Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Win)

Old 06-04-2017, 12:23 PM

Default Setting level using S/PDIF input ?

Hello,
Is it really that long since I've been on this forum ?
Anyway, I am hoping someone might help me sort this out.
I use m powered 7.3 on an old pc with XP and no internet connection I have the 1010LT card.
I finally decided to have a go at connecting my Korg Pa1x keyboard to my Pro Tools using the S/PDIF . After buying a suitable lead from Studio Spares ,(other retailers are available ) I connected it up and followed the instructions in the M Audio 1010lt manual and the Korg manual. Success ! Only the input level from the Korg is showing far too low on the mix page of my Pro Tools.
I can't find any info on setting the level higher so I can record with this connection.
Please can anyone help ?
Mark in Wales.
Old 06-04-2017, 01:20 PM

The input is S/PDIF digital, so it is what it is. There is no gain adjustment on the input/interface.

You have lots of clean gain in the Pro Tools mixer and plugins if that is ever needed--it should not be to a huge extent to correct some radically too low input... you should set the keyboard to get more of the way there.

How are you determining the input is too low? If that is because the output is too low what monitors/headphones are you playing through and is their volume turned well up?

And so we know what you are seeing, what is that input level in dBFS? The Pro Tools input meters are right in in front of you.

Make sure your meters are in pre-faded mode (Pro Tools reference guide if you don't know about that).

Turning up the output level on the Korg, I have no idea if the Korg had a separate S/PDIF output level adjustment or not. The manual will tell you. If not then turn up its main volume.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-05-2017, 04:54 AM

Default Re: Setting level using S/PDIF input ?

Hi,
Many thanks for your reply.
Firstly I have to confess to being somewhat of a Homer when it comes to all things computer related as I seem to have problems with any technical learning. So, getting that out of the way. The only option on my Korg is to turn the S/PDIF on or off. The master volume doesn't affect the output, though the sequencer volume does and I have it all the way up. The signal on the monitor mixer page of the Delta 1010 looks fine. The only fader on the Delta 1010 monitor mixer page that affects the signal is the H/W In S/PDIF and having the All outputs set to +4dBu which boosts it a little.
When I go to the mixer page on Pro Tools however, a signal that I would expect to push the green all the way up to the red only manages to push the green about a quarter of the way up. If I was recording the same thing using inputs 1&2 on my 1010lt from the main outputs of the korg instead of S/PDIF , I would aim to set the level to light up all the green most of the time, especially if I was recording a sequence consisting of drums , bass, etc.
Yes, my meters are in pre fade. So, are the levels I am seeing usual for using the S/PDIF input , or is something still not right ? I must admit it's things like this that put me off trying to use all this tech. Maybe I should forget about trying to use S/PDIF and just stick to using 2 jack leads from outputs 1&2 of the korg. I just thought I'd get a better, clearer signal using S/PDIF.
Thanks again, Mark.
Old 06-05-2017, 08:38 AM

Talking dBFS would be more useful.

The monitor mixer should have nothing to do with input levels to Pro Tools you are recording. Does it? You should be recording the S/PDIF input directly to a track Pro Tools, are you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-10-2017, 08:35 AM

Default Re: Setting level using S/PDIF input ?

Hi
Thanks again for your time and patience.
I am in the process of reading the manual that came with my 1010LT card as I realise I haven't even begun to understand exactly what it can do.
I mention the monitor mix as this is the only level indicator apart from the pro tools mix page. On the M Audio Delta control panel the master volume and mixer inputs Wav Out 1/2 show good levels from my Korg, even though the faders don't affect the level which is where I would think it to be, showing up to-12Db most of the time peaking at about -6Db.
On the pro tools mixer window, the same level only lights up about the first third which is up to the 6th or 7th line. My m- powered doesn't seem to have any reference to Db except that when it reaches red it is 0Db. Mine goes straight from green to red, no yellow and only 13 small lines alongside the meter, which get further apart as they go towards the 0db where it then goes to red. I can't find any reference to whether the lines correspond to Db levels. Am I missing a window that does show actual Db levels ?
I have always just tried to get a signal that peaks as high up the green as possible but doesn't go into the red (0Db).
Have I been doing things wrong?
Thanks again and I wouldn't blame you for losing patience with me as I am obviously rubbish at this. Kind Regards, Mark.