Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 12-15-2020, 12:08 PM

Default Upgrading to iMac - PT compatibility questions

Hello friends! The mid2012 MBP has run its course and I am purchasing a new iMac.

Are there any compatibility issues or considerations with the new 2020 iMac i7 3.8ghz?

At $2350, it's a lot of money for me--but I want something robust that's going to last a while. I see older i7s for $1000 cheaper but they do not have SSD. Or--should I be waiting for the new ARM iMac in 2021?

I currently own PT 11. Would I need to downgrade the OS to Yosemite in order to run PT 11? Is that an option?

Is there a way to use PT 11 on my new computer? Or do I have to go with the subscription deal if I want to continue with PT?

Please let me know if any other considerations come to mind before I pull the trigger on the new iMac. Thanks very much for any thoughts or suggestions!

Last edited by toddamo; 12-15-2020 at 04:01 PM. Reason: Typos galore!
Old 12-16-2020, 06:28 AM

Default Re: Upgrading to iMac - PT compatibility questions

Hi.
I started a reply here yesterday, but as I did a bit of research I found that what I had intended to offer as suggestions didn't actually quite add up. So I dropped it. Now I see you still haven't got any replies, I'll give it another shot.

Two essential things;
1. Last version of OSX that PT11 supports: 10.10 Yosemity.
2. Apple has made it so you can't install older versions of OS than what the mac was shipped with. (There might be workarounds, I don't know.)

So, either you buy a used compatible machine to replace the MBP, or you upgrade PT aswell as the mac.

A good resource for info on apple machines is:
https://everymac.com/
There you'll find that the latest model iMac to run Yosemity is the "late 2014 i7"), which seems to be an OK machine except it has a slow internal HD, and USB3 ports only. I was going to suggest you buy a cheap but fast mac and install an external SSD on it, but I think that would require Thunderbolt ports. It might be an option to replace the internal HD with a fast SSD on this 2014 imac.

Alternatively, you get that brand new 2020 imac and go to PT subscription with the very latest version. So, costly, and you lock yourself to the subscription. Or you buy a perpetual license, USD 600.

Also, there might be in-between-like solutions, like a 2017 mac - PT 12 perpetual - Sierra, all used, and variations of that.

Here's a good place to get an idea of mac models performances:
https://browser.geekbench.com/
(Single-core benchmarks said to be most relevant to PT.)

Why are you getting a new mac?
Could you elaborate a bit please?

It would also help if you outlined a bit on what you use it for and what other gear you have, like interface, ins/outs, so on.
Do you use the mac for other things?
Old 12-16-2020, 09:31 AM

Ben--you are a prince for your detailed answer! Thank you.

It seems like my plan to drag PT 11 into the future isn't the best bet. I am just arriving at the realization that my choices for PT are --> $30 per month or $300 per year--or purchasing a perpetual license for $600. If I go the perpetual route, that will be my 3rd full purchase of Pro Tools in 20 years.

I am very comfortable on PT after 20 years and frankly don't want to learn a new DAW. However, Studio One for $400 is starting to look more attractive. I've read lots of great things about it.

I need a new computer workstation as I've been stretching my 2012 MBP as far as I can. I'm also in the market for a new audio interface. So it's a lot of costs at once.

In terms of workflow, I don't use any outboard gear. I trigger everything via MIDI through a Novation keyboard. I mostly record solo, but occasionally will track another musician--at least in pre-covid days.

I posted something just about the 2020 iMac on a Mac site. A lot of those folks are telling me that it's worth waiting for the new ARM iMacs that will come out next year.

Thanks again for any input! Like many of us--I just want to be making music.
Old 12-17-2020, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddamo View Post
I am very comfortable on PT after 20 years and frankly don't want to learn a new DAW. However, Studio One for $400 is starting to look more attractive. I've read lots of great things about it.

At the moment, because you have a competitive DAW (PT), Studio One Professional Crossgrade is slightly less painful at $299. Audiodeluxe also has a "Deluxe Bucks" offer of $29.99 on top, useful for future purchases. See https://www.audiodeluxe.com/products...nal-crossgrade

I'm with you on PT familiarity, but the pricing of PT Upgrades is objectionable for me. I bought Studio One (from AD) and am slowly finding the path forward. I'd thought of S1 as a useable MIDI solution (to a problem that I don't encounter much), but I'm liking it for even more than that. The "Project Page" for mastering is cool.
Old 12-24-2020, 03:31 PM

Hi Bob! Thanks for the encouraging post. It's weird that there are emotions tied into software transitions. But we spend so much time investing and working with these things. I'd really prefer not to switch as I'm comfortable. But, the costs are starting to outweigh the long term benefits.

It's good to hear you've had a good experience transitioning to Studio One. I have some sense that it will be good in the end as it will present me with some different creative and compositional options. It's been a good 20 year run with Pro Tools. I was on a Tascam 4-track cassette prior to that.