Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-03-2017, 05:00 AM

Default Re: No Pro Tools 13 for me unfortunately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arche3 View Post
I have a confession. From my move from hd10 tdm to HDx 12.... I upgraded Mac osx and protools over existing installs. Not even a hint of clean install. But it all worked . No errors. Except when I try to record with tons of VI'S. But that I am used to.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Did you mean to say VI's and not Audio Tracks?

Heavy use of VI's is the most compelling feature to move away from PT10 due to RAM limitations. If you did mean to say VI's, Were you also using VEP Pro or whatever it's called?

MacPro 5.1 (12) Core (2009 MacPro 8 Core Upgraded to a 12 Core MacPro), 56 Gig Ram, SSD System & 3 - 2TB Drives, OSX 10.9.5, Windows 10 Via Bootcamp
Old 01-03-2017, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Johns View Post
Did you mean to say VI's and not Audio Tracks?

Heavy use of VI's is the most compelling feature to move away from PT10 due to RAM limitations. If you did mean to say VI's, Were you also using VEP Pro or whatever it's called?
I use veppro 5 in hd10 and now vepro 6 in protools 12.6hd. I meant if I have a bunch of vepro instances open and have tons of synths and stuff going I might get an error if I have to record an overdub into an audio track. Something is happening in protools that makes the cpu spike. But then again I have about 20 instances of the relab 480 reverb plug in in my template with tons of VI'S in vepro so I'm pretty much pushing the system. But even going full tilt I hardly ever have any errors now. But I know to freeze the vepro instances if i need to do vocal overdubs. Old habits.

I've actually been error free for awhile. 12.4 and 12.61 have been good. As solid as 10tdm. If you count the amount of VI'S I run it is pretty incredible

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Old 01-03-2017, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro perez View Post
Yeah! This is what I did instead of paying for another upgrade subscription plan and I have been very happy with this choice. I just get work done much faster and with much better results. Not to mention all the fantastic features you get and Studio One is constantly moving forward in development in a positive way. Lots and lots of features. It definitely makes making music a lot easier and the reward at the end of productions is great. They just keep getting better and better! ARA! Like many other's here I've also moved over to the Universal Audio hardware and I am very pleased with there products over Avids HDX and HD native. Avid has along way to go to catch up too these guys. Unlike HDX and Native I can have heavy track counts and still track VI's and Audio tracks at low latency with-out having to adjust any buffer setting. Its just set and forget. Its a little different work flow but it is well worth learning it. It is again very rewarding! For those who would ask why I keep coming here to the DUC? I still have a little glimmer of hope that one day they will get it together but like someone else said my optimism probably won't be rewarded but if not I'm really happy with my current system. I'm no longer waiting on Avid to do the right thing. It's not that you can't get it done with Pro Tools and HDX/HD Native but IMO it is with much unpleasantness and much frustration here and there along the way.

Last edited by zion; 01-03-2017 at 06:36 AM.
Old 01-03-2017, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonmusic View Post
There's a difference between complaining about a missing feature and your system coming to a screeching halt because of major stability problems....
Completely understandable. But I have said this several times in the past and will continue to say it, any showstopping stability problems with the software are most likely related to each individual user's particular hardware or software configuration and/or certain 3rd party plugin they are using. There are several users, myself included, who have yet to have any major showstopping stability issues with Pro Tools 12 to where we absolutely cannot work. Sure we had some minor issues, but some guys are saying they can't do ANYTHING and are switching to other DAW's because of it. Simple logic tells me that the fact that this is NOT the same experience for every single user, that the issue has to boil down to a persons computer. Sure everyone may use the software differently, but to completely not be able to work sounds a hardware incompatibility with the software. I worked in PT 12.7 for over 20 hours the last 3 days alone without a single crash or CPU error in a session with close to 70 tracks and plugins all over the place WITH an unsupported "003 Console as controller / Apollo as interface" combo. So if you're having major stability problems, I do not believe the software is the problem. That's all I'm saying!

UAD 2 Apollo Quad w/Thunderbolt 3, UAD 2 Satellite Octo TB3, UAD 2 Octo PCIe, Avid S1, Neve R6 500 Chasis, Neve Portico 511, Neve Portico 551, Dangerous DBox+, Focal Trio6 Be, Neumann TLM49, Akai MPC 2000XL, Akai MPC X, Mackie 1202VLZ Pro, Akai Advance 61

Pro Tools 2021.12

Mac Pro 7,1 2019, 8 Core, 48GB RAM - MacOS 11.6.2

16" MacBook Pro 2021, M1 Pro, 16GB RAM - MacOS 12.1

27" iMac, Late-2012, 3.4GHz i7, 24GB RAM - MacOS 10.15
Old 01-03-2017, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Low View Post
Fair enough
but 26 tracks in record with disk cache on SSD / 32 GB RAM
Clean PT session
without any Plug ins in the session and no 3rd party plugins installed
ADC off
should work without - 9173

P.S
tracking at 96k / 24bit , buffer set to 64
PT worked much better at higher buffer settings in playback

The problem was tracking ... HD card connected to an Omni + 3x96 I/O
Old 01-03-2017, 08:11 AM

You can say it if you like, but that doesn't make it true. When you have a solid, stable system that has been that way for years and change exactly one thing - upgrade to the latest version of Pro Tools, and that system breaks, it is the software.

