Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-27-2019, 11:54 PM

Default I'm Buying HDX - will I be ok?

So the time has finally come for me.....
I'm running an old 2010 Mac Pro
It's been great at 48k (Orion 32+ via USB 3)
But I've now moved to 96k and she just can't handle it.
So I'm going to purchase a HDX card, Pro tools Ultimate and the Orion HD interface.

Firstly will HDx run on my system - see specs in attachments - yosemite - Mid 2010 Mac Pro

Secondly - When is Pro Tools 2019 due to release? Pretty keen on that

Also I need more than 128 voices / tracks - I heard a rumour that 'voice packs' will be available...
will they work for me on my system?
256 at 96k would be great.

Thirdly - I'll be holding out for the new 3rd Gen Orion HD - anyone know when it's due? And have you had success with the 2nd Gen Orion HD and HDX card?

thanks in advance
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2019-01-26 at 7.03.14 pm.png (71.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: png Screen Shot 2019-01-26 at 7.03.26 pm.png (43.4 KB, 0 views)

Mac Studio M1 Max
32 GB ram
macOS Ventura 13.1
24 core Metal 3 GPU
Avid MTRX Studio
Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.12
HDX card
AVID TB3 1 slot PCie Chassis
Old 01-28-2019, 12:36 AM

Default Re: I'm Buying HDX - will I be ok?

Looks like like you've got the basis for a nice system there!

I can't comment about the Orion HD as I have Avid HD boxes. HDX will run fine on your system, I have the single six-core 2010 Mac Pro and I only have 24GB RAM. I have a Raid 0 system with two drives (7200rpm) for my Audio Drive and a PCI based SSD blade for my system drive which has made a HUGE difference.

Regarding the computer though, Avid have stated (and users on here have reported) that 10.10.5 with Pro Tools HD 12.8.1 and an HDX card is very stable. Once you go into and over El Capitan there are CPU errors and GUI lags that can slow down fast editing and you may be limited to high buffer sizes (see HowardK's post) This is possibly to do with the Metal API that Apple introduced in El Capitan, Avid state that Pro Tools isn't optimised for screen resolutions over 1080p.

You'll see from my specs that I run 10.12.6 with 2018.12 with no problems but I've downgraded by 27" 2560x1440 screen for a 1080p screen.

Of course if you now buy the latest Pro Tools tools Ultimate you won't have access to the legacy installers for 12.8.x. So, either upgrade to Sierra or High Sierra (don't bother with El Capitan) If you go to Mojave you'll need a new graphics card (see here) AND you'll need to install High Sierra first to give your Mac Pro a firmware upgrade.

If you're considereing staying at Yosemite I have the installer for 12.8.1 but then of course you'll be playing plugin roulette as Yosemite is now unsupported by a lot of manufacturers.

Bottom line is, and from my experience, if you can handle high buffer sizes (bearing in mind that HDX runs all the audio processing anyway) and the possibility of some screen lag then head over to Sierra or High Sierra and hope and pray that Avid released an update that supports Metal (Appl Graphic API) that fixes all our problems.

Mac Mini 8,1 (2018) | 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel i7 | 64GB Ram | Apple 27" LED Cinema | 2TB System Drive | LaCie Rugged USB-C 2TB SSD NVMe Audio Drive | UAD-2 Quad Satellite (Firewire)

macOS Catalina 10.15.7 | Pro Tools Ultimate 2021.7 | Avid HDX TB3 Chassis | HDX | Avid Omni | Avid 16x16 HD I/O x2 | Digidesign 192 | Digidesign C24
Old 01-28-2019, 01:00 AM

Voice packs should be irrelevant to you. HDX voices are DSP limited. You should understand that, if not read the reference guide.
Old 01-28-2019, 03:31 AM

Darryl is correct, Voice Packs are for standalone PT Ultimate users.

Re: voices and HDX:

https://www.pro-tools-expert.com/hom...racks-and-more

For HDX Users - If you an HDX owner then with this new version of Pro Tools the maximum number of simultaneous audio tracks for each HDX card will go up from 256 to 384. If you have an HDX3 system that will bring the maximum number of simultaneous audio tracks to 1152. There will be no extra charge for HDX users. The voice count is dependent on the number of HDX cards you have. If you have 1 card you will get 384 voices, 2 HDX cards will give you 768 voices and 3 HDX cards will give you 1152 voices.
M1MAX Mac Studio OS 14.4.1, PT2024.3, HDX, S1/Dock
M1 PRO MacBook Pro OS 14.4.1, PT2024.3, BabyFacePro FS
Old 01-28-2019, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the.engineer View Post
Looks like like you've got the basis for a nice system there!

