Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-15-2012, 02:11 AM

Default Re: AVID Selling M-Audio and Pinnacle Lines!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Didn't know Sibelius was on the chopping block. Web page still looks okay and is still available for purchase. Would suck if it went away - I've been recommending it to people over on the drum forum I inhabit.
I don't think they will can it reading everything now, but They closed their UK market which is suppose to be big.

Pro Tools 12, Sibelius First 7/Presonus Studio 192/Windows 10 Pro
Old 07-15-2012, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-ManLA View Post
I don't think they will can it reading everything now, but They closed their UK market which is suppose to be big.
They closed their UK office...companies close branch offices all the time...
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh
Old 07-15-2012, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Denton View Post
They closed their UK office...companies close branch offices all the time...
Avid got caught quietly trying to close the R&D office in the UK that develops Sibelius. That is no "branch office" as far as this product is concerned, it was the world headquarters of Sibelius development. Wether the R&D office really fully closes, what happens to all the developers and what that exactly means to the product seems to be fully up in the air.

Pro Tools Expert broke this story and seem to have the best facts: http://www.pro-tools-expert.com/home...n-the-ass.html

Darryl
Old 07-15-2012, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Avid got caught quietly trying to close the R&D office in the UK that develops Sibelius. That is no "branch office" as far as this product is concerned, it was the world headquarters of Sibelius development. Wether the R&D office really fully closes, what happens to all the developers and what that exactly means to the product seems to be fully up in the air.

Pro Tools Expert broke this story and seem to have the best facts: http://www.pro-tools-expert.com/home...n-the-ass.html

Darryl
That's sad. That reminds me of when Gibson killed Opcode, something I never forgave them for. Studio Vision was a wonderful creative tool for a lot of people. For Gibson it was just a line item.
Old 07-15-2012, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philthy View Post
That's sad. That reminds me of when Gibson killed Opcode, something I never forgave them for. Studio Vision was a wonderful creative tool for a lot of people. For Gibson it was just a line item.
What, Gibson bought a company and it died? Shocking.

Look what they did to Tobias basses, Trace Elliott amps, etc.

Getting acquired by Gibson is the kiss of death. How long does KRK have left? And is Onkyo going to go in the crapper?
Old 07-15-2012, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by getz76 View Post
What, Gibson bought a company and it died? Shocking.

Look what they did to Tobias basses, Trace Elliott amps, etc.

Getting acquired by Gibson is the kiss of death. How long does KRK have left? And is Onkyo going to go in the crapper?
Get worried when you Gibson acquires Avid (Anybody want a vintage reissue Icon console with aged/distressed finish? Or a Firebird guitar with USB audio interface and 8 slider EUCON console built right into the pickguard. Actually maybe the current Firebird already has that, I'm too scared to look).

Darryl
Old 07-15-2012, 12:39 PM

Quote:

Darryl
Not saying that this is the case this time, but it's not rare to see a company close up an office and layoff some of the employees and relocates the willing in an already existing company office somewhere else.

Wave-T.com
Old 07-15-2012, 12:57 PM

Quote:

Darryl
Indeed --- the UK office team, lead by Daniel Spreadbury, IS Sibelius for all intents and purposes. Identifying and designing the features of a software program isn't just a programming job; it requires indepth knowledge of music, music notation and conventions, what is easiest for users and players, how is music best engraved, and so on and so forth. There are a million different rules and guidelines, many of them conflicting; trying to make sense of all that in one user friendly program is a massive task. Think of features like magnetic layout; it is simple to use but brilliant, and it saves a huge amount of time.

Getting rid of the UK team is akin to throwing away over a decade of know how, and it puts the entire future of Sibelius in serious doubt.

This isn't over yet, btw; Sibelius users are massively revolting against this decision.

Stay tuned.
Old 07-15-2012, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emcha_audio View Post
Not saying that this is the case this time, but it's not rare to see a company close up an office and layoff some of the employees and relocates the willing in an already existing company office somewhere else.
Well given immigration and relo cost issues they probably won't be relocating many UK developers to Daly City. And some developers have been laid off already. This is a very specialized space, not something I would imagine would be easy to find top talent for. It may make sense to locate developers next to core Pro Tools folks but I am suspicious, and either way this announcement oversight blew up in Avid's face. Avid really needs to improve its communications.

Darryl
Old 07-15-2012, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Well given immigration and relo cost issues they probably won't be relocating many UK developers to Daly City. And some developers been laid off already. This is a very specialized space, not something I would imagine would be easy to find top talent for. It may make sense to locate developers next to core Pro Tools folks but I am suspicious, and either way this announcement oversight blew up in Avid's face. Avid really needs improve its communications.

Darryl
Yeah for the most part. But as the program is already well established, and I truly can't think at the moment of anything that it could be needing, it might not be too bad in the long run. Sucks that they did close it, no question about it, but I wonder how much of a doctorate in music you need to actually code what a music sheet is supposed to look like. I know it's more than that, but hope you get my point.

Wave-T.com