Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 05-14-2009, 10:29 AM

Default Pro Tools HD2 AND Apogee Symphony

Hey Guys,

I work in the music department of The City College of New York where we offer a degree in music + audio technology. We have a 7 production room suite and several tracking rooms and iso booths. We are upgrading several of our production rooms to PT HD2 systems (we'll have 5 HD2 rooms now!) Our main DAW's for the center are Logic Studio and PT 7.4.2 (soon to be 8) and we already have Apogee Symphony systems in place in these rooms.

I am wondering if anyone has any experience running both an Apogee Symphony system and a PT HD2 system off the same PCIe buss (Mac Pro)? I know Digidesign advises against using any other PCIe card in conjuction with the HD Accel cards but ideally we would like to do this if it works. Our other alternative would be to drop the Symphony cards and install Firewire cards in our Rosetta 800's and run them off the firewire bus (which means latency).

I realize this is probably uncommon but if anyone has any experience with this scenerio I would greatly appreciate any feedback you could give me.

Cheers,
Trent
Old 04-11-2013, 03:14 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools HD2 AND Apogee Symphony

I guess I'm finding this post kind of late ! I work at Cal State University Los Angeles. I am the Audio Systems Tech, for Music, Theater, Dance Department.

I have experience in this... We have an HD1, with UAD2, and Symphony 64 all on the PCIe card slots. We used to have Pro Tools 8 HD, so at least the Core card is required. since Pro Tools 8 required the the Digidesign interface it would always automatically select the the correct interface. And when they used Logic they set the iterface as the Symphony I/O. So no problem then. Having two different interfaces connected to the same PCIe bus will work.

Now we have updated to Pro Tools 10 and Now we are having a whole set of other issues.

Have you upgraded to 10 yet?
Old 04-22-2013, 06:49 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools HD2 AND Apogee Symphony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic Arts Center View Post
Hey Guys,

I work in the music department of The City College of New York where we offer a degree in music + audio technology. We have a 7 production room suite and several tracking rooms and iso booths. We are upgrading several of our production rooms to PT HD2 systems (we'll have 5 HD2 rooms now!) Our main DAW's for the center are Logic Studio and PT 7.4.2 (soon to be 8) and we already have Apogee Symphony systems in place in these rooms.

I am wondering if anyone has any experience running both an Apogee Symphony system and a PT HD2 system off the same PCIe buss (Mac Pro)? I know Digidesign advises against using any other PCIe card in conjuction with the HD Accel cards but ideally we would like to do this if it works. Our other alternative would be to drop the Symphony cards and install Firewire cards in our Rosetta 800's and run them off the firewire bus (which means latency).

I realize this is probably uncommon but if anyone has any experience with this scenerio I would greatly appreciate any feedback you could give me.

Cheers,
Trent
I have done it. I had no issues with it. I was on PTHD8 then!

That was what made me dump Logic/Symphony permanently for PTHD!

Do all you guys remember when everyone was screaming that Logic/Symphony was going to kill PTHD? I even went through this exercise two different times hoping that it was going to be true, so easy right? NOT!

I give Avid a lot of grief from time to time, but I do LOVE their products! LOVE!

MacPro 5.1 (12) Core (2009 MacPro 8 Core Upgraded to a 12 Core MacPro), 56 Gig Ram, SSD System & 3 - 2TB Drives, OSX 10.9.5, Windows 10 Via Bootcamp