Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 05-20-2013, 11:19 PM

Default Re: "CPU overload"?

I've found the way out: uncheck "ignore errors during playback/record" in Playback Engine dialog! As simple as it is! It helped me!
Old 01-06-2016, 03:33 PM

This error is a terrible pain.
It affects all Pro tools devices as well as other applications. It has been increasing in the last few years on all machines.
I am seriously looking for a pro tools alternative.
My DIGI003 cannot be used anymore even if is is nearly new.
Normaly it should never happen, because it did not happen on old machines with much slower processors, connections and audio cards.
Pro Tools 12 pretended to solve the problem but it is worth at every update or upgrade. The problem is that all my Digidesign/Avid systems are affected.
RC

Unfortunately no, uncheck "ignore errors during playback/record" in Playback Engine dialog does not solve the issue.
Old 01-06-2016, 05:34 PM

PTHD12.4 CPU Overload is Hell.

PTHD12.3.1 much better,

PTHD11.3 CPU Overload never happened, while testing the 30-day trial.

some people recommend to install the latest plugins, "plugins are the fault"
but i have the latest versions installed.

when i had:
PTHD9.0.6, CPU Overload never happened, i just leave 1-thread/core alone for the system, and all other cores/threads for Audio, worked Flawless up to 100% CPU load.
The new Avid Audio Engine can load a lot more plugins, but does not allow to reserve 1-thread/core for the system.
for example:
Wavearts TubeSaturator v1.33 for RTAS i could load 44x stereo channels at 44.1khz 1024buffer.
same # with VST and FXPansion VST to RTAS adapter.

Since PT11.3 i can load 128x stereo AAX TubeSaturator2 channels, and still have 25% CPU Left.

Similar happens with Focusrite D2/D3 RTAS vs. AAX 64-bit Native.
CPU Overload seems related to HDD/SDD speed.

i have a 32-core Dual AMD Opteron 6276 with a 5200rpm HDD for system drive, 24GB of Ram.

With PTHD12.4 i get CPU Overload at 20% CPU = useless.
that´s why i want to buy/test a RAID pcie x8 card.
PT feels very slow responsive, when inserting bypassing, or loading any plugin. i guess takes to much time to check/security of the licenses.

has a lag, like when PTHD9.0.6 had no core/thread reserved for the system, and was reaching 100% CPU load.

maybe that could be solved by forcing Afinity in the Task Manager... or if PT had a command line to limit the # of cores to be used by PT.
like VSTHost.exe software, that has a /corelimit=20 for example.

Last edited by JuanPC; 01-06-2016 at 05:47 PM.