Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins

Old 07-23-2017, 07:50 AM

Default NI Maschine Studio Not recording Midi to Pro Tools 12 as a plugin

Hi,

I hope I'm posting in the right forum. I'm trying to use Maschine Studio as a plugin in Pro Tools 12.8.0 running Windows 10. When I press the pads I hear sound however midi notes do not appear in pro tools. I am able to trigger Maschine sounds and record with my M-Audio midi keyboard but not the Maschine. I tried placing maschine in controller mode but that didn't work. I also went into the maschine settings and chose host for midi, and turned midi on.

In Pro tools under instruments on the instrument track Maschine is inserted on, Maschine is greyed out with a message saying "N/A because possible feedback loop detected" I did try to manually map the maschine in midi studio and I even added midi cables to my digi 003 in case for some reason midi wasn't transported via USB. This did not work. Of course in the NI forums I'm hearing this is a Pro Tools issue since it works as a plugin in other DAWs. I'm not sure if it is or isn't but I'm hoping someone may have a fix over here.
Old 07-23-2017, 09:44 AM

Default Re: NI Maschine Studio Not recording Midi to Pro Tools 12 as a plugin

Sounds like maybe you should try the idea of instantiating Maschine on an aux track and make a midi track, which has Maschine asigned as an output, to trigger Maschine. Might work, might not.
Old 07-23-2017, 08:30 PM

Have you followed these steps?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ScjVqnzgG8

Wave-T.com
Old 07-25-2017, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael_Knight View Post
Hi,

I hope I'm posting in the right forum. I'm trying to use Maschine Studio as a plugin in Pro Tools 12.8.0 running Windows 10. When I press the pads I hear sound however midi notes do not appear in pro tools. I am able to trigger Maschine sounds and record with my M-Audio midi keyboard but not the Maschine. I tried placing maschine in controller mode but that didn't work. I also went into the maschine settings and chose host for midi, and turned midi on.

In Pro tools under instruments on the instrument track Maschine is inserted on, Maschine is greyed out with a message saying "N/A because possible feedback loop detected" I did try to manually map the maschine in midi studio and I even added midi cables to my digi 003 in case for some reason midi wasn't transported via USB. This did not work. Of course in the NI forums I'm hearing this is a Pro Tools issue since it works as a plugin in other DAWs. I'm not sure if it is or isn't but I'm hoping someone may have a fix over here.
The feedback loop warning is there for a reason! Otherwise you would hear each drum triggered twice, once from Maschine's internal connection and once patched through Pro Tools. It doesn't work in other DAWS for the same reason.

There is a workaround though and you nearly found it! Maschine needs to be in controller mode but Pro Tools won't record it's output unless you go to Setup>MIDI>MIDI Input Enable in PT and turn Maschine Virtual Input on, (it defaults to off.) Then hit the Group C button on Maschine in controller mode which should select the correct octave.

It's a bit clunky and you lose the pad colours but it does work. Maschine really needs a "Local Control Off" mode like most hardware synths so you can use it as a standalone sound module and sequence in Pro Tools without switching to controller mode. I asked them about it but they weren't interested.

Last edited by Marsdy; 07-25-2017 at 10:12 AM.
Old 10-15-2019, 01:34 AM

Hi there i have the exact problem like yours have you managed to fix this problem because i am sinking ????