Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-06-2017, 08:54 AM

Default Re: No Pro Tools 13 for me unfortunately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro perez View Post
Logic pro X =$200.00 USD. Just sayin'
Just about my hourly rate, what's your point? That is a good UV22HR plugin, but I wouldn't mix with it.
Old 02-06-2017, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Logic pro X =$200.00 USD. Just sayin'
Plus the fact that it requires an expensive Mac to run (not everyone buys used). Plus the fact they only have to develop for Mac (no development cost for Windows). Plus the fact they only sell directly to customers with no middle man. Plus the fact that Apple is worth over $700 Billion (according to Time) and doesn't need huge profits on software to survive.

UAD 2 Apollo Quad w/Thunderbolt 3, UAD 2 Satellite Octo TB3, UAD 2 Octo PCIe, Avid S1, Neve R6 500 Chasis, Neve Portico 511, Neve Portico 551, Dangerous DBox+, Focal Trio6 Be, Neumann TLM49, Akai MPC 2000XL, Akai MPC X, Mackie 1202VLZ Pro, Akai Advance 61

Pro Tools 2021.12

Mac Pro 7,1 2019, 8 Core, 48GB RAM - MacOS 11.6.2

16" MacBook Pro 2021, M1 Pro, 16GB RAM - MacOS 12.1

27" iMac, Late-2012, 3.4GHz i7, 24GB RAM - MacOS 10.15
Old 02-06-2017, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Hellfire View Post
Plus the fact that it requires an expensive Mac to run
Which Mac is expensive, compared to a PC with equal specs? Apple just doesn't cater to low-end.
Old 02-06-2017, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Just about my hourly rate, what's your point? That is a good UV22HR plugin, but I wouldn't mix with it.
Sounded just a bit biased here.
Old 02-06-2017, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Sounded just a bit biased here.
But of course, we are all biased :)
Old 02-06-2017, 09:39 AM

I think we are all lucky to have all the choices LPX,Studio One,Reaper,Nuendo Ableton etc. I'm not a rich and famos producer/mixer like some of you here.but I do apreciate not having to spend mega-bucks to be able to compete with the best.
Old 02-06-2017, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Hellfire View Post
When you look at the feature list of Logic 10.3, you see they are JUST NOW adding features that are very basic for Pro Tools users, and I'm sure Logic users see these as major features.
  • Track Alternatives = Playlists/Comping
  • Selection-based Processing = Audiosuite
  • True Stereo Panning = True Stereo Panning
  • Dual Mono inserts = Multi mono inserts
  • Horizontal auto zoom = Fit selection to window
  • Auto Processing Threads management = New Avid Audio Engine (both intelligently auto-manage usage of all CPU cores)
  • More busses = More busses
I hear and actually agree with your main point about every program having its strengths (why I am still a PT guy after all these years....

The list is poignant for this thread IMO. Above are just the highlights of the 10.3 feature adds. Apple releases at least 4 updates a year. Stability with Macs (since it only plays on Macs) is also excellent. Update cost - zero for something like 3 years now. Granted Apple vs Avid - totally unfair - Apple can happily loose money on Logic every year if it helps to sell Macs - sort of the old PTHD SW vs Hardware right? But in a thread about the ongoing cost and features/stability delivered with the PT plans - the list is more making the point for the competition than not to me...
Design Engineer: http://www.propowerinc.com/resume.html
Old 02-06-2017, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Which Mac is expensive, compared to a PC with equal specs? Apple just doesn't cater to low-end.
The trash can is very expensive for one. Not saying the prices aren't valid. Just that if you are a user of Ableton and want to try Pro Tools/Cubase/S3 and are a PC user, you don't have to buy a new Mac. If you want to try Logic, you have to actually buy a Mac since you can't build them (excluding hackintosh).

UAD 2 Apollo Quad w/Thunderbolt 3, UAD 2 Satellite Octo TB3, UAD 2 Octo PCIe, Avid S1, Neve R6 500 Chasis, Neve Portico 511, Neve Portico 551, Dangerous DBox+, Focal Trio6 Be, Neumann TLM49, Akai MPC 2000XL, Akai MPC X, Mackie 1202VLZ Pro, Akai Advance 61

Pro Tools 2021.12

Old 02-06-2017, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by propower View Post
I hear and actually agree with your main point about every program having its strengths (why I am still a PT guy after all these years....

The list is poignant for this thread IMO. Above are just the highlights of the 10.3 feature adds. Apple releases at least 4 updates a year. Stability with Macs (since it only plays on Macs) is also excellent. Update cost - zero for something like 3 years now. Granted Apple vs Avid - totally unfair - Apple can happily loose money on Logic every year if it helps to sell Macs - sort of the old PTHD SW vs Hardware right? But in a thread about the ongoing cost and features/stability delivered with the PT plans - the list is more making the point for the competition than not to me...
My point was mainly about those always complaining about the missing features that are featured in every other DAW. Like the comment quoted below as one example. I wasn't referring at all to stability issues. Just saying every DAW is gonna be missing some feature we want that is available in the competition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tattootroy View Post
Vast begging of myself and others asking for Simple features example a notepad for storing song lyrics.

There are a few other good DAWS out there that does the same as pro tools HD and much more plus cost less with better Costomer service and updates.

Pro Tools 2021.12

Old 02-06-2017, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Sorry, but this argument holds up even less now than it did before. You cant even buy the outdated components used in a MP to build a PC with except on the used market. MP's at this point are 4 years and 2 generations behind intel (and PC's), and soon to be 3 generations. Computing power has blown right past Apple and the MP's.

Add in all the cables and expansion chassis to house external drive systems and interfaces necessary to run a daw on a MP, and PC's can easily be many thousands of dollars cheaper and significantly faster.

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 4-11-2024)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10