Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 09-06-2006, 10:47 AM

Default Could Someone Advise?

I'm a long time PT user who went native for awhile with Logic, then Nuendo. I want to come back to Pro Tools (it's scary out there!) but as a composer I use a lot of virtual instruments like Ivory, the Spectrasonics stuff, etc. I am wondering how stable they have become now in PT7 with instrument tracks (I never got to PT7). When I left PT it was 6.x something, and I was having some weirdness with them.

Thanks for any updates. I'd be going into an HD1 system...

Tom H
Old 09-06-2006, 09:53 PM

Default Re: Could Someone Advise?

Hi,
I work entirely on ProTools since 2000. Before I was using Logic from day one...
I have to say, I really love the Midi stuff in PT (namely 7.2). PT is much more stable than any other host!!!!
Generally I would say that with Virtual instruments less is more. I have all this Native Instrument stuff, and yes it works.
But still I like to print the midi stuff to audio as early as possible. For instruments like piano I think we should not really
stress the computer to produce a nice sound. I got myself a yamaha P-120 which just plays so nice. No loading time at all,
always there when you need it. You can always use a more sophisticated sound it for printing it to a track .
And than there is Xpand - lots of instruments, not much system load, quite reasonable sound, no costs...
and TDM stuff like Indigo Virus is no problem at all...
If you like to use extensive Orchestral libs you should think about working with a second computer.
My point of view....

best from germany

Hanz Marathon