Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 08-15-2002, 09:44 AM

Default A little disappointed

wow I started to get really excited when I saw this product for sale but I am a little disappointed when I came to this site. After reading 20+ pages in different "topics" I wondered why digidesign doesnt get more involved with their userbase. I cant see spending $1100 + dollars on this product that has such a strange and confusing "compatability" chart. Customers want to know a few key things before they spend a grand + on a piece of gear.

#1 NAMES! give me motherboard brand name that you support in a easy to read list. dont give me "some users have experienced good results with bla bla bla..what did YOU use to get best results and why.

#2 Why dont you support windows xp pro and if you plan on it then when, give me details on why or why not.

#3 Design the "updates" section per model that is clearly laid out and easy to read. Dont go off subject and fill the page with confusing links to updates that dont pertain to the model I clicked on. Is 5.3.1 the upgrade to 5.11? You should have tables and rows with model number and operating system versions.

#4 All the retailers are selling 5.11 with a link pointing to this site to check compatability
is it easy to upgrade to 5.31 if your using xp? who knows...

This is why i'm leaning more and more with just simple hardware based adats and REAL mixers/Effects. I would rather spend my money on something that works instead of relying on a messageboard and the latest firmware or updates to actually use the product.

Respectfully
Old 08-15-2002, 10:15 AM

Default Re: A little disappointed

Common now, half the fun is just trying to make it work. Besides, the user base is a great place to get information on the latest and greatest but if you do chose to you can go with what digi recomends and it will work just fine. This is a very powerfull program that you have here and if you arn't willing to do a little easy research to find out what works best with this program you will never reap the benefits of digital recording. Oh well boo hoo for you
Old 08-15-2002, 10:25 AM

Sounds like you already made up your mind to not go with a DAW. PT (or any other Win based PC DAW) will never support specific like actual p/n, brand name motherboards. Too resource intensive and the price would much higher than $1100 then. They DO tell which chip sets are qualified though. The beauty of Digig's support is the fact that they DO offer the DUC. This takes the hassle out of gueesing at solutions yourself. If you not a 'computer guy', you could always buy a Mac if your worried about such issues. But the bottom line is that PC computers are very powerful, expandible, but hardly perfect. Harware solutions are great (I own 2 Yamaha AW4416's and enjoy them fully) but editing capabilties don't approach a PC DAW. $1100, in the grand scheme of 32 track/24 bit/48KHz/+F/X et. al. audio is not a lot of money, it's a bargain. Not to say ADAT's and a Mackie are dead but they will cost you more than $1100 and editing will not be nearly as powerful. Good luck with what ever system you choose.
Old 08-15-2002, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by siris777:

This is why i'm leaning more and more with just simple hardware based adats and REAL mixers/Effects. I would rather spend my money on something that works instead of relying on a messageboard and the latest firmware or updates to actually use the product.

Respectfully
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">have fun with those, sorry you couldn't get around
all the confusion about Digi products. If you ever change your mind though, please come back, there's a cool bunch o' chaps here and you'll learn more than you could imagine.
Old 08-15-2002, 03:38 PM

Hi Siris

Your points are well seen.Dont let the luddites get to you too much.In the end you have to get what you are comfortable with.The 001 is a great product and Digi is a...er...large company.
I am sure the more openminded people will see that some of your points are valid and will use them,along with many other constructive critisisms to make life easier for people who are new to the site and the product.

It is often hard for DUC veterans to understand how confusing and unfriendly this site and forum might seem to the un-initiated.All we can ask you is to give it a try.If you have any specific questions regarding the makeup of the PC best suited to your needs just post your quiestions here and they will get answered.There are also much already written here that you can search for by model names and such.Combine that with the( aw gawd dont let them sue us ! ) official compatability documents and you will be allright on the night.

