Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 03-23-2020, 08:01 AM

Default Re: ProTools with wireless headphones + Bluetooth codecs

I've been using menubus free for my sennheiser BTNC 4.50, select it on playback engine and everything run smoothly. Sadly it was discontinued but the free version still up but with no support for newer OS
Old 03-31-2020, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillofbeans View Post
OK, so I figured it out...

After entertaining many, many options, the solution was amazingly (and dumb on my part) simple.

All I did was to use the PT Aggregate I/O and remove EVERYTHING, except the output of my Bluetooth headphones.

PT only freaks out when the headphones' mic is selected.

Thanks for everyone's input on this. Really appreciate the support
Hello, I am having the same problem that you had, and the only thing I have found that seems reliable is the Source Nexus Pro option ($ 295) + Audio Hijack ($ 72), but I think it's too much of an investment for me, if I'm only going to use it sporadically to check or edit some jobs when I'm not in a studio. And then I found your publications and understood that you had managed to solve this without installing third-party software, only with setup configuration ?, I know that in your last publication you explain how you did it ("All I did was to use the PT Aggregate I / O and remove EVERYTHING, except the output of my Bluetooth headphones "), but excuse me if I'm a bit clumsy and ask if you could please help me configure it as you have it? I don't know how to "remove EVERYTHING", and if the changes are within Protools setup or from system preferences or both. I would appreciate any help, unfortunately in Madrid these days we have to stay a long time at home and take advantage to telework and update my audio tools. I hope that where you and yours are well. Thank you very much, greetings and good health!
Old 06-01-2020, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillofbeans View Post
OK, so I figured it out...

After entertaining many, many options, the solution was amazingly (and dumb on my part) simple.

All I did was to use the PT Aggregate I/O and remove EVERYTHING, except the output of my Bluetooth headphones.

PT only freaks out when the headphones' mic is selected.

Thanks for everyone's input on this. Really appreciate the support

By remove everything, you mean all other playback engine devices? I really want to make this work too!
Old 06-04-2020, 04:18 PM

I got it to work on my iMac using SoundSource. Once the app is installed you have an option to "Add apps", a green button at the bottom of the screen.

Click on that and add "ProTools". It is now selectable to not "Redirect", meaning it follows the rules for the app... mine is set for my Aggregate device... but you can select to go to your Pods, or whatever, once they are connected. (I've got some BeyerDynamic Amiron Bluetooth phones coming next week... anxious to use this option on my next plane trip.)

It DOES play stereo and sounds quite decent.

In the SoundSource prefs, I'd recommend checking the option for "Super Volume Keys" which allows you to use the volume keys on the Mac at ALL TIMES, even if you're using an aggregate device.

Hope this helps... let me know if you need screen shots.

Last edited by Eric Seaberg; 06-04-2020 at 04:47 PM.
Old 06-05-2020, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Seaberg View Post
I got it to work on my iMac using SoundSource. Once the app is installed you have an option to "Add apps", a green button at the bottom of the screen.

Click on that and add "ProTools". It is now selectable to not "Redirect", meaning it follows the rules for the app... mine is set for my Aggregate device... but you can select to go to your Pods, or whatever, once they are connected. (I've got some BeyerDynamic Amiron Bluetooth phones coming next week... anxious to use this option on my next plane trip.)

It DOES play stereo and sounds quite decent.

In the SoundSource prefs, I'd recommend checking the option for "Super Volume Keys" which allows you to use the volume keys on the Mac at ALL TIMES, even if you're using an aggregate device.

Hope this helps... let me know if you need screen shots.

Really appreciate the greater detail here, but I'm still not sure how this is to work in playback engine? Pro Tools is added and redirected to my bluetooth headphones but regardless of what is selected in playback engine, I'm not hearing anything through the headphones.
Old 06-06-2020, 10:06 AM

My playback engine is always set to Aggregate.

Once ProTools is added in the SoundSource list, you can select to redirect it or not. Not sure what else to tell you... it's working here.
Old 06-06-2020, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Seaberg View Post
My playback engine is always set to Aggregate.

