Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2019

Old 05-11-2019, 10:54 PM

Default PT 2019 same video problems

PT 2019, video stops playing randomly, then comes back with message 'missing codec', needs a re-boot from cold every time. Shutting down Pro-Tools and re-starting Pro-Tools is not good enough still comes back with missing CODEC, the computer needs to be shut down and re-started. This happens very often when editing audio (in this case dialogue) in small sections. No improvement form PT 2018.

Mac 12 core, Sierra, 96 Gigs RAM
Blackmagic, latest driver.
Using Pro-Res Proxy 1920X1080

How do we upload the video errors report?
Old 05-11-2019, 11:03 PM

Default Re: PT 2019 same video problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnoil View Post
PT 2019, video stops playing randomly, then comes back with message 'missing codec', needs a re-boot from cold every time. Shutting down Pro-Tools and re-starting Pro-Tools is not good enough still comes back with missing CODEC, the computer needs to be shut down and re-started. This happens very often when editing audio (in this case dialogue) in small sections. No improvement form PT 2018.

Have you tried a fresh install of OSX and Pro Tools? I have never seen that error in 2018, and thus far 2019 has been smooth sailing though I have only spent about 8 hours working with it. The only video related issue that I have had is when I have a quite short clip playing back on loop - usually when dialing in a clip effect, I might end up with a 'video synchronisation error' message on about the 40th time it loops.
Pro Tools Ultimate 2024.3. OSX 13.6.5. Win 10. HD Native. Lynx AES16e. Lynx Aurora 16. i9-13900KF. ASRock Z690 Steel Legend. 64GB Ram. AMD Vega 64. BM Decklink. Dolby Atmos Renderer 5.2. Trinnov D-Mon. D-Command.
Old 05-11-2019, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDS View Post
Have you tried a fresh install of OSX and Pro Tools? I have never seen that error in 2018, and thus far 2019 has been smooth sailing though I have only spent about 8 hours working with it. The only video related issue that I have had is when I have a quite short clip playing back on loop - usually when dialing in a clip effect, I might end up with a 'video synchronisation error' message on about the 40th time it loops.
This is a fresh OSX Sierra and PT 2019 was installed this morning, also updated the balckmagic driver, and Eucon. I have been having this error since PT 2018. PT 11 worked great, zero video error issues. I also get the loop 'vide sync error' and 'video engine unable to stop'. There are video error reports that may be offer clues but who do I send that to? I have the support plan, so I would expect to be able to send these reports to that Avid can tell me what to do to fix it.
Old 05-11-2019, 11:13 PM

Have you installed the latest Codecs PE installer? ProRes might be the problem. I pretty well request everything in DNxHD.

If you have a support plan, you can access support from within your My Avid account.
Pro Tools Ultimate 2024.3. OSX 13.6.5. Win 10. HD Native. Lynx AES16e. Lynx Aurora 16. i9-13900KF. ASRock Z690 Steel Legend. 64GB Ram. AMD Vega 64. BM Decklink. Dolby Atmos Renderer 5.2. Trinnov D-Mon. D-Command.
Old 05-12-2019, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnoil View Post

Try to recode the video to DNxHR or DNxHD (DNxHR standard is my favourite for performance) , trash preferences, make a new session, and import the video. If the video works well with the empty session, import the contents of the previous session into the empty session. Should do. 2018.12 worked good also. And Sierra is great for PT.
Old 05-12-2019, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDS View Post
Have you installed the latest Codecs PE installer? ProRes might be the problem. I pretty well request everything in DNxHD.

If you have a support plan, you can access support from within your My Avid account.
Thank you for the reply. Yes, these issues are not codec related, that is a wrong message that PT shows. I open a session with ProRes works perfectly for as long as it wants to and all of the sudden the video will stop, or loose sync, or say video engine can not stop or whatever. At that point, if I close PT and re-open it will say 'missing codec' or sometimes 'waiting for video engine' (it can take 15 minutes) and then nothing, it still comes back as missing codec or video engine failed to load. Then I shut down the machine, unplug form the wall, wait 5 minutes, re-open and everything works again until it decides to do it al over. This can happen once a day, 5 times a day or once a week, there is no apparent pattern other than, if I do a lot of audio editing it will crash a lot. I am trying to find a solution so I bought a second SSD (internal) and put my video in the SSD to rule out anything else, but that still does not help. I have 96 gigs of RAM and I put the entire session into Disk Cash, so all the computer is doing as far as 'reading form drives' is just the video, and still does not work. For me this started in PT 12 (PT 11 was no problems). I use Pro-Res because it has always worked. I can easily convert to DNxH but the file sizes are huge and soon even that codec will n longer be supported by Apple, so...
Old 05-12-2019, 08:22 AM

I believe the problem is the prores codec. I had this message, but since using DNxHR, not anymore. I did a lot of hours with Avid codecs and they are a safe bet. Does not matter if Apple supports it, ffmpeg-x which is open source supports is, and you can use FF-works if you want a gui. Read this https://www.pro-tools-expert.com/hom...xpert-tutorial
Old 05-12-2019, 09:50 AM

Hi
Version 2019.5 uses absolutely the same engine. It hase tjhes same size and version number. Just have a look into the program package.

I see the same problems as ever. I will test furher on Monday.
But probably i will install an old video engine back into the 2019.5 Programm package.

Ale
Old 05-12-2019, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartosz idzi View Post
Try to recode the video to DNxHR or DNxHD (DNxHR standard is my favourite for performance) , trash preferences, make a new session, and import the video. If the video works well with the empty session, import the contents of the previous session into the empty session. Should do. 2018.12 worked good also. And Sierra is great for PT.
I just converted the film to DNxHD and will try this codec, may be it is time to do DNxHD from now on.
Old 05-12-2019, 01:32 PM

I was having similar problems and removing the Blackmagic Drivers solve my issue.