Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 08-03-2018, 04:30 PM

Default Replacement Ideas for Dead 002 on PT8?

Hi, had the same rig for a long time now, and the old 002R finally gave up the ghost. Stopped recognizing the computer or lighting up on the front. Trying to figure out the best replacement option.

I only use it to access PT8, which works fine for me, and I use separate ADA via SPDIF. So, my only requirements for an interface are that it allow me to use PT 8, have SPDIF ADA, and supports low latency monitoring. What are the options these days? MBox 3? MBox 3 Pro? Newer Avid hardware that supports PT8?

I know I know, upgrade PT and use whatever interface I want - but that still requires a new interface, lots of money, and plugin version issues, so why?

Thanks for all ideas!
Old 08-03-2018, 04:50 PM

Default Re: Replacement Ideas for Dead 002 on PT8?

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...n+002&_sacat=0
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 08-03-2018, 06:18 PM

Second hand 003R would be my suggestion. Why reinvent your wheel? The 003r is pretty much exactly the same, except everything is just a little bit better(I just bought a minty one in the box for $150 for my backup rig)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 08-04-2018, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
Second hand 003R would be my suggestion. Why reinvent your wheel? The 003r is pretty much exactly the same, except everything is just a little bit better(I just bought a minty one in the box for $150 for my backup rig)
Thanks Albee - would an MBox 3 give me all the necessary features though for less the price? I looked around a just a little and it seems like $150 for an 003R is pretty good, some of the MBox 3’s still seem to command $300.
Old 08-04-2018, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by numberforty1 View Post
Thanks Albee - would an MBox 3 give me all the necessary features though for less the price? I looked around a just a little and it seems like $150 for an 003R is pretty good, some of the MBox 3’s still seem to command $300.
If used Mbox 3's are selling at $300 and 003r is selling for less, I'd say you answered your own question While the Mbox 3 has enough IO to fit your needs, its a USB interface so it will have slightly higher latency as compared to a firewire interface. Mbox PRO(which uses firewire) would work fine if you get a great deal(using Mbox 2 Pro on a second system here and its fine). Having used most of the Mbox variants, as well as 002 and 003, I lean toward the 003 for its extra IO(and it mounts in a rack easily). Being stuck at LE8, these are your only options and since you already have firewire, I'd stick with that. 003r should be plug and play. any Mbox may call for a new driver or a re-install of Pro Tools(because LE installs the driver as part of the software install).

Old 08-04-2018, 03:09 PM

Quote:
If used Mbox 3's are selling at $300 and 003r is selling for less, I'd say you answered your own question While the Mbox 3 has enough IO to fit your needs, its a USB interface so it will have slightly higher latency as compared to a firewire interface. Mbox PRO(which uses firewire) would work fine if you get a great deal(using Mbox 2 Pro on a second system here and its fine). Having used most of the Mbox variants, as well as 002 and 003, I lean toward the 003 for its extra IO(and it mounts in a rack easily). Being stuck at LE8, these are your only options and since you already have firewire, I'd stick with that. 003r should be plug and play. any Mbox may call for a new driver or a re-install of Pro Tools(because LE installs the driver as part of the software install).
Thanks, really I was wondering why an Mbox 3 Pro would command more of a price tag than a Digi 003. They seem to offer about the same I/O and FireWire, but I imagine the 003 has more, better quality hardware and more flexibility with other hardware, no? The Mbox is probably a little more convenient for me since I don’t need a full rack or the Digi pre’s, so I wish I knew why it commanded a higher price tag.
Old 08-05-2018, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by numberforty1 View Post
Thanks, really I was wondering why an Mbox 3 Pro would command more of a price tag than a Digi 003. They seem to offer about the same I/O and FireWire, but I imagine the 003 has more, better quality hardware and more flexibility with other hardware, no? The Mbox is probably a little more convenient for me since I don’t need a full rack or the Digi pre’s, so I wish I knew why it commanded a higher price tag.
I have no clue why the big difference, but sometimes people try to sell stuff for way more than fair market value. The Mbox Pro can only do(I think) 6 in and 6 out, while the 003 is capable of 18 IO. Just my 2 cents, but I think the 003 is a better investment in this case(especially if its cheaper)

Old 08-08-2018, 07:40 AM

Quote:
I have no clue why the big difference, but sometimes people try to sell stuff for way more than fair market value. The Mbox Pro can only do(I think) 6 in and 6 out, while the 003 is capable of 18 IO. Just my 2 cents, but I think the 003 is a better investment in this case(especially if its cheaper)
^^ This. ^^^

I would choose the 003 over the Mbox as well.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com