Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-30-2008, 10:44 AM

Default Pitch changes MIDI to Audio

When I record using Pro Tools 7LE from MIDI or Instrument tracks to Audio tracks there are Pitch changes anywhere from +4 cents to +40 cents on each note. I use melodyne to check the pitch of each note recorded on the audio tracks. The internal Protools clock is set at 44.1, sound sources are mainly pulg-ins such as Xpand. The pitchs on the Xpand sounds are all set to 0 cents prior to recording to Audio tracks

I have recorded to the audio track by busing from the out of the MIDI tracks to the in of the Audio tracks, also tried bouncing each midi then importing the wav files to audio tracks. The pitch change is still the same.
Please help!!!
Old 11-30-2008, 03:57 PM

Default Re: Pitch changes MIDI to Audio

just goes to sjow there is no such thing as pitch perfect.., even in the digital world. a guitar for example, as you know, is an even temperament instrument.., meaning there are discrepancies in pitch due to the fact the frets are straight.., for a perfect pitch they would have to be slightly this way or that on each different string.., of course not practical.., the piano IS a pitch perfect instrument because you can tune each note individually.

at a guess i would think your problem might be inherent short cummings in the technology of signal generators.., not protools or any VI.

i could be very wrong but asking for perfaction..?? i dont think it exisits.

I Mac 24 inch screen, tiger 10.4.11, CPU dual core 2.16ghz, 2 gig ram, UB.
PT 7.3.6. M Box2
Old 11-30-2008, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manis View Post
a guitar for example, as you know, is an even temperament instrument.., meaning there are discrepancies in pitch due to the fact the frets are straight.., for a perfect pitch they would have to be slightly this way or that on each different string.., of course not practical.., the piano IS a pitch perfect instrument because you can tune each note individually.
I'm sure every musician will jump on this one, but both guitar AND piano are equal temperament. Otherwise, you would have to re-tune the piano every time you modulate to a different key.

Sorry to the OP. Can't answer your question.
Old 12-01-2008, 09:33 AM
Avid

This is definitely out of the ordinary.

Can you give us more info on your system? Have you tried trashing preferences yet?

See the Help Us Help You and General Troubleshooting threads for more on what we need to know as well as suggestions that may help you.
Old 12-06-2008, 01:40 PM

I am having this EXACT same problem on my 002 7.4 system at home. This only recently started happening during playback. I have rewire looped into the session and MIDI for a Strike! track and several other MIDI tracks and all of these are unaffected. This is only occurring with my Xpand! track. I also have tried to bus out of Xpand! to print to audio and tried bouncing as well. I get an arbitrary pitch shift from my whole track of piano from this VI. I even tried creating a new session, importing the channels from the original session and seeing if that did the trick. Negative. Did not help the problem.

Anyone out there ever heard of this? OP any luck?

Thanks team.