Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Win)

Old 01-25-2016, 09:30 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools in VM?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Here we go again. A real-time DAW like Pro Tools has near zero chance of being usable in a VM. Including the Windows XP compatibility VM. Get a windows install disk and do a clean install of whatever old Windows OS you need on a new disk partition or new hard drive and dual-boot between OSes as needed. Alternately sort out what technical issues you are having with Pro Tools, it could be as simple as plugin compatibility.

And even if somebody can start up a session in a VM they probably cannot run much load, stop wasting your time and do this properly.

And in this case the device your driver is trying to talk to is not virtualized in the VM so it will not work, just as expected.
I'm not wasting my time. Didn't you read the thread? Someone has it working. That's the person I'm asking. Install went perfect. You mean my audio interface? It's very much working. Everything works. The problem is that vm seems to be using one core out of 4 so starting PT over loads the cpu and quits.

My old computer with the PT7.3.1.cs6 intalled works perfect but I'm relocating over seas and already taking an 8lb computer, 1 heavy and 2 more HD's. I don't want to drag along the weight and I don't haver a budget of$500-1000 for a lightweight computer to be able to run xp.
Old 01-10-2017, 08:18 AM

This is an old thread, but having just installed win10, and virtualbox on an old sony vaio laptop and wasting several days on it, i can report it can indeed be done.

My laptop was a vaio vgafw280j. The biggest problem was lack of hardware virtualization support in the bios. I wasted most of my time figuring out this was causing the guru meditation crash of virtualbox when attempting to load protools.
Sony finally issued a bios update for many of their models that fixes this.

So, step 1 is update your bios and enable hardware virtualization on the processor.

My protools was version 8, which was the last version that supports my antique mbox1 and only runs on obsolete win xp.

So step 2 is to install win10 and verify it sees hardware virtualization in control panel/system/processors. Install latest virtualbox and matching guest extensions. Setup shared folder between guest and host for service pack files etc that you will need for installing xp. Install guest extensions into your virtualxp space only after setting up win10 share or it won't show up in virtual.

Step 3 is to install xp, and service pack3 into virtualbox. Protools 8 only required sp2, but I couldn't find sp2, and i can confirm sp3 works fine.

Step4, windows update xp to its final standards.

Step5, turn off all power saving in both win0 and xp, screen saver, virus checkers, windows defender, and uninstall ie8. You had to install ie8 to use windows update. Ie8 crashes protools with application failed to install msg. Check that system/dep data exception hardware is still defaulted to windows only.

Step6, in virtualbox settings/system/ motherboard check box for i/o acpi, and in system/processor check enable pae/nx. You wont be able to do this if you didnt get hardware virtualization enabled in your bios.

Step7, load protools. Prob good to do some virtual machine snapshots at various stages, especially this one before running ptools. Protools may hang on a plugin and then refuse to run again without reinstall. Nice to restore snapshots to save that hassle.

At this point i had to get rid of all plugins to save time loading because my core 2 duo could only devote one core to ptools. Very slow. But it did come up authorize and load sessions ok.

Probably need at least 4 cores to make this a viable daw system. However i can successfully report protools 8 does work in a virtualbox inside win10 with a legacy mbox1 if anyone is still interested.
Old 01-10-2017, 09:52 AM

Irtual box settings/system/processor allows you to up the number of processors the virtual is using if you have more than 2 cores.
Old 06-24-2017, 11:23 PM

Hi Fabco, thanks for posting, just wanted to say people are very much still interested! In my case I have had PT8.0.5 running on Win10 for a long time. But last week my system did the auto update to Windows 10 "creators update", version 1703, OS build 15063.413. After that Pro Tools 8.05 would not launch, with the error: "no RTTI data". I rolled back to the previous version 1607 (build 14393.1358). Everything is ok again.

Maybe we have reached the end of compatibility with Windows and PT8 (unless someone put the time into finding a fix, which is beyond my skill). So I'm thinking of trying to run in a virtual machine so that I don't have to worry about Windows updates any more!

I'm using a DIGI002 which is firewire (through a PCI bus for me). That is a problem with VMware but I'll check out maybe virtualbox has firewire code.

Thanks!