Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > MIDI

Old 07-12-2005, 09:30 PM

Default Triton + Sound modules start late

I currently have a triton and 3 other sound modules sync'd up with pt and it seems that pt starts recording just a little bit before the modules start. By a little bit I mean less than a second but its long enough for the sounds not to loop right. I usually try to record about 8 measures worth. Is there a setting I can tweak to have em start at EXACTLY the same time?? Any help would be greatly apreciated. Thanks in advance guys.
Old 07-13-2005, 03:27 PM

Default Re: Triton + Sound modules start late

I'm not sure I full understand what you are asking. Are you sequencing in Pro Tools? Or are you sequnceing in the gear and syncing in with MTC? If you are syncing it there will always be a small delay to start the sync.
Old 07-13-2005, 05:06 PM

You're absolutely right. I've encountered this problem with Korg products specifically, on a variety of PT systems.

I regularly work on the following systems:
HD3 on a G4 os9
Mix3 on a G4 os9
LE(001) on Pentium 4 XP

All the systems exhibit this hiccup at 0|00|000 for Korg synths and modules. It consistently happens on the Trinity, Triton Rack, and Triton keyboard. If you start the song at bar 2, the problem will go away, as long as you start playback with some preroll. It's annoying to have to do this, though.

I can think of no explanation for this, as it seems to affect Korg products only. If anyone has a better workaround, I'm sure there are others who would appreciate your advice.

Ben B
Old 07-14-2005, 09:37 AM

Quote:
I'm not sure I full understand what you are asking. Are you sequencing in Pro Tools? Or are you sequnceing in the gear and syncing in with MTC? If you are syncing it there will always be a small delay to start the sync.
Yeah, I sequence everything in the triton and then put the triton on the digi clock so that I can dump my tracks into pro tools.
Old 07-14-2005, 09:41 AM

Quote:
You're absolutely right. I've encountered this problem with Korg products specifically, on a variety of PT systems.

I regularly work on the following systems:
HD3 on a G4 os9
Mix3 on a G4 os9
LE(001) on Pentium 4 XP

All the systems exhibit this hiccup at 0|00|000 for Korg synths and modules. It consistently happens on the Trinity, Triton Rack, and Triton keyboard. If you start the song at bar 2, the problem will go away, as long as you start playback with some preroll. It's annoying to have to do this, though.

I can think of no explanation for this, as it seems to affect Korg products only. If anyone has a better workaround, I'm sure there are others who would appreciate your advice.

Ben B
I'll try starting at bar two and see what happens. Thanks. I wish there was some setting to tweak to compensate for the delay. I mean I thought I was using pro equipment. I shouldn't have this problem.
Old 07-15-2005, 04:46 PM

Try sequencing in Pro Tools
Old 07-15-2005, 08:51 PM

Actually, I misunderstood the original post. What's been happening to me is that PT exhibits a "glitch," or hesitation in MIDI playback at 0|00|000 when addressing Korg synths (specifically, the Trinity, Triton, and Triton Rack). This happens only with my Korg synths for some reason. If I cut the material and paste it so that it begins at bar 2, the problem goes away. This occurs on Mac os9 as well as WinXP, using LE, Mix 3, or HD3. It's definitely not being caused by the common error of beginning to record a part before the countoff has expired.

I would love to know why this is happening. I'm sick of having to move all of my sequences to start at bar 2 all the time, which appears to be the only workaround.

Any theories? Digi?

Ben B
Old 07-18-2005, 09:55 PM

Always, always start your sequence leaving a bar or two at the beginning. It will happen whether you sequence in PT or use the Korg. This is a problem that's not unique to Korg and has been around since the 80's. Midi is old. It takes a bar or two to get steady.

It really is best to sequence in PT. The timing of a hardware synth, while good, won't be as tight as PT, and there are more editing options of midi in PT.
Old 07-20-2005, 04:11 PM

I realize that. It's just interesting to me that it only appears to affect my Korg modules, and only in PT. Furthermore, this problem does not manifest in the other software-based sequencers I use. I remember in the 80's always leaving an empty measure at the head of every sequence, but haven't needed to do so in any case recently, with the exception of when using Korg synths with Pro Tools.

I have several other sequencers on the same system (same computer, same MIDI interface, same modules, same everything), and the problem doesn't occur. Haven't had the problem in StudioVision (which is much older than the version of PT I'm running), Logic, Digital Performer, or Sonar (which is on my Windows machine).

Has anyone noticed this with non-Korg devices in PT?
Old 07-21-2005, 06:00 AM

Quote:
It really is best to sequence in PT. The timing of a hardware synth, while good, won't be as tight as PT, and there are more editing options of midi in PT.
Fact or Fiction?

Granted 'there are more editing options of MIDI in PT', however, unless you're running Digidesign's own MIDI IO, my experience (PT5 / OS9 / Emagic AMT8 w/Mac G4 450MHz) has shown Pro Tools MIDI becomes exceedingly sloppy as one loads the CPU with plug-ins.

In fact, Pro Tools has proved, by far, to be much worse than the timing I've experienced with a hardware Roland MC-505.

From what Digidesign have told me, this is only truly overcome when Pro Tools is used in conjunction with their MIDI IO interface.

Phil