How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 06-28-2020, 06:05 PM

Default Re: ProTools with wireless headphones + Bluetooth codecs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Still not enough info about what you are doing. Are you are playing a VI inside Pro Tools? From a MIDI keyboard? or recording analog audio from an external keyboard? Using Pro Tools to play backing tracks only and say not recording anything into pro Tools? Or using some other app to play percussion or backing music while you record MIDI? or analog keyboard? into Pro Tools?

Specifically why do you need Soundsource? Very few people need to use that. Are you say using separate VI software (what one?) and want to track that into Pro Tools via Soundsource (and why?) Are you having to do that for the audio quality isseus at the start of this thread?

And especially if you are just playing through a Pro Tools VI you don't need any of this... no aggregate, no Soundsource, nothing. Just set the bluetooth headphones as the playback engine.

Edit: and even if you need more, start by getting the headphones running directly from Pro Tools as the playback engine and confirm that works. Do you have audio quality issues?

As for the aggregate device I'm not followign what you are having problems with. If you are not sure how to add devices to an aggregate look that up online/youtube etc. I am sure there are lots of tutortials. A common point of confusion can be with devcies that say are not powered up/paired with the Mac and so won't appear in the list of devices you an add to an aggregate. Or post screenshots of Audio-MIDI setup if things are not behaving as you expect them to.
Yes, I'm using xPand2 via an Akai MPK261 controller. All I want is to be able to practice my keyboard routine wirelessly - that's it. Initially I was able to select my bluetooth headphones in Playback Engine, but for some reason that's no longer the case and I can't figure out why. Looking more into this has only confused me more, and I feel like the solution is either much simpler as you indicated, or not possible. Thanks for the help so far.
Old 07-09-2020, 03:37 AM

The one you want is airfoil. look it up it just came out. Same company. It’ll do what you’re asking for

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 07-09-2020, 03:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinsong View Post
The one you want is airfoil. look it up it just came out. Same company. It’ll do what you’re asking for

Airfoil has been out for some time. At least 10 years if not more.

But yes, great app. Rogue Amoeba make great utilities for the Mac. Highly recommended.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-16-2020, 07:31 AM

Bluetooth support only came out 4 years back and Catalina support about just last year. So what’s the point of getting a ten year old version if it’s not going to work.

Old 07-16-2020, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Bluetooth support only came out 4 years back and Catalina support about just last year. So what’s the point of getting a ten year old version if it’s not going to work.

Yes. That’s what I recommended... to get a 10 year old version of the app.

Shrugs...

Old 07-17-2020, 07:34 AM

Sadly enough, I did try to get a 10 year old version of the app, and it doesn’t work on snow leopard. Apparently, the operating system doesn’t support it. I’m not sure about lion for Bluetooth support (not the app). However, those are the last operating systems that can run rtas plugs on 10. In other words, no Bluetooth on pt 10

Old 07-17-2020, 07:39 AM

Default ProTools with wireless headphones + Bluetooth codecs

Quote:
Sadly enough, I did try to get a 10 year old version of the app, and it doesn’t work on snow leopard. Apparently, the operating system doesn’t support it. I’m not sure about lion for Bluetooth support (not the app). However, those are the last operating systems that can run rtas plugs on 10. In other words, no Bluetooth on pt 10

Actually, mountain lion 10.8 can run pt 10. However, some hardware won’t run mountain lion

Last edited by spinsong; 08-28-2020 at 08:24 AM.
Old 07-17-2020, 08:13 AM

Another note, unfortunately, what you gain in functionality, you lose in outdated software and hardware. So to keep up with the curve, you need to constantly update which means keeping your eye out for new versions or functionality of software or hardware that could keep up with your additional requirements.

Old 11-28-2020, 01:21 AM

I ran into this problem while trying to use airpods during zoom lectures wherein we needed to use pro tools. After trying every suggestion on this thread the only solution I found to work (and is free) is as follows;

Using a mid 2014 Macbook Pro running Big Sur 11.0.1, however have tried with with Catalina and works fine too.
Pro Tools version 2020.9.1.

(1) Download Blackhole. An open source audio routing app from Existential Audio. There's a 2ch or 16ch version, the 2ch is perfectly fine for this situation.

https://existential.audio/blackhole/

(2) Then download LadioCast from the Mac Store. This is basically a free mini internal mixing desk for your mac.

https://apps.apple.com/ie/app/ladioc...11213048?mt=12

(3) Connect your bluetooth headphones to your mac and create a multi output device in Audio Midi Setup selecting the bluetooth headphones as output.
If you want to direct audio to your internal speakers or audio interface alongside your headphones then click 'Use' on whichever ones you need.

I only needed output to my airpods however found that for whatever reason I still needed to create a multi output device for this to work. I think it's to do with my mac recognising the airpods and two different outputs for left and right. So routing them through a multi output seems to do the trick.

(4) Open LadioCast and set Input 1 as 'Blackhole 2ch'. Then set the Main Output as whatever you named your new multi output device, i.e, your bluetooth earphones.

(5) In protools go to playback engine and set it as 'Blackhole 2ch'.

And that should be it.
Old 12-27-2020, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardi View Post
Here’s a different suggestion.

Download the trial version of Loopback by Rogue Amoeba and route Pro Tools through that with the destination being the Mac output which you say works with the headphones. This layer in between might allow it to work.

It’s a handy app that lets you route all manner of audio between apps and interfaces. Kind of like a virtual patchbay for your Mac.

It will introduce a bit of latency, but if your just mixing etc. it should be fine.

Yep, just got some Airpod Pros & wanted to test them with Pro Tools as another source to check mixes with.

As the original poster found, selecting them in PT directly (or using an aggregate device) throws up a sample rate error (I'm actually trying to play back a 96khz session to make things harder).

Using Loopback audio as the playback engine works great, & PT is happily streaming out to the AirPods at 96k. Hideous latency of course, but a non-issue unless you are trying to write automation in realtime

B Rig: (Home/Office). M1 Mac Studio - 64gb ram - OSX 12.7.1, PT Ultimate2023.6, HD Native Thunderbolt, Omni, Avid Artist Control

http://www.lostboysstudio.com