Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2002, 07:34 PM

Default Active monitors - your opinion...

Im looking for a pair of bi-amped self powered, shielded monitors for around $500 for my mBox mini studio. I'd like to hear any opinions or suggestions. Please be as specific as you like!
Pro Tools: LE 6.2.2
Interface: MBox
Monitors: Event PS 6
Oxygen 8
Event PS 6 Monitors
Old 11-15-2002, 07:58 PM

Default Re: Active monitors - your opinion...

There are many options to choose from out there these days in that price point. What kind of music are you doing? What kind of space are you in, I mean... is this a bedroom or a basement or ? I hate to say it but I think probably the best bang for the buck right now on the affordable side of things are the Alesis M1 Actives. These are about $399 on the street and are fairly decent that also sound good. Other options include Event PS5's and even PS6. They have a new line of monitors called the TR series which we just got in but I haven't had a chance to try them out. Honestly, I know very little about them. There are many other options in this price point but I'm going to bed......
Old 11-16-2002, 09:19 AM

you might want to check out the nht pro a-10s, currently being blown out for about $400 at various places around the web. these started out costing $1200 and they sound like it to my ears. very solid, substantial & sweet. worth checking out, anyway.
Old 11-16-2002, 03:29 PM

try and demo a pair of tannoy reveal actives. i got a pair for $650 (if you do a search on the internet, you'll find the place. i got a shop here in the city to match it on one of the "tax free" days they occasionally do here to help out business' below canal st.). i've found them to be the only decent actives for under the price of a pair of quested f11a's (around $1900), which are killin'!

ml
Old 11-16-2002, 05:51 PM

Wow - those tannoy reveal actives look pretty nice! I can't seem to find them anywhere for less than $799 though. Does anyone have an opinion on the Event or M-audio monitors? Or, are they in the "get what you paid for" category?! Am I better off searching for a killer deal on a pair of more expensive monitors. I love my friends Mackie HR 824's but I could only afford one! Does anyone know of something comparable to this sound for less money?
Oxygen 8
Event PS 6 Monitors
Old 11-16-2002, 06:07 PM

Yes, the Mackie HR624's. They are less expensive and if your studio is small, these might be good for you. I got mine at G.C for $900 for both. It included two beautiful cherry wood stands. But to do it right, you would also want to eventually add a sub woofer.
Old 11-16-2002, 06:55 PM

I appreciate the advice but my budget is $500 - $600 max. I have small bedroom studio with an MBox and some other toys. I mainly need something to get a decent reference for recording that I won't be embarrassed to bring to my friends "real" studios for tweaking.
Oxygen 8
Event PS 6 Monitors
Old 11-16-2002, 07:58 PM

Go to MacMidiMusic or better yet call them (the number's on the website) and talk to Barry Sanders- the salesman, not the enigmatic Detroit Lions running back.

They have the Reveal Actives for $679. They also sell M-Audio, Event, and just about every other monitor you should know- from budget to luxury. I have the Reveal Passives and love them- many friends have the actives and love them too.

MacMidiMusic is a great dealer (they're located on Music Row here in Nashville, but they do most of their sales over the Net)- they know their stuff and are happy to help you out and keep you within budget.

Tell Barry I told you to call!
Old 11-17-2002, 02:18 PM

Wow - keep the ideas coming, I plan on getting this narrowed down to a few different brands before I go out to comparison test. Thanks!
Oxygen 8
Event PS 6 Monitors
Old 11-18-2002, 12:03 AM

I use a pair of Yamaha MSP5s. My space is quite limited and at the low levels I monitor (and the other priorities in my budget which turned me away from Genelecs), I am satisfied with them.

I guess it goes without saying that it's best to check out how a speaker sounds (with material known to yourself) before buying...

- Sean