Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S1, S3, Dock and Control App
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-27-2017, 10:55 AM

Default 6 Month Dock Review: Video link

So, after some careful consideration I felt compelled to put this together. Please, I understand it doesn't touch on ALL of the things that still need to be addressed but it does cover some basics for the people out there looking into buying this thing. Again, these issues have gone on unaddressed for some time now and AVID's waning response is troublesome. I'd LOVE to make a follow up to this saying most of these things have been fixed and the product functions as hoped for.. AVID the ball is in your court.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgpagO5GXi8
Old 02-27-2017, 12:34 PM

Default Re: 6 Month Dock Review: Video link

Well done and said, succinctly expressed ideas and criticism
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 02-27-2017, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony_Anz View Post
So, after some careful consideration I felt compelled to put this together. Please, I understand it doesn't touch on ALL of the things that still need to be addressed but it does cover some basics for the people out there looking into buying this thing. Again, these issues have gone on unaddressed for some time now and AVID's waning response is troublesome. I'd LOVE to make a follow up to this saying most of these things have been fixed and the product functions as hoped for.. AVID the ball is in your court.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgpagO5GXi8

Great video.

You could have also mentioned that the ALT automation buttons on the left stop working during editing and you have hit the Alt button a few times to get them to work. This is SO annoying if you use the advanced automation features. And that the buttons just under the iPad also de-focus themselves during editing and stop working.

As you mentioned at the end, Avid used to reply to problems and suggestions here in the forum but have now completely stopped which leads me to believe that that's it for the Dock, they have no interest in making it work properly and have moved on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

www.spoonsound.com
Old 02-27-2017, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoons View Post
.....which leads me to believe that that's it for the Dock, they have no interest in making it work properly and have moved on.

That reminds me of Structure....

Samsieses

Best you could hope for is continued maintenance updates.

Old 02-27-2017, 06:57 PM

All so true... you were actually too kind on the device.

EVERYTHING Avid seemingly does is throw something out with broken functionality and then go silent.... never addressing SEVERE issues. They release products with potential but they never actually see it through to fruition.

I start to wonder if anyone at AVID actually does legitimate work using their own tools... AVID is so far behind the game and it's just a horrid user experience with their control surfaces and software.
Old 02-27-2017, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyguelz View Post

....and it's just a horrid user experience with their control surfaces and software.

I feel what your saying bobby but let's not throw the baby out with the bath water

Icons rock hard.....a beautiful device with wonderful integration.

I don't how I lived so long without it....true story - I learn more functions as I go but it all very understandable

Old 02-28-2017, 03:58 AM

FWIW I love the Dock. Fast, deeply programmable and portable. Sure, the knob kinetics aren't perfect, but that's a small thing compared to the huge leap forward the Dock made from other surfaces in this size category.
Old 02-28-2017, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoons View Post
Great video.

You could have also mentioned that the ALT automation buttons on the left stop working during editing and you have hit the Alt button a few times to get them to work.
Thanks for the feedback guys.

Spoons, yea. I should have mentioned that as well. Even the buttons on the right hand side need to be pressed a few times for them to kick in...

All in all I want to love this thing.. if only they would squash the issues....
Old 02-28-2017, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYR123 View Post
I feel what your saying bobby but let's not throw the baby out with the bath water

Icons rock hard.....a beautiful device with wonderful integration.

I don't how I lived so long without it....true story - I learn more functions as I go but it all very understandable
I hear what you're saying... I feel more jaded in this matter because I've been on support with them so many times and they never actually can fix anything with my system because they realize they are bugs yet nothing is addressed. They're clueless that their hardware... I.E. S3/Dock have so many issues and just say to voice the suggestions on Ideascale of which they obviously never pay a lick of attention to.

My issue is that they clearly don't listen to their pro user base... They're clueless about our real needs otherwise they might have tried to iron out the Video Engine over the last couple years they've had now. I just don't have faith in Avid to do even the littlest of things... I so wish I was proven wrong.

And in terms of the Icon... again the issue I've addressed is their new controllers lack some of the awesome features their old hardware had.... like PLUGIN FOCUS to name just one. Everything that comes out of AVID truly is botchy and unreliable. When's the last time we've gotten any direct response from AVID in this forum? I can't even remember.
Old 02-28-2017, 09:35 AM

very true Bobby.

I'm considering to switch over our systems to Nuendo, of there is no change in the next half of the year.

Cheers
Maik