Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-12-2005, 04:18 AM

Default NI softsynths (again) and PT6.7 Problems

Hi,

OK so I just got Battery 2.1 and the Komplete Care package. I've got latest versions of FM7 and Pro53. Here are my NI problems:

1) FM7 - was working OK until I got Battery 2.1 loaded in a session yesterday. Today in the same session when I open FM7, I cannot control any parameters - the mouse does not make any part of the FM7 GUI do anything. I removed Battery 2.1 btw but still have this issue.

2) Pro53. About a week ago someone posted about GUI problems with the Pro53. Vaphoron kindly pointed out there was a new version which fixed the GUI problems. Great, so I downloaded that and it does solve the GUI EXCEPT that now I have new problems. For example, changing ADSR settings then saving the preset DOES NOT save the ADSR setting!

3) Battery 2.1. This has distorted output. It sounds like it is running at 44.1 when my session rate is 48K. Glitches and has a warbly sound on e.g. ride cymbals.

Now, before I start on yet another round of soft-synth troubleshooting, I woud be grateful to know if it's just me having any of the above problems, or if there are still some big RTAS bugs NI need to squash.

In the session which has exhibited these problems I am running two instances of Kontakt, one of CS80v and have Reason playing a sample too via rewire. I run RTAS, none of the synths running HTDM. Honestly I am about to give up using soft-synths at all on the PT rig, I spend more time trying to fix everything than work at the moment... Maybe others have NO problems now and it's just me????

Thanks!
Old 02-12-2005, 09:19 AM

Default Re: NI softsynths (again) and PT6.7 Problems

whenever i install one of these cs upgrades i am asked to insert my fm7 disc. (a hassle but manageable. now i just keep the disc out all the time)

also if i run an au app like garage band the fm7 disc is also requested.

once the disc has been put it, i'm cool until the next cs upgrade.

oddly, my pro-53 is never requested.

(g5 2x2g, HDII)
Old 02-12-2005, 09:22 AM

you will not get softsynths to work on the current PT osx combo. there are a host of known issues that are not worked out at this juncture.if you use only one type and only a couple instances of it, then it might work. otherwise you are going to have troubles that are random.

Da-nick-str = Nick Dellos
Old 02-12-2005, 03:04 PM

Quote:
you will not get softsynths to work on the current PT osx combo. there are a host of known issues that are not worked out at this juncture.if you use only one type and only a couple instances of it, then it might work. otherwise you are going to have troubles that are random.
danickstr thanks; your post is quite sweeping as I assume you mean multi-vendor softsynths. Well, I knew that NI had some work to do but there is still a long way to go it seems, and NI stuff has never worked on PT properly to date, at least for me (but I'm not alone...). The NI website suggests issues have been fixed but boy there's still so many obvious bugs. This is unacceptable. I just find it dishonest that they say the plugs are RTAS compatible at this juncture, at least on OSX. It would be preferable for Digi to pull NI stuff from the compato list until it is more useable/stable.
Old 02-14-2005, 09:14 AM

I agree. How 'bout it, digi?

Old 02-14-2005, 09:50 AM

Quote:
I am running PT 6.7cs8 and OS X 10.3.7. While I have experienced some minor bugs and a few more crashes than usual. I have been able to successfully complete projects using a good number of soft synths. I use NI Komplete, Stylus RMX, Atmosphere and Mach5. I admit that I haven't used Battery 2.1 much. But I did use it without problems on 1 or 2 sessions. Also I haven't used FM7 on a project yet. But I use Absynth a lot, Atmosphere, and Stylus and I just used East West Quantum Leap Orchestra Gold on a project with the only problem being CPU power.

But to be sure, things are not as smooth as they should be. It seems like all platforms have some problems. But perhaps PT and OS X have more than others. (I think one of the biggest problems is that most softsynths take up a lot of CPU power and running them a long with a session starts to bog things down. My first step is going to be to add more RAM. I use 1.5 G now, but that is kind of low for a bunch of soft synths. Ideally I think one needs a seperate computer for soft synths.)
Old 02-14-2005, 06:18 PM

some poster mentioned that OSX softsynths are "shelled" versions of the PC code and this requires an extra bit of "crowbar" coding that may contribute to the problems. this could be a factor. glad to hear that you were able to complete a project, albeit with crashes.

Old 02-15-2005, 11:27 AM

NI's softs are buggy as hell with RTAS. Always have been since the jump to OSX. Sometimes they work, but mostly there are various problems that make it barely usable. I quit holding my breath a long time ago and have given up on most of the NI stuff. I still use some things occassionally, with mixed results, but I now refuse to buy any more of their products because they just can't seem to get it together when it comes to RTAS.