Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-26-2009, 10:52 PM

Default Is this Mac Pro good for top quality PT productions?

Hi!

I have option to buy following mac pro and I would like to ask from you your opinion of it:

Mac Pro, 2xQuad-Core Intel Xeon 2,8Ghz, 8Gt RAM, 300Gt + 460Gt HD DVD RW drive, Ati Radeon HD 2600 256Mb

This model is released 2008 and is not therefore the newest model. Currently I have MacBook Pro 2.16GhZ core 2 duo, 3 MB RAM and I would like to get grasp of how much more power is on that mac pro than my current lap top?? Currently I can use maximum of 15 soft synths + approx 10 effects. Should I buy instead the latest model of mac pro with Nehalem processor 2x2.26 Ghz (does it have 16 core in it?) It will cost like 1000 euros more or so but would it be worth it, its hard to tell!

So what do you think? Does that Mac Pro I was offered have enough power for creating top quality pop song productions with all tracks and effects etc that it will take? Any experiences?

Thanks a lot for answers! It's hard to get decent opinions unless using forums like this where mac musicians gather up...
Old 08-27-2009, 12:48 AM

Default Re: Is this Mac Pro good for top quality PT productions?

Quote:
Currently I can use maximum of 15 soft synths + approx 10 effects
That is not enough info to make a comparison that will mean anything..

What synths? What effects? How many tracks total?

Mac Pros are beasts, newest ones especially, and you are likely to triple your current limits at least..
Old 08-27-2009, 04:00 AM

(sorry to barge in) ...

Flomm, you've lobbed 6GB of RAM in yours ... I'm guessing that's '2GB for the system' / '4GB for PT'?
Old 08-27-2009, 04:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHH View Post
(sorry to barge in) ...

Flomm, you've lobbed 6GB of RAM in yours ... I'm guessing that's '2GB for the system' / '4GB for PT'?
It's there for however the OS wants to use it..

I have never seen my memory usage maxxed out (or even close, really) even with busy sessions..

Some day it will be 10GB and then I'll be done..
Old 08-27-2009, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjohe View Post
So what do you think? Does that Mac Pro I was offered have enough power for creating top quality pop song productions with all tracks and effects etc that it will take? Any experiences?
YES.
No doubt at all !

G
Old 08-27-2009, 06:55 AM

Thumbs up Re: Is this Mac Pro good for top quality PT productions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemylon View Post
YES.
No doubt at all !

G
+1

You should get great performance from that Mac Pro!
Old 08-27-2009, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjohe View Post
Hi!

I have option to buy following mac pro and I would like to ask from you your opinion of it:

Mac Pro, 2xQuad-Core Intel Xeon 2,8Ghz, 8Gt RAM, 300Gt + 460Gt HD DVD RW drive, Ati Radeon HD 2600 256Mb

This model is released 2008 and is not therefore the newest model. Currently I have MacBook Pro 2.16GhZ core 2 duo, 3 MB RAM and I would like to get grasp of how much more power is on that mac pro than my current lap top?? Currently I can use maximum of 15 soft synths + approx 10 effects. Should I buy instead the latest model of mac pro with Nehalem processor 2x2.26 Ghz (does it have 16 core in it?) It will cost like 1000 euros more or so but would it be worth it, its hard to tell!

Thanks a lot for answers! It's hard to get decent opinions unless using forums like this where mac musicians gather up...
Hey, I was in the same position about a month ago, using a macbookpro 2.4Ghz with 4GB of RAM. Recently bought a Mac Pro 8-core (2.8Ghz, the 2008 version) with 4GB of RAM in it, here's the results:

The sessions which would max out my laptop with VIs and tracks (reading between 80 and 90% in the system usage window) now only read 20% on the system window. I can ad tracks and instruments and still the session reads less than 30% usage. So the answer is: YES, IT WILL MAKE A MASSIVE DIFFERENCE. I'd advise on getting a little more RAM and definitely an extra hard drive (there are 4 bays on the mac pro). As to whether or not you should add 1000 euro to get the same one, ut the new version....hmmm, I guess it's up to you. The new one will run a little faster. 1000 euro faster though? I don't know.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

www.myspace.com/ninospace
Old 08-28-2009, 02:01 AM

That model can be upgraded to the full 32Gb or RAM with a little searching on eBay for about £600.

The newer models of Mac Pro have 3 channel RAM, use VERY expensive RAM to start with and you have to use a multiple of 3 slots or it reduces back to dual channel RAM.

The single CPU model of the 2008 Mac Pro was the last affordable, worthwhile system apple produced and for the retail cost of the model you're looking at, Apple now offer a system with a single quad core 2.66Ghz CPU and 4 RAM slots (effectively 3) that has a geekbench score of 5286, the 2 x Quad 2.8Ghz system from 2008 has a geekbench score of 9010!

Buy that system!

If you're getting it any cheaper than the retail cost of a brand new "entry level" 2.66Ghz system then that's just a bonus.

I wish I had the cash for a system like that myself, I'm looking at a Mac Mini with today's prices because I can get one with a 2.26Ghz CPU, Intel X-25M SSD and 4Gb RAM for about £800 if I buy a refurb and fit the SSD and RAM myself. Even that system benchmarks at 3100.