Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Win)

Old 07-10-2010, 02:50 PM

Default Rewire issue - Midi Input Problem trying to launch Reason

I've been searching for an answer to this for a week now and there doesn't seem to be an answer on any search I've performed on any website.

Basically I've used reason in the past to record my drum samples in Pro tools but for some reason now I cannot use my midi keyboard in reason if I launch it using rewire. If I use reason stand alone it works fine.

Basically I am getting the following two error messages:-

"Midi Input Problem. One or several of the midi inputs could not be opened. They might be in use by another application. Open the preferences dialog and check your MIDI settings"

The second reads:-

"Reason couldn't set up the control surfaces properly. For details, please open the Preferencesa dialog, go to the Control Surface page and click teh Red X symbol(s) in the surface list. "

I've done this but reason will always tell me the midi inputs are in use. I presume Pro Tools is using them but how do I get them to be used by Reason instead, as it's always done by default in the past?

Many thanks.
Old 07-23-2010, 05:09 AM

Default Re: Rewire issue - Midi Input Problem trying to launch Reason

Still having problems if anyone could offer a solution?

many thanks.
Old 07-23-2010, 03:35 PM

I am having the same problem. It was working fine now I get the same error message. Have you found a solution yet?
Old 07-26-2010, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craiger View Post
I am having the same problem. It was working fine now I get the same error message. Have you found a solution yet?
No not yet but I really need to get it fixed as its like having an arm removed. I thought I would have gotten an answer on these forums.
Old 07-26-2010, 09:20 AM
Avid

When using Reason in ReWire mode, you need to disable the MIDI inputs and controllers in Reason Preferences, as they are all controlled by Pro Tools.

If you don't, you can get 'doubled' input - any incoming MIDI data from a controller, keyboard, etc. will go BOTH to Reason directly and to Pro Tools.
Old 07-27-2010, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt View Post
When using Reason in ReWire mode, you need to disable the MIDI inputs and controllers in Reason Preferences, as they are all controlled by Pro Tools.

If you don't, you can get 'doubled' input - any incoming MIDI data from a controller, keyboard, etc. will go BOTH to Reason directly and to Pro Tools.
Thank you for the advice. I have tried this but am still getting the second error message of "Reason couldn't set up the control surfaces properly. For details, please open the Preferencesa dialog, go to the Control Surface page and click teh Red X symbol(s) in the surface list. "

What settings do I need to ensure I have correct in Pro Tools?

Many thanks for your support.
Old 07-27-2010, 01:50 PM
Avid

In Reason go to Reason>Preferences and select 'Keyboards and Control Surfaces' from the drop down menu. Any device that's listed that - uncheck "Use with Reason" for any keyboard currently listed.
Old 07-27-2010, 02:11 PM

Quote:
In Reason go to Reason>Preferences and select 'Keyboards and Control Surfaces' from the drop down menu. Any device that's listed that - uncheck "Use with Reason" for any keyboard currently listed.
Thats's worked brilliantly at removing the error messages, but there are still no midi signals coming from PT to Reason so I still cannot play the reason instruments like I used to be able to before this error started appearing.

Just to give you an idea of what I am trying to do.

I use Reason's drum kits for most of my songs and I used to be able to launch rewire and play the reason samples on my midi keyboard. once arranged in reason, I set up a track in PT and record the drums. Then I close down reason all together and work in PT to record my instruments.

There seems to be some problem with PT directing the midi signals to reason.

Thanks again for your help.
Old 07-27-2010, 03:00 PM
Avid

Are you creating an Instrument track in Pro Tools and making sure it's MIDI (not audio) output is set to an instrument in Reason?
Old 07-27-2010, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Are you creating an Instrument track in Pro Tools and making sure it's MIDI (not audio) output is set to an instrument in Reason?
No I've never done it like that before. I always add the rewire plugin to an Aux track, then send the output of that to bus 1-2 and then use an audio track with an input of bus 1-2 to record the output from reason.

I've been doing it this way for 2-3 years but all of a sudden - bang. It's not working any more.