Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Licensing & Accounts

Old 05-24-2019, 07:49 AM

Default Upgrade License

Case: 03706166

I started a case that has now been closed, not sure why, but I still need help with this issue and no one is responding to the email chain.

My Avid account says "Your Software Updates + Support Plan expires on Feb 15, 2020", but my iLok and Pro Tools Application Manager do not seem to agree.

I understand I can update over my Avid account manually, I would like my iLok and Pro Tools Application Manager to recognize that my "Software Updates + Support Plan" license IS active.

I wont include the screen capture of my Avid account here, for obvious reasons but I do have one if an Admin is interested, that shows when I go to "My Products" and click "Pro Tools" it says "Your Software Updates + Support Plan expires on Feb 15, 2020".

I "deactivated" the upgrade license on the iLok and the iLok is giving me no options to "activate", "take ownership" or any other option besides "hide".

I have reset and updated my computer, updated iLok, synced my iLok and it appears that I have completed set up on my Avid account.

The "Upgrade License" is now sitting in the "Unavailable" and still has a "Pending" icon next to it in the "All Licenses" view.

I am simply asking why my Avid account says "Your Software Updates + Support Plan expires on Feb 15, 2020" but my iLok says that my Upgrades licenses has expired and how to fix this issue.

Thank you,

Lawrence
Old 05-24-2019, 08:33 AM

Default Re: Upgrade License

Will check it out...
Old 05-27-2019, 03:58 PM

"Entered on: 5/25/2019 11:03 PM Entered by: Ziv

Hi Lawrence,

We're sorry inform you that Upgrades is not included on Renewals anymore. To avoid confusion, please take note that you will still receive the latest versions of Pro Tools until February 2020 since your licenses for Pro Tools Perpetual and Pro Tools Plan are already updated both on your Avid and iLok account."

Could anyone help me understand this? I thought that by purchasing the Perpetual License that I would have access to upgrades, which I technically do....., but not through my iLok or Pro Tool app manager?

Thank you,

Lawrence
Old 05-27-2019, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrsmithiii View Post
"Entered on: 5/25/2019 11:03 PM Entered by: Ziv

Hi Lawrence,

We're sorry inform you that Upgrades is not included on Renewals anymore. To avoid confusion, please take note that you will still receive the latest versions of Pro Tools until February 2020 since your licenses for Pro Tools Perpetual and Pro Tools Plan are already updated both on your Avid and iLok account."

Could anyone help me understand this? I thought that by purchasing the Perpetual License that I would have access to upgrades, which I technically do....., but not through my iLok or Pro Tool app manager?

Thank you,

Lawrence
That is one awful confusing support email. Did they mean you purchased the $99 update when you should have purchased a $299 catch-up product... if so I would have hoped support had just said that in plain English and hopefully offered to let you pay the difference. If that is what happened and you purchased from an Avid reseller, go back to them and ask if they can sort this out for you.

---

I'm not sure I understand your situation and exactly what you purchase when and if your updates entitlement already lapsed for example. When you purchase a Pro Tools perpetual license now you get a year long update subscription. After that year you need to purchase additional annual update subscriptions. That provides you with you full updates to the latest software not just minor updates. Some avid support service are also included in that $99 annual plan.

You likely want to renew that annually, if you lags beyond a 30 day grace period Avid charges you more to rejoin the subscription plan an expired update subscription. ($299). e.g. this SKU in retail https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...e-expired-plan

Info on renewing update subscriptions directly via Avid is here: http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...l-Avid-Account

If you are having problems understanding licensing I'd encourage you to contact one of the better Avid resellers like Vintage King or Sweetwater, their reps should be able to explain it all to you live. (YMMV with any individual sales rep, but both companies have folks who understand this stuff).

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 05-27-2019 at 11:21 PM.
Old 05-27-2019, 05:27 PM

Hey

I am resending this to Avid Support now and someone will answer here and or via email and PM so keep an eye out for that and make sure it doesn’t end up in the trash folder.

Hang tight/
Christopher

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 05-28-2019, 09:29 AM

Thank you Southsidemusic, Darryl Ramm and jeffro.

Last night I manually downloaded the newest version over my Avid account (via web browser), when I initiated the setup procedure it installed something called "Avid Link", I was using something called "Pro Tools Application Manager" before this, they seem to essentially be the same program but once I downloaded "Avid Link" it gave me the option to update from 2018.12 to 2019.5, though I did not need to do so, since I was installing 2019.5 manually.

The "Upgrade License" on my iLok still shows as "unavailable", but with the new program (Avid Link) I am able to upgrade as I was doing previously with the "Pro Tools Application Manager".

Did I miss an option to download Avid Link at some point? I don't remember an email or a prompt, is everyone else now using Avid Link, instead of Pro Tools Application Manager?

Thank you,

Lawrence
Old 05-28-2019, 10:15 AM

Glad you were able to make progress!

Avid Link replaced Avid Application Manager in the Pro Tools 19.5 release, but it's been available via our website and MyAvid for a bit. It also adds mobile support so you can use some of its functionality on your smartphone or tablet.

As for the Upgrades license, will check out the case but I think the rep was referring to a license we originally included but didn't utilize when we released our Update Plans. See the FAQ about this and let us know if you are referring to something else.