Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 12-10-2020, 12:27 PM

Default Export multiple clips, but adding handles

I'm chopping up footstep foley so that I can trigger the steps from a Kontakt instrument, and have learned that you can save multiple clips as multiple files using CMD-SHIFT-K.

It would be extra-nice to be able to add a quarter second handle/pad at the beginning and end of each file, as that would give me just that much more to work with in triggering and cropping the files from within the instrument.

Is there any way to export files with an added handle?
Old 12-10-2020, 04:38 PM

Default Re: Export multiple clips, but adding handles

Hmmm, I would think for use as samples, you would want to trim the clips tight to the initial waveform? You can certainly highlight a clip>hold the SHIFT key>drag left the desired amount(adding to the selection) and Consolidate. With lots of clips to treat, that could be tedious, so you might place each clip on its own track>snap each clip to the same point in the timeline>make a group of all tracks>do the above edit and consolidate(being a group, each clip would get the same added handle on the front). As I don't do much of this type of edit(I work in music, but not post), maybe another user will have a better option

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 12-10-2020, 04:43 PM

Well, the reason I'm interested in this is that the Kontakt instrument allows you to determine where in the .wav to start playing, so I was thinking that there could be times that I'd like to go back and start playing "before the beginning" of the wav, if that makes sense. So rendering each wav with an extra quarter or half second of the original file on it may be helpful.
Old 01-01-2021, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewie3128 View Post
It would be extra-nice to be able to add a quarter second handle/pad at the beginning and end of each file, as that would give me just that much more to work with in triggering and cropping the files from within the instrument.

Is there any way to export files with an added handle?
I use Edward Foley, which is a Kontakt instrument too, and what I’ve noticed is when feet are isolated (no cloth sound) you don’t need any audio before the initial sound. You ask a great question, but for this instance my advice would be to not worry about handles in the foot samples because any noise coming before the attack wouldn’t be foot sound.

A few times I have had a close up shot of bare feet doing something specific and I have had to set the samples aside and record actual feet to picture.
High Sierra 10.13.6
ProTools 2019.12.0

Artist mix/Control
Axiom 48
G-Raid External Drive
...Nintendo Switch