Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Win)

Old 12-26-2017, 09:21 AM

Default Need help for replacement interface

I have long used Pro Tools 8.05 M Powered with my M-AudioFast Track Ultra.

The Fast track is behaving erractically now, probably because the support for it is gone.

I recently bought the Steinberg UR44 as a replacement , and had forgotten that my version of Pro Tools needs a M-Audio product or it won't work. When I uninstalled the drivers for the Fast Track and Installed the Steinberg instead, Pro Tools told me it could not find my hardware and refused to start.

Does anyone have any advise as to what hardware product I can but to replace the Fast Track Ultra and stll work with pro Tools M powered? I'd hate to have to buy a new version of Pro Tools and a new hardware product., so I am trying to find a hardwatre product that would work with Pro tools M powered.

Thank-you
Old 12-26-2017, 09:59 AM

Default Need help for replacement

Google online and find what interfaces originally came with Pro Tools 8 M Powered and buy one of those on EBay or similar.

In practice I suspect you would be better off upgrading. Eventually you will have to upgrade, ... software, computer, interface... it is just a matter of when.

The capabilities in Pro Tools 12 are so much more advanced than MP8, and support for current OS releases is there. And none of those interfaces were that great. You already brought the UR44, is that cost sunk? Or have you returned it? If you do look at Pro Tools 12 pay attention to the higher-end computer requirements... which might well put you off upgrading. You can also rent Pro Tools 12 by the month to test it out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 12-26-2017, 03:16 PM

Default Re: Need help for replacement interface

Not sure where in the world you are but I saw a ProFire2626 at a shop in Nashville for $200(Paragon Mills on Nolensville Rd)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 12-26-2017, 04:33 PM

Thanks for all your replies.

All things considered, I think it's best that I stick with the Steinberg UR44. It comes with Cubase and although I'm a Pro Tools guy, it is probably best for me to run my future sessions in Cubase so that i don't have to buy another version of Pro Tools.

It's a shame because I like Pro tools and have over 150 sessions recorded in Pro Tools. ;-(

Thanks again!!!
Old 12-26-2017, 04:50 PM

The other option I'll point out is "free" Pro Tools First, and now I'll point out how stupid that option is... it has no compatibility with your current 150 Pro Tools MP sessions... so yep go Cubase if you want. Avid screwed up low-end strategy here badly.
Old 12-26-2017, 07:39 PM

Thanks again. Maybe avid is not providing backwards copatability so that people like you and I have to upgrade. If that's the case, it was a poor strategy as it has become worth my while to switch to Cubase- sadly. I just have been viewing tutorials on Cubase Elements 9.5 and man is it ever complicated.

I was wondering, is there any format that can be saved to in ProTools that would make the session importable in Cubase?
Old 12-26-2017, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal D View Post
I was wondering, is there any format that can be saved to in ProTools that would make the session importable in Cubase?
OMF might work, others here may have tried that. And unfortunately Cubase does not support AAF... Steinberg is as bad as Avid at many decisions.

But I doubt Pro Tools MP9 will export OMF, you would need to open that in a later full version of Pro Tools to then export.... which you could try renting.

And obviously you need to arrange to have similar or equivalent plugins in both worlds,... this is likely a huge amount of work than just upgrading to Pro Tools 12.