Once ProTools is added in the SoundSource list, you can select to redirect it or not. Not sure what else to tell you... it's working here.
I'm still relatively unfamiliar with PT and this tech in general, really trying to learn here but I'm not sure what I'm misunderstanding. SoundSource is connected to ProTools and redirected to my bluetooth headphones, and it doesn't matter what is selected in playback engine (whether aggregate or the headphones themselves), nothing is played through headphones. What am I missing? Again really appreciate the help.
Old 06-06-2020, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanemeralds View Post
I'm still relatively unfamiliar with PT and this tech in general, really trying to learn here but I'm not sure what I'm misunderstanding. SoundSource is connected to ProTools and redirected to my bluetooth headphones, and it doesn't matter what is selected in playback engine (whether aggregate or the headphones themselves), nothing is played through headphones. What am I missing? Again really appreciate the help.
What exactly are you trying to do?

Why do you need Soundsource at all?

What you get output to from Pro Tools depends on more than just selecting a playback engine, or having the correct devices configued into an aggregate device. You also need to assign the correct outputs in Pro Tools tracks, and Pro Tools may or may not have the names of those outputs even correct (In Setup>IO>{Input, Output, Bus} pages does the IO posts listed match what you think you should be getting for that aggregate device?
Old 06-06-2020, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
What exactly are you trying to do?

Why do you need Soundsource at all?

What you get output to from Pro Tools depends on more than just selecting a playback engine, or having the correct devices configued into an aggregate device. You also need to assign the correct outputs in Pro Tools tracks, and Pro Tools may or may not have the names of those outputs even correct (In Setup>IO>{Input, Output, Bus} pages does the IO posts listed match what you think you should be getting for that aggregate device?
I'm a keyboard player who would love to practice with my headphones' bluetooth capabilities, so it's really just to overcome the inconvenience of a short headphone cable.

Good point, I checked the I/O and while I have all necessary outputs for my Mbox and built-in-output playing (when I've got headphones connected to my laptop via a cable), the PT Aggregate itself is incomplete. I feel like I know what the issue is (creating an output path for headphones via the aggregate to link everything together) but between PT I/O and Audio MIDI setup I'm not sure what precisely needs to be done and in what order.
Old 06-06-2020, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanemeralds View Post
I'm a keyboard player who would love to practice with my headphones' bluetooth capabilities, so it's really just to overcome the inconvenience of a short headphone cable.

Good point, I checked the I/O and while I have all necessary outputs for my Mbox and built-in-output playing (when I've got headphones connected to my laptop via a cable), the PT Aggregate itself is incomplete. I feel like I know what the issue is (creating an output path for headphones via the aggregate to link everything together) but between PT I/O and Audio MIDI setup I'm not sure what precisely needs to be done and in what order.
Still not enough info about what you are doing. Are you are playing a VI inside Pro Tools? From a MIDI keyboard? or recording analog audio from an external keyboard? Using Pro Tools to play backing tracks only and say not recording anything into pro Tools? Or using some other app to play percussion or backing music while you record MIDI? or analog keyboard? into Pro Tools?

Specifically why do you need Soundsource? Very few people need to use that. Are you say using separate VI software (what one?) and want to track that into Pro Tools via Soundsource (and why?) Are you having to do that for the audio quality isseus at the start of this thread?

And especially if you are just playing through a Pro Tools VI you don't need any of this... no aggregate, no Soundsource, nothing. Just set the bluetooth headphones as the playback engine.

Edit: and even if you need more, start by getting the headphones running directly from Pro Tools as the playback engine and confirm that works. Do you have audio quality issues?

As for the aggregate device I'm not followign what you are having problems with. If you are not sure how to add devices to an aggregate look that up online/youtube etc. I am sure there are lots of tutortials. A common point of confusion can be with devcies that say are not powered up/paired with the Mac and so won't appear in the list of devices you an add to an aggregate. Or post screenshots of Audio-MIDI setup if things are not behaving as you expect them to.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 06-06-2020 at 07:08 PM.