Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > ICON & C|24

Old 07-25-2012, 04:32 PM

Default Re: fighting faders

Quote:
Originally Posted by murks View Post
hi there,
anybody knows where to buy the carbon faders ?
i have to change a few faders on my d command.
thanks for your help.
greetz martin
http://www.avid.com/US/support/support-contact

if you have plastic you need to change the whole module out to carbon
yo can not intermix the 2 in a module

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 05-23-2015, 07:53 AM

I had fighting faders for years with my Icon. Nothing would fix the problem. Tried earth ground, carefully cleaned over and over again even though they didn't even appear to be at all dirty, cycled, basically tried everything posted about the issue. Anywhere from 2 to 7 faders were always unresponsive to touch.
Finally had a tech friend out who figured out how to fix it.
He can be contacted directly at [email protected] or call him (Lou DePasqua) at Innovative Technologies Corporation 847-877-1739. He's been doing music equipment repairs product designing in the Chicago area for 30 years. He's a good reasonable guy not out to rip anyone off.
He can provide you with a quote based upon the number of faders you want modified. You can send your faders in directly to him and he will turn them around quickly.
I haven't had one problem with faders since!
Old 07-30-2015, 08:27 PM

Most of this discussion seems to be about faders losing touch sensitivity. However, do these same tips (cleaning, noise filter) apply to sticky faders as well? My C24 faders are sometimes getting stuck (the same 2). They respond to a calibration (sometimes they get a little stuck during the cal but then catching up to the other faders and zeroing correctly) but then they will stick again.

When the first one started sticking I was simply going to order a replacement fader. Then a second one started, and now a 3rd has occasionally started. I'm wondering if there's a deeper issue or all 24 just need a good cleaning.

Also, this is the first I am hearing about carbon faders. My C24 was purchased used so I'm assuming I would have to foot the bill. Any idea how much a bank of 24 would cost?
Old 07-30-2015, 08:32 PM

I think the C24s have the carbon faders, it was the first few years of the D-Commands that had the problematic plastic faders
last I looked the faders were $200 ea.
you can try cleaning them, something may have gotten in the faders

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 02-18-2016, 08:53 AM

Anyone knows where to buy the carbon Alps fader for the D-Command? Any online shop have them for sale?

Is this the Alps Carbon Fader for the D-Command?

http://www.alps.com/prod/info/E/HTML...0K11V901S.html

Last edited by Simon Li; 02-18-2016 at 09:33 AM.
Old 03-02-2016, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Li View Post
Anyone knows where to buy the carbon Alps fader for the D-Command? Any online shop have them for sale?

Is this the Alps Carbon Fader for the D-Command?

Hi everybody,

[Long time reader, but never had an account till today. Champagne !]

We've got tired faders at work, on our D-Command, and I'm searching for a solution to replace them. We have like 8 replacement faders we bought, but as they were used, it wasn't a definitive solution (some were in a worst health than ours).

I've search a lot on ALPS Faders for D-Command, so here is what I found :

On avid.force, on this page http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...ility/en210819 they give the link to ALPS website for D-command faders (hallelujah).

Unfortunately the link does not work anymore, (http://www3.alps.co.jp/cgi-bin/WebOb...&top_mode=2003) but we can see in the link that there is “RSA0K11V900C”. Here it is, that's the exact fader model that uses the D-Command.

But it is not on ALPS's catalog anymore. Instead, there is the very close model number RSA0K11V901S, that Simon Li was speaking about just above me.

You can download the 3D modelization of this fader on ALPS website :

It looks absolutely the same as the 900C model, but there is one difference : The connector for the data cable is not on the side of the fader, but on the bottom.
Despite this, it's the same connector. It's just the placement which has changed.

I'm wondering to buy one to make a test. But there is one more question I have to fix.
Is it a plastic or carbon model ?

We have the very first generation of D-command, so with plastic faders I guess.
I don't know how to make the difference just at looking a fader. Anybody help ?

I read that I cannot mix plastic and carbon faders. As I've got plastic fader for the moment, if I buy the 901S model which I guess is a carbon one, all I have to do to test it is just to unplug all my faders of the main unit and then plug only the 901S → no mix between plastic and carbon with this.

Am I right ?

I hope all of this helped. If not, sorry for the long post. I offer you a potato to apologize.

Pudding
Old 03-02-2016, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHD View Post
Here is the link to photos

http://gallery.me.com/chds#100003

First, unplug the unit!!! Remove fader caps. To open D-Command, unscrew the 5 screws which hold the metal plate with faders with the help of a 2 mm HEX tool. Pull up the plate, taking care not to damage the wiring. Then unscrew the faders from the plate with the same tool. Beware dropping the screws inside. Then unplug wiring shown on pics 2 and 3. Pic 4 shows the metal enclosure. Just pull the two parts apart accurately. Pic. 5 shows the pink plate. The dark grey stripes on the plate are the contact tracks you need to clean. I used just a dry tissue, no solvents or cleaning liquids. When assembling everything back be careful while pushing the faders' wiring inside the D-Command. Wish you luck with your cleaning! My unit is working OK for 6 weeks already.
By the way, are my faders plastic or carbon? Pic 6 shows stickers with numbers on the fader.
Trying to access these photos but looks like the link is dead.. any chance we could get a new one?
Old 03-03-2016, 12:30 AM

But it is not on ALPS's catalog anymore. Instead, there is the very close model number RSA0K11V901S, that Simon Li was speaking about just above me.

You can download the 3D modelization of this fader on ALPS website :

It looks absolutely the same as the 900C model, but there is one difference : The connector for the data cable is not on the side of the fader, but on the bottom.
Despite this, it's the same connector. It's just the placement which has changed.

I'm wondering to buy one to make a test. But there is one more question I have to fix.
Is it a plastic or carbon model ?

IT IS "CP" - Conductive Plastic model
Mac 16 Core 7,1 -Os 10.15.7 - 96 gb Ram - Pro Tools 2022.6 Ultimate in 5 suites - MTRX Studio -S6 26-5-D - Sync HD - Video Satelite (Symphony 2022.5, AJA Kona 3g) Pro Protools 2022.6 Vanilla in 21 x Recording and Edit suites. Mac 6,1 Mac Mini, Mac Mini M1, Mac Studio Pro, Mac Studio Max
Mediacomposer 2021.12 on AJA Kona 3g / XT I/O x 3 suites. Multiple Avid S1, S3 & Docks
Old 03-03-2016, 03:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StefB View Post

IT IS "CP" - Conductive Plastic model
Thank you StefB for the answer.
At least, if we try them, we won't have to change a whole block of fader as we have plastic ones too. Great.

This faders are at 141,75 € on Mouser... And we still don't know if it will work on D-Command.
I asked ALPS two weeks ago by mail but never had an answer. I phone the french branch, and the technicians are in vacation...

Otherwise, it seems I've finally found an another fader manufacturer who have models compatible with D-Command ! He told me that another studio contact him some times ago for the same thing.
He gave them a model, and the studio answered him that it was fully operational in their D-Command. So they bought like 32 of it.

I'm ordering one to make a test. I'll get back to you guys after this to tell you if it works or not. And give you the manufacturer. He is in France BTW, and can provide large amount.
And the price is only 40€ !

Thanks
Old 03-03-2016, 08:10 AM

Please keep us updated. I'm looking into replacing the faders on my D-Command as well.