Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-22-2009, 08:37 PM

Default Re: "hanging" applications when mbox 2 plugged in

Dear Long-suffering tech support,

Thank you for your reply. I have read the entire thread. And I did read the posting guidelines. That's why I said:
I'm not listing versions of software, etc., because this problem manifested itself over different versions of ProTools, over different operating system upgrades (from Tiger to Leopard), and with my different Mac Intel towers
But, the last crash on the new machine was with this:
Mac2x2.66 Ghz Quad core Intel Xeon, 16 GB RAM
Mac system 10.5.7
Mbox 2 with Protools 7.4.2, plugged directly into rear USB port of computer

So, to get my computer to stop crashing with my current set-up, I have to buy the upgrade? I did the deletions you mentioned after the last crash, but I haven't really wanted to plug the Mbox back in and risk more crashes. I don't have any audio projects to do for the present, so I'll wait, and maybe by then you will have fixed 7.4.2.

I had two separate computers, with various systems, with various versions of Protools, and always had the same symptoms---force quits will not quit. The exact same symptoms described on page 1 of this thread. Here's a crash log I saved, from January of this year:
"Backtrace continues...
Kernel loadable modules in backtrace (with dependencies):
com.digidesign.mbox2.driver(7.4.2f1)@0xdd1000->0xdf2fff
dependency: com.apple.driver.AppleUSBMergeNub(3.0.7)@0x631000
dependency: com.apple.iokit.IOAudioFamily(1.6.4b7)@0xcf0000
dependency: com.apple.iokit.IOUSBFamily(3.1.5)@0x602000

BSD process name corresponding to current thread: coreaudiod"
I found that this matched an early post of a crash log in this thread almost exactly. My assumption is that this implicates the Mbox. Is that what this really says?? (I can send you separately the whole crash report, if you want).

Thanks,
Charlie
Old 06-22-2009, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesCramer View Post
Mbox 2 with Protools 7.4.2
digitechsupt said they fixed it in 8 and are working on a 742 fix so that's probably why you're still seeing it.
Old 06-23-2009, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReB87 View Post
I've deleted the following:

1. Mac HD > Users > (Your User Name) > Library > Preferences > com.apple.systempreferences.plist (delete this file)
2. Mac HD > Users > (Your User Name) > Library > Preferences > com.apple.audio.AudioMIDISetup.plist (delete this file)
3. Mac HD > Users > (Your User Name) > Library > Preferences > com.digidesign.CoreAudioManager.plist (delete this file)
4. Mac HD > Users > (Your User Name) > Library > Preferences > ByHost > com.apple.systempreferences.xxxxxxxxxxxx.plist (delete this file)

And I deleted the file in the HAL folder. I also installed the CS3 update, and still applications hang..
Did you install the CS3 update after you deleted the files?

Maybe when you installed the CS3 update, it restored the files that should remain deleted. Try looking for them and deleting again, specially the one in the HAL folder (my crashes stopped after deleting it). I don't know if it is the case, it's just a guess.

Good luck.

Regards
Old 06-23-2009, 09:54 AM
Avid

As Stonehenge indicates, the cs versions with this fix for 7.4 and 7.4.2 are in the works. You hadn't posted info about which version you were using in your original post, so I assumed you were on PT8 and just hadn't updated to cs3 yet.
Old 06-25-2009, 07:52 AM

Just wanted to extend my thanks to all of the users that have posted regarding this topic.

After switching from Windows based PT7.4 / 8.0 to a Mac based system I was plagued by the "hanging applications" problem.

I recently installed the Leopard 10.5.7 combo update, installed the PT8 CS3 update. I am pleased to report that I can now use my Mbox for all applications.

I also want to thank to DigiTechSupport for FINALLY devoting the resources to provide relief from this very annoying bug.

- John
Old 06-26-2009, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt View Post
Can you provide more info on your system and the process/symptoms you're seeing? Please see the Help Us Help You thread for details...
Ok, my System:

Imac Core 2 Duo Penryn 2.4GHz
4GB Kingston KTA memory
500GB harddisk
Mbox 2 mini
Latest OSX Leopard 10.5.7 with all updates
Protools 8 + CS3 update

Basicly what happends is that most of the times when I watch Youtube videos, it suddenly hangs. I then force quit Opera. Opera quits, but it stays active in the dock. All other applications I try to close after that also hang. Then, when I try to turn off the whole Mac, it hangs in the shutting down process leaving the progress turning icon remaining.
Old 06-29-2009, 02:20 AM

Hi. Glad to hear about the cs3 update. However, my setup is, that I have Pro Tools installed on a secondary system partition on my computer, and NOT installed on my primary system partition. That way I can install Apple updates onto my main partition without worrying about if the current Pro Tools is compatible. But at the same time, i would like to be able to use my mbox mini together with other software on my main partition without crashes.
So, what I am looking for is a solution of the crashing problem WITHOUT having to install Pro Tools, i.e. an update of the standalone Core Audio driver. Are you at Digidesign working on this too?

Best regards
Jonte
Old 06-29-2009, 06:02 PM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReB87 View Post
Ok, my System:

Imac Core 2 Duo Penryn 2.4GHz
4GB Kingston KTA memory
500GB harddisk
Mbox 2 mini
Latest OSX Leopard 10.5.7 with all updates
Protools 8 + CS3 update

Basicly what happends is that most of the times when I watch Youtube videos, it suddenly hangs. I then force quit Opera. Opera quits, but it stays active in the dock. All other applications I try to close after that also hang. Then, when I try to turn off the whole Mac, it hangs in the shutting down process leaving the progress turning icon remaining.
Did you do the other troubleshooting I've outlined in the last few pages, namely removing the Digidesign Core Audio.plugin from the HAL folder and trashing the appropriate Core Audio preference files?
Old 06-29-2009, 06:03 PM
Avid

Quote:
So, what I am looking for is a solution of the crashing problem WITHOUT having to install Pro Tools, i.e. an update of the standalone Core Audio driver. Are you at Digidesign working on this too?
Yes, we will eventually have a standalone driver available. When, exactly, I'm not sure as there are several other projects that will take precedence.
Old 07-04-2009, 12:15 AM

Thanks for addressing this Digi, cs3 has cured the issues described in this thread for me.

Just wanted to say thanks!

PT8cs3
MacBookPro 2.5ghz core2duo;4gbRam
Mbox2
OSX10.5.5