Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 02-05-2004, 09:35 AM

Default PT 6.2.3/Powerbook 17\"/SCSI

Hi-

Is SCSI now supported with the the 6.2.3 update per the Powerbook 17"/Magma 4-slot chassis (and ATTO 3.02 drivers)?
Thanks.

Craig
Old 02-05-2004, 05:02 PM

Default Re: PT 6.2.3/Powerbook 17\"/SCSI

Well, it SEEMS to work: Audio off of a scsi drive (UL3D card, Magma 4-slot, HD3) DV file off a FW800, and Canopus box on the FW 400. No crackling; have oonly tested 20 audio tracks with DV running.

Any official word?

Craig
Old 02-06-2004, 01:42 AM

I am getting rid of my Glyph Trip Rach Hot Swap Drive set up ..Great Drives 15k and was an expensive set up, but I find that G5's are not really supporting SCSI anymore.. Firewire is the future and I am doing fine with my internal drives now. I never thougth I'd be saying that, but it's true!

G

Protools 2020.12 Ultimate HD Native Thunderbolt Avid HD IO
Mac Pro 3.5GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5 64GB of Ram
OSX Mojave 10.14.6, Digital Performer 9.5.2, Logic Pro X 10.5.1
Old 02-08-2004, 02:17 PM

Really weird. I've been running 20 tracks at 48k/24 bit off of a 36 gig 10,000 rpm scsi drive, DV off a FW800 drive, and the Canopus box off the FW400 (of a PowerBook 17"). Did it for a few days, looping it all, generating timecode...Not a glitch. Today I try to boot up, and nothing but the SOD (Screen of Death) before it can even boot up. Remove the scsi card (and drive inside the Magma 4-slot chassis) and all is okay. Ran Disk Warrior first, no real boot drive problem. I guess this Panther improved scsi support is not for us Powerbook/Magma types. I guess it was worth a shot, but why would it work flawlessly one day and then not at all the next? A power surge to the scsi card? Unlikely, I think.

Anyway, since Digi doesn't want to deal with the PowerBook/Magma/HD sitch, I'll just go away and ponder what to do next. I have to run both audio and DV; I can loop the Canopus box through the FW400 drive, but I've seen occasional stutters and video just plain stopping while everything else keeps going.

If anybody else has a solution or a work-a-round, I'd love to hear it.

Thanks.

Craig
Old 02-08-2004, 03:51 PM

We have not qualified SCSI for CardBus in OSX, nor do we have plans to.

http://www.digidesign.com/compato/osx/hd/expand.cfm

We will soon be making a separate CardBus page in order to lend more clarity.
The reason for no SCSI in OS X CardBus is that the limited bandwidth available with CardBus has already restricted the number of tracks you can use @48kHz. In fact, the number has dropped from 96 (with Jaguar and TiBook) to 90 (with Panther and TiBook) and 80 (with Panther and Aluminum Book). Putting SCSI on the same bus (since the SCSI card has to be in the chassis) degraded performance further, which is why we decided to keep it out of the qualification tests.

If you do choose to use SCSI in a CardBus configuration, just keep in mind that this configuration has not been qualified by us.

Danny Caccavo
Digidesign
Old 02-08-2004, 09:52 PM

Danny-

I gave up the scsi ghost. Interesting that as Powerbooks get more powerful, and as OS provide allegedly better scsi support, track count goes down. Be that as it may, I'm still perplexed why it worked one day and then gave me nothing but the screen of death upon boot.

That said, I removed the card, and maxed out the Playback engine - 128 voices, 4 DSPs, 8096 hardware buffer, and 85% CPU usage. I have (now) audio on the FW800 drive, DV on a FW400, and that and the Canopus routed through a firewire hub. The FW800 drive is from OWC (though I also have a Granite Digital FW800 chassis) the FW400 is a drive in a Granite Digital FW800 chassis, and the hub and cables are all from Granite Digital.

That done, I was able to loop 20 tracks of 48k/24 bit audio, DV picture, and generate timecode and it ran flawlessly for 45 minutes without a video stutter. I'll try more tracks tomorrow. I do this because I need a portable TDM system for scoring films on a scoring stage, running picture, pre-records, and driving via the Sync I/O. And sometimes I have a bunch a pre-records, as well as the film's dialog as well as the temp music all tagging along.

If I can't get this to work reliably, then I'll really have to consider Performer and another audio interface; I really don't want to do that. Is there anything or setting that I'm missing? Is there a more efficient way to do what I want to do on this system. (I have a desktop HD3 which is virtually flawless, a real workhorse, but not terrible portable)

I appreciate your time Danny. I think too more testing in this area will eventually behoove Digi, as I really think the trend toward portables will be more prevalent as time goes on.

Craig
Old 02-12-2004, 11:20 PM

A couple of questions -

1) Are you turning up the HW buffer size because you had to back in the PT 6.1 days? You shouldn't have to do that anymore. (Does it make any difference if you do?)
2) How many tracks are you getting with this test before there's a problem?

If you run into problems with higher track count and video, you should be able to get better performance if you copy the video to the internal drive.

Let me know

Danny Caccavo
Digidesign
Old 02-13-2004, 07:12 AM

Danny-

I'll try turning the HW buffer back down and see how it goes. As I posted on another thread, all seems to be well; yesterday, I tested it at 96/24 with 28 tracks and DV, no hiccups, this with everything in Playback Engine maxed out, DAE buffer set to 4.

In the past, I have copied the DV to the internal drive, and it is a slightly better performance. But sometimes I'll have a lot of huge DV files to contend with; various versions of film reels, etc., to the point where it would take up almost too much space. On a smaller project, that would be the way to go, not only for performance but for portability - one less drive to lug around.

I'll keep putting this system through its paces....I don't use the Powerbook system as a record machine, so outside of putting a lot of tracks into record locked to timecode (and listening for pops and testing performance) I don't plan to that kind of real world testing on it. But I will be recording mixdowns and dubbing a small movie in the next few weeks on this system (which I've done many times in the past on my older Powerbook/Magma 2-slot system) and see how it goes.

Craig
Old 02-13-2004, 11:37 AM

Things still good with HW Buffer at 512.

Craig