The recent versions of PT have had major problems. Just because they haven't happened to you doesn't mean it isn't true. It's like saying there is no such thing as world hunger because you ate lunch today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Hellfire View Post
Completely understandable. But I have said this several times in the past and will continue to say it, any showstopping stability problems with the software are most likely related to each individual user's particular hardware or software configuration and/or certain 3rd party plugin they are using. There are several users, myself included, who have yet to have any major showstopping stability issues with Pro Tools 12 to where we absolutely cannot work.

Old 01-03-2017, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanrichard View Post
You can say it if you like, but that doesn't make it true. When you have a solid, stable system that has been that way for years and change exactly one thing - upgrade to the latest version of Pro Tools, and that system breaks, it is the software.

The recent versions of PT have had major problems. Just because they haven't happened to you doesn't mean it isn't true. It's like saying there is no such thing as world hunger because you ate lunch today.
Agreed. this is one of the many reasons why i switched to S1.
No more crossing fingers when i update for new featues. No stress,no drama.

NI timing problems are no more,etc.
Old 01-03-2017, 08:45 AM

Default No Pro Tools 13 for me unfortunately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Hellfire View Post
Completely understandable. But I have said this several times in the past and will continue to say it, any showstopping stability problems with the software are most likely related to each individual user's particular hardware or software configuration and/or certain 3rd party plugin they are using. There are several users, myself included, who have yet to have any major showstopping stability issues with Pro Tools 12 to where we absolutely cannot work. Sure we had some minor issues, but some guys are saying they can't do ANYTHING and are switching to other DAW's because of it. Simple logic tells me that the fact that this is NOT the same experience for every single user, that the issue has to boil down to a persons computer. Sure everyone may use the software differently, but to completely not be able to work sounds a hardware incompatibility with the software. I worked in PT 12.7 for over 20 hours the last 3 days alone without a single crash or CPU error in a session with close to 70 tracks and plugins all over the place WITH an unsupported "003 Console as controller / Apollo as interface" combo. So if you're having major stability problems, I do not believe the software is the problem. That's all I'm saying!

Hellfire...

Again, you are not using virtual instruments, most of the problems many people (me included) are experiencing is because Avid don't want (can't?) improve their midi and "delay comp" implementation and fix many old bugs. People like me complain because other companies hear their customers and develop great features on each update (not a 1gb loops library).

Really? The solution is jumping to another daw?
Well we don't want to! We DESERVE a working software.

We got it, it works for you, great! But please allow other people with OTHER needs express their inconformity.

Happy new year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-03-2017, 09:35 AM

It does seem that those working primarily in the audio side don't realize the frustrations of those trying to achieve the same level of performance in the MIDI/VI side.

The MIDI/VI users are also heavily invested in Pro Tools and really do deserve a voice here regarding issues not understood by the audio side.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 01-03-2017, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonmusic View Post
There's a difference between complaining about a missing feature and your system coming to a screeching halt because of major stability problems....

I'm sure some of the early adopters that spent close to $5000 for the HDX cards that most of the major 3rd party developers ended up not supporting would have something to say about that....moon
Quote:
Originally Posted by del cosmos View Post
Hellfire...

Again, you are not using virtual instruments, most of the problems many people (me included) are experiencing is because Avid don't want (can't?) improve their midi and "delay comp" implementation and fix many old bugs. People like me complain because other companies hear their customers and develop great features on each update (not a 1gb loops library).

Really? The solution is jumping to another daw?
Well we don't want to! We DESERVE a working software.

We got it, it works for you, great! But please allow other people with OTHER needs express their inconformity.

Happy new year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I fully encourage the exercising of your right to express your in-conformity. But the whole "I'm leaving to another DAW" thing on the forum is so corny already. Just leave. It's not like Avid is gonna read your post and fix your issues. What's gonna have to happen is they need to be hit in their pockets in order to make a change, and that is not happening because you guys with all these problems keep subscribing and making "I'm leaving" posts. And this is why I say you will be back, because the majority of those that do try other DAW's end up coming back.

Again, I'm not at all saying that the software does not have problems. But I do use VI's occasionally with MIDI and do not suffer stability issues and the only difference between my system and yours is the hardware configuration and the plugins we use.

The loops thing might seem like some BS, but this is one feature that one of my Studio One user friends swears by. Although it's a feature that mostly sample-based producers would enjoy more than composers, it is a really dope feature that exists in S1. Should have been a 12.6.2 though, instead of a 12.7. But...

UAD 2 Apollo Quad w/Thunderbolt 3, UAD 2 Satellite Octo TB3, UAD 2 Octo PCIe, Avid S1, Neve R6 500 Chasis, Neve Portico 511, Neve Portico 551, Dangerous DBox+, Focal Trio6 Be, Neumann TLM49, Akai MPC 2000XL, Akai MPC X, Mackie 1202VLZ Pro, Akai Advance 61

Pro Tools 2021.12

Mac Pro 7,1 2019, 8 Core, 48GB RAM - MacOS 11.6.2

16" MacBook Pro 2021, M1 Pro, 16GB RAM - MacOS 12.1

27" iMac, Late-2012, 3.4GHz i7, 24GB RAM - MacOS 10.15