Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 12-27-2010, 05:36 AM

Default MBox 3 or a Focusrite ISA One

I have some Christmas money to spend and I'm looking for opinions on what would give me the biggest improvement.

I'm using an Eleven Rack as my interface now. I'm happy with it, but I keep hearing that the A/D conversion and preamps are SO much better in the new MBox 3.

I was considering a Focusrite ISA One preamp.

I'm mostly looking for improved clarity in acoustic guitar and vocal recording. We use a Rode NT1A microphone.

My guess is that the MBox3 would be a better choice because then I would be getting better A/D conversion as well as preamps. If I get the ISA One then I just get a better preamp.

But in the end, I'm wondering if either of these would give me a noticeable improvement over the Eleven Rack I'm using now?

Any thoughts? Thanks.
Old 12-27-2010, 06:31 AM

Default Re: MBox 3 or a Focusrite ISA One

I believe either purchase would be a big improvement. I have no doubt that the Mbox conversion would be a big jump. I had the Eleven Rack briefly and the conversion was noticeably not even as good as the 003. The new Mbox seems to be be a big step up from the 003, which means it would be an even bigger step up from the 11R. The preamps would probably be as well.

The focusrite preamp would be a huge step up from either one. You can also get the ISA One digital, which has the digital a/d converter card installed (this can also be bought separately if you just get the normal one). The conversion on this would be at least as good as the new Mboxes. Note that you would need to purchase a separate breakout cable (made by Focusrite) to use this with your Eleven Rack, which has Spidf or AES, but not Adat.

However, with that solution, you'd only have good a/d conversion, but no better d/a conversion.
Old 12-27-2010, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
I believe either purchase would be a big improvement. I have no doubt that the Mbox conversion would be a big jump. I had the Eleven Rack briefly and the conversion was noticeably not even as good as the 003. The new Mbox seems to be be a big step up from the 003, which means it would be an even bigger step up from the 11R. The preamps would probably be as well..
Thanks.

I think I'm going to go with the MBox 3. I'm just thinking that all around this would be the better choice.
Old 01-25-2011, 04:33 PM

I was debating between a Gap Pre 73 and a Focusrite ISA One Digital. I was just wondering is the ISA converters a worthy upgrade from my Mbox 3 Pro's or should I just get the Gap and buy an outboard A/D?