Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-12-2014, 04:52 PM

Default Can we make some noise so Avid can release an HD Omni firm update...

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumster View Post
I agree that Avid should unlock the limitations of the Omni. I believe even the Apollo Twin will allow you to do more IO. That being said at a price point of $800 - $1000, it does serve as a pretty good monitor controller, and I like the ability of being able to access cue mix functions right from the front panel. My main issue with the Omni is it's sonic quality compared to the HD IO 16X16, which I also own. Although the Omni isn't a bad sounding box by any means, based on my listening tests, it is not in the same league as the HD IO, both in terms of it's AD and DA sections. If you can afford the extra investment, I would highly recommend the HD IO 8X8X8 with a separate monitor controller.

That's weird, the converters are the same.
Old 09-13-2014, 01:32 AM

Default Re: Can we make some noise so Avid can release an HD Omni firm update...

I have both an Omni and an HD I/O 16x16 and they sound pretty much the same to me.

drumster, you may have something going on with your Omni.

Greg
Intel i7 3930K, Gigabyte GA-X79-UP4 (rev 1.0), 32 GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 ram, EVGA Nvidea GT 720 TI video card, a Samsung 850 Pro (256 GB) OS drive, 2 Samsung 850 Pro's (512 GB) in externally mounted drive bays for session and sample storage, Win 10 Pro, PT Ultimate (Native)2019.10, HD Omni, HD I/O 16x16 .
Old 09-13-2014, 07:45 AM

Default Re: Can we make some noise so Avid can release an HD Omni firm update...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg M View Post
I have both an Omni and an HD I/O 16x16 and they sound pretty much the same to me.

drumster, you may have something going on with your Omni.

Greg
That's not an impossibility, but I'm not sure that's the case here. Admittedly, I didn't mind the sound of the Omni until I compared it to my HD IO. It's quite possible that the difference in power supply makes more of a difference than we may know. The same principle applies in the analog world with some 500 series units that do not sound as good as their rack unit counterparts, so it's not impossible for that to be the case here.

Have you tried directly comparing the sound of both the Omni and HD IO? I'd be curious to hear your findings if you ever get a chance to do it.
Old 09-15-2014, 05:20 PM

I plan to add an Omni in the next few weeks to my system. I rarely track the entire band for final takes anymore. Typically for me, it's drums I'm really capturing, the rest are scratch tracks. My Aurora 16 handles my drum tracks very well, I use the 192 for scratch (it's always scratch because most bands these days can't actually play their parts from beginning to end, whole other story). So for me the Omni will be great, great DA, and all overdubs can be done through it. Actually saves me money in the long run, considering I get some very clean pre's too!

In a couple of years I'll probably leave TDM and go HDX, who's used prices are also dropping!

MacPro 5.1 (12) Core (2009 MacPro 8 Core Upgraded to a 12 Core MacPro), 56 Gig Ram, SSD System & 3 - 2TB Drives, OSX 10.9.5, Windows 10 Via Bootcamp
Old 09-16-2014, 04:04 AM

+1 but won't hold my breath!