Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools | Intro Discussion

Old 10-09-2015, 10:39 AM

Default Pro Tools First error -6117

Hello

I'm losing my mind over this. I just installed a fresh copy of Pro Tools First so I can do my uni work from home, at least a little bit. Whenever I try to load up Pro Tools I get an AAE error -6117 message, followed by "The selected audio driver could not be initialized. Please choose another audio device." These two messages loop infinitely, and I cannot access the dropdown menus at the top of the application. My only option is to quit.

I don't have an audio interface. I have ASIO4ALL installed already, and I use it for Cubase 5. It works. Perfectly. Opening Pro Tools First does not even initialise ASIO4ALL. I never get the option to change my audio device, even if Cubase is open (so that ASIO4ALL is definitely at least running), and even if I hold down the N key while Pro Tools loads. It goes into a soft lock before any other dialogs appear and before I can get to any menus.

As far as I can tell I need a way to change the audio device WITHOUT opening the software - is there anything I can edit within Pro Tools' files to force it to open and use ASIO4ALL? Or is there some other trick that I'm not aware of that solves this problem? I'm at my wits end, Avid support has been less than useless so far, and I can't find anyone else who's had this exact problem.

Help me Avid Pro Audio Community, you're my only hope.
Old 10-10-2015, 06:45 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools First error -6117

You are not alone Olaf. I had PT|First working (on my home PC) earlier, I don't know what changed but I'm now stuck in the same loop...

- Win7 64bit fully patched
- Re-installed PT| First 12.2.1 (clean re-install)
- Re-installed ASIO4ALL
- Holding down 'N' during start-up does nothing at all.
- No response whatsoever @ avid.com/artistcommunity/

What gives AVID..?

At work; 2013 27" iMac/i5/2.9GHz/8GB, OSX 10.8.5, PT 10.3.6

At home; Custom Made Mac (Hackintosh) i7 (3770 "Ivy Bridge")/3.4GHz/32GB@2400MHz, Samsung SSD 840 EVO 250GB System Drive, Samsung SSD 750 EVO 250GB Audio Drive, OSX 10.10.5, PT 12.8.1
Old 10-14-2015, 03:59 PM

I am also having the same error loop. I just installed Pro Tools 12 for a class I am taking and there is no way out of the messages unless you quit PT.
Old 10-25-2015, 07:01 AM

Ran in to the same thing after updating to the latest patch of Pro Tools First. Unfortunately the program is not very user friendly at all and allow you to change your settings before Pro Tools loads even while holding down the N key. What fixed it for me was the following: 1) right-click on your speaker icon at the bottom right on your taskbar
2) choose "Playback Devices" 3) disable all the devices except for your Audio Interface you use for recording (ASIO4ALL in your case) 4) Start Pro Tools First and it works

Apparently Pro Tools First is trying to open another device on startup which causes the loop
Old 11-01-2015, 02:25 PM

Still no buenos ..... Any updates are n this ?
Old 12-20-2015, 11:50 AM

Also chiming in with same problem.
About to upgrade system after nightmare with 8LE and old mbox. Borrowed a pal's UA25EX to test. Works perfectly with reaper, cubase etc. PT first gives me this same error loop without even allowing me to select the UA25EX driver.
Planning on moving to pt12 imminently but wanted to use PT first for a bit of tracking in the interim.
Old 12-20-2015, 02:29 PM

I had some 6117 errors in PT 11 and also when upgrading to PT 12.3.1. I downloaded the Onyx. I cleaned the cache on my machine. Then i went through all the unnecesarry files on my machine and moved/ deleted them,( a lot!) The Imac speeded up.
I have also bought a new extarnal drive, (SSD), and run all the projects on that now.
The problems simply went away. I hope this can help others too.
Imac 21,5 late 2012, (upgraded 2018), i7 quad core 3,1 ghz 16 gb ram. Samsung Evo 850 SSD 1tb. Catalina 10.15.3, PT 2021.12, Waves Diamond ++. Native instruments komplete ultimate. Arturia Matrix 12v2. Mini V v3, Prophet v3, Air , Hammond B3x
etc...
Old 12-30-2015, 01:51 PM

I'm having the same problem and I just bought my computer. There is nothing on it.
Old 01-01-2016, 02:03 AM

I'm having the same issue on a brand new computer. When i hold the 'n' key, it does nothing different. So i cant tell protools to use it.
Also Asio4all is not an available option under playback devices does that mean it didnt install properly?
This would have to be the most frustrating thing ever!
Old 01-01-2016, 06:28 AM
Avid

Hello niggs26,

What operating systems do you have? Have you tried reinstalling ASIO4ALL in case it's a corrupt installation.

Good luck,
Ralph