninstall plugins. I guess I should do all that before going forward. I installed Pro Tools First this morning, just to see if that would work. It didn't. Same exact issue. Something in there is stopping this launch right in its tracks.
Will try the full uninstall.
Thanks!
Old 12-18-2020, 02:02 PM

Two things you need to check.

First of all you mentioned Time Machine, which is not a good idea. Do a clean install and copy stuff manually. That is the way to go.

Second thing, you mentioned new hardware. Have you checked the compatibility info, are you on supported OS or upgraded to latest?