Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools | MTRX & MTRX Studio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-25-2020, 02:35 AM

Default MTRX with AVB connection ?

What will be next for MTRX ?
I know Avid never ever shows their cards... but since Carbon is now released with AVB, I hope Avid comes up with an optional card for the MTRX with 2 ethernet ports (AVB) and 8 hdx processors on it (same way as the new carbon)
So I can ditch my old HDX card & Thunderbold HD Native unit, and use the MTRX on any mac with the same power at hands.

Ah... hope is all I got

MTRX v.2.4.2.2 + dante card + madi baseunit + optical SFP 1300nm
MTRX-II v.1.0.5.2 + TB3 + 1x AD mic 8ch + 1x DA 8ch
+ madi baseunit + optical SFP 1300nm
MOM v.1.0.1.4 by DAD

Genelec 1237A Sam, Avantone active mixcubes
LA2a (1968), 1073 pre/eq, Neve RNHP, Wacom Intuos Pro
Furman P1400 AR E Power conditioner

Live-rack:
1x HD Native TB, 4x 192 I/O (64ch AD)
8x Yamaha HA-8 micpre, Rosendahl mif4,
Genelec 1031A, Presonus Monitor Station

Last edited by Johnny Hulst; 11-25-2020 at 02:50 AM.
Old 11-25-2020, 03:01 AM

Default Re: MTRX with AVB connection ?

I hope it is just a firmware update to use the existing MTRX Ethernet ports.
Old 11-25-2020, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Hulst View Post
What will be next for MTRX ?
I know Avid never ever shows their cards... but since Carbon is now released with AVB, I hope Avid comes up with an optional card for the MTRX with 2 ethernet ports (AVB) and 8 hdx processors on it (same way as the new carbon)
So I can ditch my old HDX card & Thunderbold HD Native unit, and use the MTRX on any mac with the same power at hands.

Ah... hope is all I got
Agreed! That would be good. G
Composer/Sound Designer/Protools 2024.3 Ultimate, MTRXII-TB3, DADMAN MOM, Cisco SG350-10MP EthernetHUB, KLANG:quelle 4 Channel Dante™Headphone Amp, DVS,MADI, Mac Studio Ultra,128 RAM/4TB SSD, Ventura 13.6.6, DP 11.3.1, Logic Pro X 10.8.1 DOLBY ATMOS Facility/MPSE Motion Picture Sound Editors Avid Certified Professional ProTools/Dolby ATMOS
Old 11-25-2020, 10:34 AM

Agreed. Many of us have substantial MTRX investments, and it's still a recent product introduction. But since it was developed by a third party, Digital Audio Denmark, I wouldn't be surprised if Avid simply releases an in-house, high-end version of their own Carbon interface, and leaves the MTRX unsupported as regards to Hybrid DSP. After all, I'm sure Avid is paying DAD a royalty on all MTRX sales.
Old 11-25-2020, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeOtherGuy View Post
Agreed. Many of us have substantial MTRX investments, and it's still a recent product introduction. But since it was developed by a third party, Digital Audio Denmark, I wouldn't be surprised if Avid simply releases an in-house, high-end version of their own Carbon interface, and leaves the MTRX unsupported as regards to Hybrid DSP. After all, I'm sure Avid is paying DAD a royalty on all MTRX sales.
Agreed. I think Avid is looking to in-house hardware moving forward, so I doubt that MTRX will get Avid's proprietary flavor of AVB. I think Hybrid mode will be available for anybody running a MTRX with HDX cards, once HDX Hybrid mode is available, but there will never be any DSP incorporated into the MTRX.
Old 11-25-2020, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalscottyg View Post
Agreed. I think Avid is looking to in-house hardware moving forward, so I doubt that MTRX will get Avid's proprietary flavor of AVB. I think Hybrid mode will be available for anybody running a MTRX with HDX cards, once HDX Hybrid mode is available, but there will never be any DSP incorporated into the MTRX.
They don't have a proprietary flavour of AVB, as it works with the implementation in macOS, it's just a proprietary implementation (see the Carbon FAQ). If it supports 32-bit float though, it can't be using the AM824 stream format, which means no AVB interoperability with the S3 (unless that gets a firmware update).

I asked NTP about an AVB card for the MTRX some time ago, and they had no plans. Perhaps Avid will develop one themselves.

I spent some time working on an AVB to AES67 bridge but it was challenging to implement reliably in software.