I can't comment about the Orion HD as I have Avid HD boxes. HDX will run fine on your system, I have the single six-core 2010 Mac Pro and I only have 24GB RAM. I have a Raid 0 system with two drives (7200rpm) for my Audio Drive and a PCI based SSD blade for my system drive which has made a HUGE difference.

Regarding the computer though, Avid have stated (and users on here have reported) that 10.10.5 with Pro Tools HD 12.8.1 and an HDX card is very stable. Once you go into and over El Capitan there are CPU errors and GUI lags that can slow down fast editing and you may be limited to high buffer sizes (see HowardK's post) This is possibly to do with the Metal API that Apple introduced in El Capitan, Avid state that Pro Tools isn't optimised for screen resolutions over 1080p.

You'll see from my specs that I run 10.12.6 with 2018.12 with no problems but I've downgraded by 27" 2560x1440 screen for a 1080p screen.

Of course if you now buy the latest Pro Tools tools Ultimate you won't have access to the legacy installers for 12.8.x. So, either upgrade to Sierra or High Sierra (don't bother with El Capitan) If you go to Mojave you'll need a new graphics card (see here) AND you'll need to install High Sierra first to give your Mac Pro a firmware upgrade.

If you're considereing staying at Yosemite I have the installer for 12.8.1 but then of course you'll be playing plugin roulette as Yosemite is now unsupported by a lot of manufacturers.

Bottom line is, and from my experience, if you can handle high buffer sizes (bearing in mind that HDX runs all the audio processing anyway) and the possibility of some screen lag then head over to Sierra or High Sierra and hope and pray that Avid released an update that supports Metal (Appl Graphic API) that fixes all our problems.
Wonderful post
Very helpful
Thankyou

Mac Studio M1 Max
32 GB ram
macOS Ventura 13.1
24 core Metal 3 GPU
Avid MTRX Studio
HDX card
Old 01-28-2019, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Voice packs should be irrelevant to you. HDX voices are DSP limited. You should understand that, if not read the reference guide.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Russell View Post
Darryl is correct, Voice Packs are for standalone PT Ultimate users.

Re: voices and HDX:

https://www.pro-tools-expert.com/hom...racks-and-more

For HDX Users - If you an HDX owner then with this new version of Pro Tools the maximum number of simultaneous audio tracks for each HDX card will go up from 256 to 384. If you have an HDX3 system that will bring the maximum number of simultaneous audio tracks to 1152. There will be no extra charge for HDX users. The voice count is dependent on the number of HDX cards you have. If you have 1 card you will get 384 voices, 2 HDX cards will give you 768 voices and 3 HDX cards will give you 1152 voices.
Thanks guys
That’s at 48k yes?
My understanding is that at 96k the voices halve right?
That’s what I worked out from the Avid site.

Mac Studio M1 Max
32 GB ram
macOS Ventura 13.1
24 core Metal 3 GPU
Avid MTRX Studio
HDX card
Old 01-28-2019, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anguswoodhead View Post
Thanks guys
That’s at 48k yes?
My understanding is that at 96k the voices halve right?
Right.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 02-01-2019, 09:13 AM

You can also turn that 2010 MacPro into a 12 core, and it will handle just about anything you ever throw at it......Much cheaper than a used HDX card that go for 2k.

Buy a dual CPU tray from either a 2009 or 2010 MacPro, buy 2 six core CPU's, install, and you have a screaming 12 Core, with Geekbench Scores over 31,000.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-Mac-P....c100005.m1851
Old 02-01-2019, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProtoolsLover View Post
You can also turn that 2010 MacPro into a 12 core, and it will handle just about anything you ever throw at it......Much cheaper than a used HDX card that go for 2k.

Buy a dual CPU tray from either a 2009 or 2010 MacPro, buy 2 six core CPU's, install, and you have a screaming 12 Core, with Geekbench Scores over 31,000.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-Mac-P....c100005.m1851
It’s already a 12 core
See specs attachment in my original post
Thanks.

Mac Studio M1 Max
32 GB ram
macOS Ventura 13.1
24 core Metal 3 GPU
Avid MTRX Studio
HDX card
Old 02-01-2019, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anguswoodhead View Post
It’s already a 12 core
See specs attachment in my original post
Thanks.
Missed that. I'm shocked you are having any issues at 96k. I've never come close to maxing my system out. Could USB3 be an issue? I wouldn't think so...

I'm on HD Native, with Omni, Apogee AD/DA 16's, and 192 I/O 16 in/ 8 out.

On a side note, the new Orion HD looks sweet!!!!!!