Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11

Old 06-23-2014, 11:13 AM

Default New Dual Xeon Win 7: PT 11HD Won't Load/Start

Hello.

I've got a mystifying issue that I've been hammering on for a few days. First technical problem I've ever been unable to solve.

I have a new machine that I have been unable to get Pro Tools 11 HD to load/ start up on. PT 10 HD works fine.

Setup:

Hardware
CPUs: Dual Xeon e5-2680
MB: Asus Z9-PE-D8-WS
RAM: 32 GB Crucial Ballistix Elite CL8 1.5V
HD: Samsung 840 250GB (Boot)
Samsung 840 128GB (Audio)
WD Black 1TB (Audio)
Video: NVidia GT610 (current driver) w/ Dual 32" Monitors
PCIe Cards: 1 SIIG Firewire 400
USB Plugs: iLok, Mouse, Keyboard
Interface: Lynx Hilo (USB in , most recent firmware)
Note: No internet connection

Software
Windows 7 Ultimate 64
Current NVidia video driver Win 64
Current Lynx Hilo driver
Current iLok driver
Pro Tools 10 HD 10.3.9 , 11 HD 11.1.3
Note: No other software of any type have been installed at this time

Steps taken thus far
The machine is fresh/ new(i.e. boot drive initially contained nothing.) so the steps have involved primarily re-installations.

Installation steps:

Build 1
Formatting of the boot drive (other drives not physically installed initially). Installation of Windows from USB drive.
Installation of video driver
Installation of ilok driver
Installation of Hilo/Audio driver
Copying of downloaded Pro Tools 10.3.9 HD and 11.1.3 HD as well as 10.3.7 and 11.02 to the desktop from usb drive. (I downloaded 3 separate copies of each piece of software to ensure that 2 backups were available to install in case of problems)
Installation of PT 10.3.9
Testing of PT 10 install (successfully created and opened and utilized projects)
Installation of PT 11.1.3
Test of PT 11 install (fail)
PT preferences etc Trashing process
Test of 11 (fail)
Uninstall, Reinstall of 11.1.3 (fail)
Note: On first build/ install I subsequently installed and tested EuCon/ Artist controllers with PT 10 successfully. I did not install EuCon on subsequent builds.

Build 2
Formatting of the boot drive.
Installation of Windows from USB drive.
Install and test of PT 10.3.9 HD (successful)
Install and test of PT 11.02 HD (fail - note: installed previous version on the new format and install and it still would not load/ start up)
Uninstall , reinstall, and test of PT 11.02 (fail)
Uninstall, install and test of 11.1.3 (fail)

Build 3 (current)
Formatting of the boot drive
Installation of Windows from USB drive.
Install and test of PT 10.3.9 HD (successful)
Install and test of PT 11.1.3 HD (fail)

Description of observed problem with PT 11 HD:
The software when run from the executable (whether as Administrator or not) hangs/freezes on either Initializing Databases or Installing Core Plugins (the selection appears to be random for any given execution of the program). Subsequently there will either be an automatic display of the Not Responding dialog or the dialog will be displayed when any mouse click is performed. (Again, the choice appears to be random for any given attempt to run the software)

This is the current state. This is a major head scratcher. Any insights anyone has would be very much appreciated. If any additional data is required let me know. I think I covered everything but if i neglected something I can update.

Wow. This is the first time I've had a serious "time is money" problem. Crossing my fingers that the collective genius of this very helpful community can get it resolved.

Thanks much for the consideration in advance.

Cheers
Ian
Old 06-23-2014, 01:03 PM

Default Re: New Dual Xeon Win 7: PT 11HD Won't Load/Start

After a fresh install (or if you have moved or deleted the contents of C:\Users\YOURUSERNAME\Documents\Pro Tools) Pro Tools will display "Initializing Library Content" during the first launch while it deposits documentation, grooves, and other files.

If this is what you're seeing, let it finish. Sometimes it takes several minutes. After it has been done once, Pro Tools will launch normally and without delay.
Old 06-23-2014, 03:22 PM

Default Re: New Dual Xeon Win 7: PT 11HD Won't Load/Start

Just in case it was unclear in my post i want to emphasize that PT 11 is indeed crashing. Of course, Windows provides us with an annoyingly clear delineation by issuing the message in the title bar "Not Responding" followed by a dialog that asks us if we want to Wait for the Program to Respond (yeah good luck on that one) or Close the Program (if it hasn't already closed automatically). This 'program not responding' dialog is not related to the Pro Tools execution logo splash which gives us a status on the load of the program.

Regarding the execution logo splash that appears at startup, I wouldn't expect to see Initializing Library Content because there is no content to initialize. If I do a reinstall or Trashout, I expect to see the Initializing Databases message in the logo splash status first and then subsequently Loading Core Plugins. Because the application crashes on initiation, humorously, I only get the message in the splash but not the action it is referring to because the software has failed.

Considering that this is a completely new machine with nothing on the drive but a couple of drivers and Pro Tools I'm hoping that someone has seen this or something very related before

Cheers