Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > ProControl, Control|24, Command|8
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-21-2004, 11:57 AM

Default PC users : how long will it last ? POLL

Hi , Procontrol users. Is the PC still state of the art? How long do you think it will last ?
What do you think , will it still be supported in future Protools releases for let's say another 3 years?

I'm just asking because I'm planning to purchase one or another Control surface and find the control 24 an augly beast comparing to the PC.
Old 08-21-2004, 07:36 PM

Default Re: PC users : how long will it last ? POLL

Hi,
I own a Pro Control and like it very much, especially for post. Here's an enhanced version of a list I posted in another thread of the advatages the Pro Contol has over other choices.

1. Low profile. When you're mixing to picture, it's much better to have the computer monitors just below your view of the screen. I don't use cue sheets anymore, they just get in my way. I use the Edit Window instead. The C-24 is so tall you have to put your monitors far to the left or right, out of your field of vision.
2. I find the faders much smoother and more accuate than most other consoles, especially the Midi controllers.
3. This is a personal preference, but I like the plugin parameter controls in the more traditional vertical alignment instead of stretched horizontaly across the console.
4. You can add an Edit Pack. This alone makes the Pro Control a true re-recording console. Being able to target panners by just dialing them in and having touch sensative joysticks is so much faster than the C-24 or other controllers it's not even funny. Even the ICON doesn't have these panners yet, giving the PC a big advantage here.
5. With the Edit Pack, you have a full editing keyboard and trackball right on the console. Very handy.
6. The monitor section handles 5.1 monitoring fine, although there are some great external systems you can buy if you need more external returns, i.e. the Martinsound MultiMax. Some monitor speaker packages also have very good monitor systems that are tailored for them, i.e Dynaudio AIR or the Blue Sky systems.
6. The Pro Control can be expanded to 48 faders. I find though that more than 32 faders doesn't gain you much since they just become out of reach. I prefer to make Show/Hide layouts that bring the channels I want to work on right in front of me.
7. The Pro Control displays 8 characters on the modules. Doesn't seem like much but when you're moving fast, cryptic, four character abbreviations aren't very helpful.
8. It's small enough to use as a "side car" to a large format console, which I do a lot.
9. If you need to transport it from place to place, it comes apart into small pieces that are easy to handle and can fit in an average car. It's also easy to adjust the amount of faders you need depending on the task at hand. A full setup with an Edit Pack as a main console, or a smaller configuration as a side car.

I wouldn't worry about future support. It's not that hard to update the driver profiles for new versions of Pro Tools software. Since the PC is just a control surface, it can't really become "obsolete" in the normal sense. If you can find a good deal on one, I'd go for it. Just remember, it's the Edit Pack that really makes this thing fly. And be careful not to get an older PC with the detented rotory knobs. They make a lot of noise when you turn them and are rough on your fingers. The newer PC's have smooth turning knobs.

P.S. Hey dr sound, check it out. I'm finally in the right forum!
Old 08-26-2004, 08:57 AM

Quote:

<deletia>
I wouldn't worry about future support. It's not that hard to update the driver profiles for new versions of Pro Tools software. Since the PC is just a control surface, it can't really become "obsolete" in the normal sense.
Tell that to Gallery, that has "forgotten" to update the Axis Panner driver profile since ProTools 5.0 (!!) under the "cooperation" of Digidesign to sell Edit Packs.(paranoia alert!)

Quote:
If you can find a good deal on one, I'd go for it. Just remember, it's the Edit Pack that really makes this thing fly. And be careful not to get an older PC with the detented rotory knobs. They make a lot of noise when you turn them and are rough on your fingers. The newer PC's have smooth turning knobs.

Not to mention that they malfunction very easily. Our two "clicky" ProControl Main Units have several pots that are very temperamental (one click can randomly become a 6 db or a 45 db drop). We have abandoned them and work constantly in Flip mode. :P
Old 08-26-2004, 08:04 PM

>Our two "clicky" ProControl Main Units have several pots that are very temperamental (one click can randomly become a 6 db or a 45 db drop)<

Yeh, that too.