Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 08-13-2002, 09:45 PM

Default Basic synth module setup questions.

I have a couple questions about setting up for MIDI.
This is how I am set up:
DIGI001 (MIDI OUT) ---> (MIDI IN)Triton LE(MIDI OUT) ---> (MIDI IN)MS200R Anolog Synth Module (MIDI OUT) ---> (MIDI IN) DIGI001.

I hope that makes sense, if not, imagine a loop, with the outs going to the ins.

My Questions:
1: Is there anyway to save the synth settings that I make on my synth module without writing over the sounds that already programmed into it?

2: When I record a sound in Pro Tools with my Triton Le controlling my Module, and the sounds get recording into Protools, If I shut everything off, then turn it back on, My module doesnt turn to the sound that I originally recorded it in. Is there a way to program the program change information into Pro Tools? I am really new to MIDI and Pro Tools.
Thanks again.
Also, could some of you be so kind as to explain how your MIDI setups are set up, I am expecially interested in those using a master controller and slave modules.
Thanks.
Old 08-14-2002, 11:46 AM

Default Re: Basic synth module setup questions.

You might want to use the MIDI Thru rather than the Outs on the synths (or not, if you're not having any bother there). You might also want to have the loop starting with the Triton Out to 001 In, then the 001 out to the In of the MSR200R then the followed by the Out of that back to the LE.

You can use Program Changes within the edit window by right clicking on the MIDI track paramter which probably says notes or regions and has a drop down arrow. Then Ctrl-W to get to the MIDI Event List and Insert.

A better way of doing this is using SysEx dumps, though you need to use the MIDI Out for that and have it going to the 001. I'm not sure if, if left in the loop, the SysEx will make it through the other instruments in tact. You might want to get a midi switch (Philip Rees) for that to stop having to pull out all the cables.
Old 08-15-2002, 12:40 AM

Default Re: Basic synth module setup questions.

I believe it's always better to use midi thru when daisy chaining controllers, but that depends entirely on what you want your set up to do. I would take the midi out of the Triton to midi in of the 001 (so you could do sys ex dumps), and use the Triton midi thru to daisy chain to the MS200R. The midi out of the Triton will only pass the information that the Triton generates whereas midi thru will pass all the information that comes into the midi in (that's the big difference between midi out and midi thru). So if you have a midi channel that you only want the MS200R to respond to, you'll be able to send that information to the MS200R without having the Triton play (provided the Triton is set up for it too ie, in sequencer mode, the int/ext/both settings for the track). Once you've finished your song, do a sys ex dump of both controllers, so your sounds will be saved with the session. Of course, you'll have to load them back into the synths in order to hear your session again, but that won't be a problem until you actually over write a sound that's used in the session.

1.) The only way to save a new sound you've programmed IS by over writing an old sound. Some synths have an internal bank, but I don't think Korg makes their synths with an internal bank, and in either case, you'd still have to over write a previous program (sound) to save it (at least that's how it works on a Trinity).

2.) You're having a bank select problem. That's why you sounds are not remembered when you power down and up. BTW: It's never a good idea to power down and up when running a session - it's hard on your equipment and your computer. You need to get the bank select numbers usually found somewhere in the back of the manual. In the mix window press the "P", choose your sound, and in the remaining 2 boxes at the top, put in your bank select numbers and click ok. I know for the Trinity and I assume for the Triton, that bank A is "0" and "0" and bank B is "0" and "1".

Hope this helps. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]