Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-11-2003, 10:15 AM

Default OT: streaming music online with a Mac

ok,

so Im browisng through a sample site called Primesounds, where you can preview samples before downlaoding them. However, when I click 'preview', the download manager shows up and puts that file on my desktop. Is there no way to just stream the file from the site without having to locate it first and then listen to it?

Furthermore, when I click on the file's icon to hear it, it says 'this version of iTunes requires OSX", wtf? I just installed Toast w/ Jam and imagine something got screwed up in the extensions, how can I simplify this mess?

I'm also new to Macs so I'd like to know if (like on Windows) you can just click on a file online
and hear it in realtime without actuallu downloading it? I checked the iTunes preferences and it's set to be the streaming default program, but as I mentioned, it's not working...

thanks for any advice
Old 01-11-2003, 10:26 AM

Default Re: OT: streaming music online with a Mac

I think I may have figured it out. I went to my QuickTime prefs and selected it to stream mp3 files. It seems to work fine, as I can hear the clip as soon as it's done buffering, however, it still dowloads a file to my desktop, that's the part I'd like to understand more, does it have to do that? I don't want to end up with a dozen mp3 icons on my desktop when all I wanted to do was preview them!
Old 01-11-2003, 03:08 PM

Default Re: OT: streaming music online with a Mac

weird....

through Propellerheads software (makers of Reason), I'm entitled to 100MB of free downloads from Primesounds.com, cool.
So I go to their site, set up an account, read the FAQ and so on. There's a button to preview and another to actually download. My download basket is still at 0mb, in other words empty, I have the full 100mb to go, however, my desktop is filled with samples that I thought I was only previewing, it turns out I actually downloaded them -for free! - so to speak!! So I could just keep previewing all the damn samples on the site and then just keep em on my drive, without it showing up on my accounts page?!

By all means I'm not complaining, I just want to understand the relationship between Apple's download manager and streaming with Quicktime, why are both things happening, previewing and downloading at the same time?

I promise I won't post again on my own thread before someone else steps in! [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]