Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Win)

Old 08-25-2010, 06:24 PM

Default Automatic record monitor muting

I use my Audio Interface DSP mixer for a head phone monitor system. The other Daws I used I could set so when Im recording the armed track would automatically mute the output so I dont have a off time version playing with my DSP mixer out version with latency.

Right now I have to manually mute and un mute each trach as Im recording and it feels like Im juggling.
Is there a way to have a tracks recording monitoring mute itself when recording in Protools m powered 8?
And the auto monitoring option does nothing for how you hear it while recording. It seems to play out of the outputs selected while recording no matter what.
Old 08-26-2010, 02:26 AM

Default Re: Automatic record monitor muting

How bad are you latency issues for you to need to use the interfaces mixer? You should check your H/W buffer size and adjust it to minimize latency and utilize Pro Tools' own monitoring system. As far as I know theres no way to automatically mute when you hit record, but I might be wrong.
Old 08-26-2010, 08:23 AM

Well the way I use it is so I can have a custom headphone mixer at the mic.Can do that with using Protools monitoring.
Old 08-26-2010, 09:31 AM

This is how I do it:

Monitor through the M-Audio mixer and mute the tracks you are recording to in Pro Tools. There will be no (or near-zero) latency there on the M-Audio mixer. This is the workaround for the M-Audio setup with Pro Tools. It will record in sync with the rest of the session.

I create 'Tracking Tracks' that are muted and set up with the correct i/o, then move things down to other tracks when we get a good take. If you need to punch a section, edit out the part on the keeper tracks and record over on your Tracking Track then edit together.

Even 128 samples is unacceptable for me and my clients.
M-Audio Firewire 410 via Digi-Qualified SIIG FireWire 2-Port ExpressCard {NN-EC2012-S1}
Glyph 050Q 500GB via eSATA
Old 08-27-2010, 12:34 AM

You can create headphone mixes straight in Pro Tools if you want, all you have to do is create an Aux Input track and bus all tracks into the Aux track, just like you would on an actual console. Then, set the output of that track to a different output than your monitor mix. Finally, on your software mixer, setup your headphones so that they use the output of that Aux Input track.

If you keep your H/W Buffer Size set pretty low while you are tracking you shouldn't have any problems with latency.
Old 02-09-2012, 01:27 AM

So I guess the answer to the OP is no?

No, you can't automate a mute when record is engaged?

Old 02-09-2012, 03:31 AM

take a look on the plugin mutetone. its free and mute the armed track only when you hit record. its easy to setup and works great!

so you can make the headphone mix through the interface mixer. to listen in the control room to the signale while you recording you just set up a buss with the same input of the record channel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-22-2014, 03:50 PM

The latency of any value is unacceptable. PT needs to make available a mute on the recording tracks. This will allow a separate HD mixer with no delay and no worries about what your buffer is set to. There is a MuteTone 3rd party software for MAC but none for IBM win7. This issue should not even be a third party fix. It needs to be in PT as standard!!!!
Old 02-28-2017, 09:58 PM

Agreed, has this ever been incorporated? I'm in the same boat as the OP!!
Old 04-06-2017, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHelicopter View Post
Agreed, has this ever been incorporated? I'm in the same boat as the OP!!
Beyond dredging up a very old thread, consider a few things:
1-PT is as capable as any DAW in creating music. If it doesn't WORK they way you want it to, then its not the best DAW for you to work on.
2-What experience level are you at? If you are fairly new to all this stuff, keeping things simple allows you to concentrate on music more, and technical stuff less(usually a good thing)
3-as for monitoring, there are many ways to work with this and simply creating headphone mixes within the session is easiest(assuming a robust system that will operate with low-enough latency). I have had no issues providing up to 5 separate headphone mixes with my current HD/Native rig or my previous non-HD system based around a DIGI003. This also entails knowing which plugins one needs to leave inactive while tracking(some plugins have no latency, others may have a thousand samples or more, making them impossible to track with). Again, that's part of the learning curve. While I make music "in the box", I know studios that use analog consoles in their setups, you HOW the console is interfaced can make a difference(example; one place uses the channel strips of their Trident as hardware inserts on the tracks in Pro Tools).
4-be willing to learn new ways of working

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave