Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Closed Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 12:52 PM

Default Re: Attention Avid Audio: Where do I send the bill?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM@METRO View Post
Remove the deliberate crippling and I/O limitations in PT Native and this entire discussion would simply not exist.
That will probably never happen simply because Digi would suffer in the HD market. Except for commercial Studio's, who would go out and buy an HD system when they can get almost if not the same I/O with a native system for 1/4 of the price? Digidesign originally was in the business for the professional market and produced Sound Tools followed by PT which were proprietary systems for the pro market back in 1989. It was 10 years later they finally came out with a prosumer level system, the 001. Unfortunately since the recording industry has changed so much because of DAW's which in the big picture is a good thing, now hardly any commercial environment will want to purchase a HD system. AVID/DIGI is going through this painful reality. I have no idea what's next in the next generation of DAW's but I would bet that DIGI would still want to have two separate platforms, one for the consumer and one for the professional market.

Old 03-16-2010, 02:59 PM

I go back to Sound Tools as well and from Atari to Mac but still... One Pro Tools for all and let the hardware make the distinction. You could have a stack of 192s or an MBox.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 03-16-2010, 03:01 PM

Quote:
One Pro Tools for all and let the hardware make the distinction. You could have a stack of 192s or a MBox.
That would be nice, but as a company wanting to stay in business they would be shooting themselves in the head.

Old 03-16-2010, 03:04 PM

Quote:
I go back to Sound Tools as well and from Atari to Mac but still... One Pro Tools for all and let the hardware make the distinction. You could have a stack of 192s or an MBox.
then...the hobos rule.
Old 03-16-2010, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caruso7r View Post
That would be nice, but as a company wanting to stay in business they would be shooting themselves in the head.
How so? The only way retailers can sell TDM systems now is at a steep discount. Logic and Reaper are closing in on the future which is all Native. Computer power is becoming such that competing with Intel is just not feasible. This way they can go on selling hardware to everyone.

Formerly hobotom

HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 03-16-2010, 03:08 PM

I actually hope that I'm wrong in my previous statement, but the fact is: AVID/DIGI have been in the business for 26 years providing for the Professional market. Are they going to completely change their purpose?

Old 03-16-2010, 03:15 PM

Quote:
I actually hope that I'm wrong in my previous statement, but the fact is: AVID/DIGI have been in the business for 26 years providing for the Professional market. Are they going to completely change their purpose?
Problem is, it's the professional market that's changing, along with the industry itself. Budgets are just not what they used to be. The era of dozens of giant studios competing in the same area is becoming history.

Formerly hobotom

HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs

www.metrostudios.com
Old 03-16-2010, 03:19 PM

Quote:
I think you are right about this.
I have HD and LE and would not like it if Digi would offer identical versions of PT in both HD and LE.
Not only would I not like it because of wasted money in HD (which so far I don't feel like I have wasted considering how much more I like HD) but also because it would make me look like the fool I really am.
Many other HD users I have spoken with feel the same way.
It would cause a major uproar among a very specific target market they wouldn't want to loose.

GD
Old 03-16-2010, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Problem is, it's the professional market that's changing, along with the industry itself. Budgets are just not what they used to be. The era of a dozens of giant studios competing in the same area is becoming history.
And that's my point. If AVID/DIGI doesn't come up with something that's innovative, and that separates the pro level to consumer level, they will fall prey to the same quality of Logic, reaper nuendo, etc. Why is this forum one of the biggest forums around? I think cause they wanted to be the trail blazer of DAW's. I hope they continue to service a "pro" market and let other companies compete and raise their standard. I really don't want AVID/DIGI to lower their standards. Sorry that's my $.02...

Old 03-16-2010, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GtrDude View Post
I think you are right about this.
I have HD and LE and would not like it if Digi would offer identical versions of PT in both HD and LE.
Not only would I not like it because of wasted money in HD (which so far I don't feel like I have wasted considering how much more I like HD) but also because it would make me look like the fool I really am.
Many other HD users I have spoken with feel the same way.
It would cause a major uproar among a very specific target market they wouldn't want to loose.

GD
Just one question please.
How long should the Status Quo to remain?
Closed Thread