How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-09-2011, 03:54 PM

Default New 11R convert

Hi,
First post here, from a long-time recording guitarist who got tired of having to mic up his live-rig at home. I recieved the 11R today, and after an hour of playing with it (assisted by the manual) I started recording a session track with really satisfying results.
I'm using the 11R's main-outs into the inputs of an Apogee Duet, and then into Cubase, and it seems to work great. No latency or monitoring problems, and really impressed with the recorded sounds (and I've barely got into tweeking the preset sounds).
Hopefully I can call on you guys for advice over the coming weeks/months, and in time be able to repay said advice to newcomers.
Cheers!
Jordan
------------------------------
www.jordanhumber.co.uk
Old 02-09-2011, 03:56 PM

Default Re: New 11R convert

Enjoy your new toy!

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 02-09-2011, 04:08 PM

Location: Northern tip of the gorgeous Wasatch mountain range

Glad to have you here. There are many who are happy to offer their experience and knowledge when needed, though the pace of this forum isn't as fast as some. Consider it more relaxed.
Old 02-09-2011, 04:19 PM

Welcome to the dark side.........Lol

Or just welcome........
Old 02-09-2011, 07:15 PM

I'm glad you're liking it, but I'm not sure why you're going into the Apogee Duet with it. You're losing any quality advantage because of the extra step of ad/da conversion.

Is there a reason you can't just use the 11R as your interface with Cubase via USB?
Old 02-10-2011, 12:12 AM

Glad your having such a positive experience already!

All the guys here are awesome. Benoni is probably the best technical resource of the bunch aside from C.T. and Chimp with Avid but basically everyone here is more than capable and eager to lend a helping hand as you need it.

Welcome aboard! :)
Old 02-10-2011, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
I'm glad you're liking it, but I'm not sure why you're going into the Apogee Duet with it. You're losing any quality advantage because of the extra step of ad/da conversion.

Is there a reason you can't just use the 11R as your interface with Cubase via USB?
Good question - though I will say the Apogee ad/da converters are pretty dang stellar...
Old 02-10-2011, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
Hey,
Yep, I understand it doesn't make total sense on the face of things. One reason is convenience, in that I'm always flipping between recording electrics and acoustics, and it's a little quicker just to pull the XLRs out of the 11R and into a couple of mics, and leave everything else 'as-is'. Also, as noted above, I'm happy with the quality of the ADA in the Duet. I'll definitely try the 11R straight into Cubase as I've read a few reports of people doing that without issue, and I'll probably end up on ProTools at some point ;-)
Cheers
Jordan
Old 02-10-2011, 03:50 AM

I use one 11R for each scenario.
In my studio, I use the main outs to my interface (bigger setup) using it in Nuendo as a regular guitar-amp (DI).
I also tracks through the output to amp, sent through the powerstage of an 100 Watt tube amp (Carvin Legacy), 4 x 12 Cab w/Vintage 30 speakers, mic/pre-amp of choise.

I've tuned and made me two different "Preset-sets" (with lots of nice presets), one for DI and one for recording through my amp.

In my home setup, I use the 11R as my main audio interface. Tracking to Cubase/Nuendo without problems.
Set it up exactly as in PT, with one track for clean guitar signal (output to ReAmp). One track (mono or stereo) with input from Eleven Rig L/R.

Just turn off the "Direct Monitoring" in Cubase, hit monitor button, record and off you go
Check out the "Tapemachine Style" monitoring in Cubase. Just like the old days (Input signal in stop and record, track signal in playback mode). Nice
Old 02-15-2011, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhumber View Post
Hi,
First post here, from a long-time recording guitarist who got tired of having to mic up his live-rig at home. I recieved the 11R today, and after an hour of playing with it (assisted by the manual) I started recording a session track with really satisfying results.
I'm using the 11R's main-outs into the inputs of an Apogee Duet, and then into Cubase, and it seems to work great. No latency or monitoring problems, and really impressed with the recorded sounds (and I've barely got into tweeking the preset sounds).
Hopefully I can call on you guys for advice over the coming weeks/months, and in time be able to repay said advice to newcomers.
Cheers!
Jordan
------------------------------
www.jordanhumber.co.uk

+1000 on what you said, but I also wanna add that Benoni and vaisatchatrucci have some of the most mental pre-sets over at the ERPS site. That's the reason I love the 11R and this forum. People take time out of their day to help others to help themselves. Frickin brilliant I say!!!!!

Win 7, PT 9, 11 rack, superior drummer 2.2, Gibson guitars, yamaha bass, Dimebag washburn
Gibson Guitars
Washburn Guitars
Michael Kelly Guitars
Yamaha Bass
Roland TD30K
EZ Drummer 2
Superior Drummer 2.2