Many people have in the past suggested a site or page that sums up all the relevant information for newcomers the Digi-PC in one place and in a logical accesable manner,but despite the good intentions,this has not happened yet. One can also not expect Digi to take on such a monumental task in this everchanging game, as they are too busy anyway building something to make HD obsolete by 2005 [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

So please stick around and try the water.You probably wont be sorry [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 08-15-2002, 04:27 PM

I completely agree with SIRIS777.the digi site is realy poor and confusing.oh btw i have the digi 001 and i am in the procees of keeping it or taking it back.

with my latest 2.53ghz and raid mobo dvd-rw etc etc is not stable.and yesterday i read in this forum by a digi tech person who replied that digi 001 does not support raid at all.

that should be mentioned on the digi site because everyone is using raid these days or updating or buying new daws with raid etc.

i tried to install the wave driver from the digi site and did exactly like they said and its not working.
the bottom line i believe digi wants thinks to be their way or no other way,among other problems.
i like the interface idea if it only worked and didnt restrict you for proprietory reasons etc.
Old 08-15-2002, 04:45 PM

Quote:
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">First off, in most cases Digi's products will work right out of the box. I personally would rather have to download the updates than not have them available at all. For example, if you have a 001 you can download an upgrade that will increase your track count from 24 to 32. You can do that with an ADAT/mixer system as well, but it'll cost you close to a thousand dollars for the ADAT, and even more if you need to get a new mixer to support the extra tracks as well. Me, I'll take the software upgrade.

Quote:
with my latest 2.53ghz and raid mobo dvd-rw etc etc is not stable.and yesterday i read in this forum by a digi tech person who replied that digi 001 does not support raid at all. that should be mentioned on the digi site because everyone is using raid these days or updating or buying new daws with raid etc.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">If it's not listed as being supported on the Digi site, it's not supported...why would they go through the trouble of listing everything that's not supported?

-Duardo
Old 08-15-2002, 04:53 PM

Wait a minute DUARDO,do you know what raid is?and not to support raid is like not supporting the industry standard what is now days.your assumtion is a little bit like who cares.well,we do if we are gone make serious music instead of messing around others incompetence engineering.its not only raid that is the problem
there are tons of problems with protools using pc formats.it just happens that i mention one of them .
Old 08-15-2002, 05:06 PM

Ciris, if you are still there, alot of times in life it's a bunch of little irritating things that get us really mad and not just one big thing. I know how you feel about using dedicated hardware and forgetting about computer based editing. I felt the same way so I bought a VS -1680. If I had come to this place sooner I would not have boughten (is that an actual word?) the 1680 but gotten(how about that one?)Pro Tools instead. Now I have to sell my VS 1680 that just sits there and collects dust. To start you off, try looking for this thread "Best System for Digi001 for under $700.00" Be patient. Read all the pages. You'll be glad you did. Then look for one called "PT Performance". I know there's alot of pages but it is beyond worth it. Look for a guy by the name of Allen Hallada. He knows about all that you are asking. Stay here at the DUC. Forget what you have read only to be confused. The most important thing is to be patient and do alot of research. These threads should start to eliminate some of the chicken pox one by one till they are all gone. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 08-15-2002, 06:30 PM

I'm using a KG7 Raid and it rocks! Raid is OFF. I couldn't agree more with most of the issues mentioned by Levon, & Siris777, but hang in there guys. The Digi001 is a killer set-up / way better than a Roland VS system, and I'm speaking from experience on that one.

If you want to run with a Digi001 you'll be wise to do a lot of homework. The DUC here is a killer place to gather info. In many ways it is superior to Digis own support. When I'm trouble shooting the DUC is the first place I go, and most always I have a solution that same day.

I do agree with Siris777 when it comes to the lack of info that one can get from Digi support. The five points that he made are pretty big. It seems like Digi is reluctant to give many guarantees, but I can understand why they wouldn’t. Some of could use more specific info, rather than “ Users have had good results with… “ I know what I think good results are, but to some one else, good results could mean something very different…