Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-10-2006, 01:37 AM

Default Re: New L.A. Post movement??

1. If this fellow worked on "The New World" — one of the most evocative and creatively executed sound editing jobs I've seen/heard in recent years — he has my respect.
2. I've never used Nuendo, but I've seen in-depth demonstrations and it does indeed seem to cut some of the PT chores down to more simple editing operations.
3. I have no interest in shifting to Nuendo or anything else, because as long as PT is stable, lets me work as quickly as I'm able to, and keeps ahead of the curve in terms of improvements I have no reason to change.
4. Good luck to him... as has been said, competition is good.
Old 05-10-2006, 02:41 AM

More info on John Ross.
http://www.euphonix.com/video/system...hn_ross_20.htm
Old 05-10-2006, 06:41 AM

Quote:
I, myself, welcome new technology and hope that it forces Digi to get it's act together. Because I love Pro Tools. I'm good at it and fast with it. But it could be so much better, which would make me much more efficient and valuable to my clients.
AMEN!

Howard Sonnenburg
Atomic Audio
Ottawa, ON
Canada
Old 05-10-2006, 06:52 AM

Thanks for posting the link to John Ross and his new studio. I whole heartedly agree 100% with John's reasons for going the route that he did technicalogically. The System5MC is an awesome controller. I used to work on a Euphonics CS2000 and have pushed to get them installed around town. I think Euphonics is an incredible company.

A few years back I recall a rumor that Digidesign was considering purchasing Euphonics and at the time I thought that would have been a wonderful marriage. Today I think differently. I believe had Digidesign purchased Euphonics, it would have been game over as far as innovation. The two companies creating mixing/editing systems under one banner would have made it impossible for anyone to compete in this arena.

Am I going to switch to Nuendo? I don't think so. I would like to pick up a copy and learn it just for sport. My biggest gripe about Nuendo is after dealing with Digidesign's tech support, its really hard to jump into a product that has so little technical support. With Pro Tools for example, I can call on Jon, Tom, Rich, Brian for expertise when I am stumped. I've tried many times with Nuendo to find a "factory" technical support guru (for post) for the product with no luck. Perhaps if you are John Ross you get answers from Steinberg.

I do think that Henchman and Derek can post their gripes about Pro Tools in this forum in a constructive manner and benefit all.
Old 05-10-2006, 08:30 AM

Quote:
God I hate it when web pages are white print on black back-ground. Completely does my eyes in...
In OS X try cntrl-opt-cmd-8 to flip the colors
Old 05-10-2006, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Thanks for posting the link to John Ross and his new studio. I whole heartedly agree 100% with John's reasons for going the route that he did technicalogically. The System5MC is an awesome controller. I used to work on a Euphonics CS2000 and have pushed to get them installed around town. I think Euphonics is an incredible company.

A few years back I recall a rumor that Digidesign was considering purchasing Euphonics and at the time I thought that would have been a wonderful marriage. Today I think differently. I believe had Digidesign purchased Euphonics, it would have been game over as far as innovation. The two companies creating mixing/editing systems under one banner would have made it impossible for anyone to compete in this arena.

Am I going to switch to Nuendo? I don't think so. I would like to pick up a copy and learn it just for sport. My biggest gripe about Nuendo is after dealing with Digidesign's tech support, its really hard to jump into a product that has so little technical support. With Pro Tools for example, I can call on Jon, Tom, Rich, Brian for expertise when I am stumped. I've tried many times with Nuendo to find a "factory" technical support guru (for post) for the product with no luck. Perhaps if you are John Ross you get answers from Steinberg.

I do think that Henchman and Derek can post their gripes about Pro Tools in this forum in a constructive manner and benefit all.
As a user of a Euphonix System 5 everyday I have to say that I enjoy working on it. They are trying to get us to upgrade to the combo system. Having a control layer and a system 5 mixer. The amount of money it would cost to upgrade does not make it benneficial for a Pro Tools user. If I was using Nuendo and the extra control of that system it might make it a little more appealing. We do have Nuendo loaded on the machine and use it on a rare occasion. The big problem I have with moving over is that we are on an Avid Unity system and using the V10 video hardware. Nuendo does not have an integrated video option like this.

Nuendo is great when converting multiple file to mp3 and doing batch conversions. You can set up a bunch of processes and hit go. this is mainly what we use it for. I am glad that there is competition it only makes the software better. I can't wait for version 7.2 after getting a demo at NAB. Some definite post improvements.

Mike
Old 05-10-2006, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Poster: christerM
Subject: Re: New L.A. Post movement??

More info on John Ross.
http://www.euphonix.com/video/system...hn_ross_20.htm

John was pushing the envelope in the early 90's with various platforms. He had a company called "Digital Sound and Picture" that was based around Digidesign Pro Tools. He sold his company to 4mc which turned into Liberty Livewire which turned into Accent Media. They bought his company for $7.5 million and he worked for them for a few years. He was the guy who put in 3 Pro Tools Rooms at their Burbank Facility. There are reasons why John went the direction he did, but please notice he still has Digidesign Pro Tools systems hooked up to his Euphonix 5MC.
IMDB http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0401937/
Like everything in life, there are no guarantees just opportunities.
Old 05-10-2006, 10:42 AM

Interesting thread. Nuendo is a very good program and for editing sound it has some very nice features that make manipulating clips very fast. As a mixing platform though, it has some critical shortcomings, like not being able to assign a channel to more than one mix path, and it's automation system is where Flying Faders was about fifteen years ago and will fall even further behind with the release of Pro Tools 7.2. Every system has it's strong points and I won't bore everyone here with the details about all Nuendo's shortcomings in a modern film mixing environment. I think the problem Derek is going to have in his crusade is that all the major studio facilities (like Warner Bros.), if they haven't already, are moving to Pro Tools HD, and most top level independent facilities, like The Dub Stage and the facility I'm at, Mercury Sound, have been working in a Pro Tools workflow for years. What has to be delivered to these facilities from sound editorial are Pro Tools sessions for use on the workstations or digital dubbers. I think what platform an editor uses is up to him or her, but it had better work seamlessly with the mix stage. I've never had a director ask me, "hey, so what version of Pro Tools are you using?". They don't really care. What they care about is that their dub sounds great and goes smoothly with no delays. The danger for Derek is that if he works on a different system than everyone else and it causes problems for a facility or impedes the workflow in any way, that will be very bad for him. He mentioned in his Blog that he'll be learning Nuendo. Well here's one of the many things he'll find out. Nuendo's stereo tracks can't work with dual mono files (.L/.R). The files have to be interleaved. The problem will be is that everyone's sound libraries are in the dual mono format, so when you're cutting stereo backgrounds for instance, to place them on a stereo track, the file has to be re-interleaved. Total PITA. Good luck.
Old 05-10-2006, 11:49 AM

hello i notice you guys are from burbank?

i am currently living in burbank and attending video symphony, dont know if you guys have heard of it, i just finished my 210p class third edition, i think were actually the first class or one of the first to be taught third edition 210p, some great cool new stuff!!

cant wait for 7.2 thats like post heaven!!
Old 05-10-2006, 11:50 AM

hello i notice you guys are from burbank?

i am currently living in burbank and attending video symphony, dont know if you guys have heard of it, i just finished my 210p class third edition, i think were actually the first class or one of the first to be taught third edition 210p, some great cool new stuff!!

cant wait for 7.2 thats like post heaven!!