Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-19-2011, 11:26 AM

Default I Need A DigiLink Cable

Don't laugh, but the supplied 12 foot cable is rediculous for my setup. The computer is next to my 96 I/O. It is a huge ball of tie-wraps and dust bunnies. I noticed in the manual that all 96 I/O come supplied with an 18 inch long "DigiLink Cable." I ran up to my loft and there it was. It worked. Well almost. I had to pull things this way and that way, and the result is it works, but that thing is pulled taut.

The only cables that AVID sells are bigger to gigantic in length. Seeing that half of HD system owners probably have an extra cable, maybe someone can help. They can't (I hope) make every one exactly the same. My cable measures exactly 18-5/8 from connector edge to connector edge. The maximum, over-all length. Does anyone out there have one that is significantly longer, say 19 or more inches?
Old 02-20-2011, 07:29 AM

Default Re: I Need A DigiLink Cable

We got 1-meter cables with our SSL DeltaLink boxes. You could always just buy that cable from SSL. Also, SSL recommends much shorter lengths when running at higher sample rates. They claim 1-meter is the MAXIMUM it should be at 192kHz, so I'm surprised Avid/Digi's are so long.
Old 02-23-2011, 09:58 PM

Thanks, I'll call them in the AM.
Old 03-02-2011, 03:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Seaberg View Post
We got 1-meter cables with our SSL DeltaLink boxes. You could always just buy that cable from SSL. Also, SSL recommends much shorter lengths when running at higher sample rates. They claim 1-meter is the MAXIMUM it should be at 192kHz, so I'm surprised Avid/Digi's are so long.
I think they are full of it. I was told 90cm is maximum length for 96kHz. This was just last week by SSL tech support. If this is the case, why is that everywhere I look, I see things like 100ft max for 96k... 50ft max for 192k.
And why do Digi supply a 3m cable with Core/Accel cards. They are capable of 192kHz and their is no way they would supply an incompatible cable. Wouldnt that be like selling a ferrari that only has a 1st gear?
The other thing is that you cannot buy a 90cm cable. There is a very short one (possibly for rack interconnects and too short to stretch to your system) and the next one up is 3.5ft i think (which supposedly will not support anything above 48kHz.

I dont know if I'm angry or confused
Old 03-02-2011, 07:50 AM

That's the cable length we got with our SSL console and MADI interfaces... didn't I say that? I said 1-meter... so I was 10cm off. Still, prior to that I had 'standard' Avid Digilink cables and has lots of problems and lots of excess cable. When I re-installed the SSL 90cm cables, our issues went away.

If you don't need more than 36" of cable then why buy it? Didn't SSL say they would sell you cables?