Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Win)

Old 02-15-2017, 11:11 AM

Default Beginner questions about setup and partitions (new to pro tools DAW)

Hello guys,

I used cubase for a years. I get m-powered pro tools with my equipemnt but i never used it because it require 2 HDD and i had only one. Now i got second HDD and i want to try pro tools. So can anyone help me to configure pro tools?

I have 2 HDD ( 1TB + 1TB ) and im confused about making partitions. As i read, pro tools use RTAS files and that files will be automaticly storage on C:
Im a little bit confused about:

1. How many partitions to make on those 2 HDDs and any recomanded spaces of partitions?
2. What is your recomanded space for C: ( if there will go every RTAS files )
3. For what to use second HDD?

Sorry, im searching this forum and im a little bit lost in all informations, all are "somewhere there" but not exactly what i need.

Hope guys that you can help me with this. Id like so much to try pro tools, its amazing DAW as i saw :)
Old 02-15-2017, 07:41 PM

Default Re: Beginer questions about setup and partitions ( new to pro tools DAW )

Since you mention RTAS, I assume your PT version is 10 or lower? PT11 and later don't use RTAS plugins. Back to the question; Pro Tools software and all plugins get installed to the C: drive(usually the installers will do this by default). My personal preference would be to NOT partition your drives. Having said that, since both drives are 1TB, I would split the main drive into 500GB for Csystem) and the rest as D: for backup only. Leave the other drive as a single 1TB partition(all done as NTFS and BASIC as Pro Tools does not record to DYNAMIC drives). This separate drive would be your recording drive(create and save your sessions here). I assume BOTH of these drives are 7200 rpm? 5400 rpm, 5900 rpm and any "green" drive is a bad choice for a recording machine.

BTW, with 2 drives, any sample libraries should also be installed to the C: drive. The best performance comes from 3 drives(SYSTEM, SAMPLES, RECORDING). A 2-drive system does quite well, but adding partitions does NOT improve performance(and can actually hurt it).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 02-16-2017, 04:56 AM

Default Re: Beginer questions about setup and partitions ( new to pro tools DAW )

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
Since you mention RTAS, I assume your PT version is 10 or lower? PT11 and later don't use RTAS plugins. Back to the question; Pro Tools software and all plugins get installed to the C: drive(usually the installers will do this by default). My personal preference would be to NOT partition your drives. Having said that, since both drives are 1TB, I would split the main drive into 500GB for Csystem) and the rest as D: for backup only. Leave the other drive as a single 1TB partition(all done as NTFS and BASIC as Pro Tools does not record to DYNAMIC drives). This separate drive would be your recording drive(create and save your sessions here). I assume BOTH of these drives are 7200 rpm? 5400 rpm, 5900 rpm and any "green" drive is a bad choice for a recording machine.

BTW, with 2 drives, any sample libraries should also be installed to the C: drive. The best performance comes from 3 drives(SYSTEM, SAMPLES, RECORDING). A 2-drive system does quite well, but adding partitions does NOT improve performance(and can actually hurt it).
Hello and thank you for aswer and help.

My PT is very old version, 7.4, that one i got with my equipement. I was wondering about PT daw so i look couple videos on YT and i decide to try this version and if it is what i expect, to i buy a newer versin. Btw, my HDDs are both SEAGATE with 7200rpm

1st is ST1000DM003
2nd is ST1000DM005

So, thats what i will do :)

1. Split 1st HDD on 2 x 500 partitions ( C - for instalation and libraries and D - backup )
2. Leave 2nd HDD as one partition of 1TB

Thank you very much for your time and help, im gonna install now PT and see how it works. In case that i decide to buy newer version of PT, i guess that my sound card ( m-audio firewire solo ) will support newer version of PT? Just asking because i see this one is "PT m-powered" so maybe i will need different sound card for newer version of PT?
Old 02-16-2017, 08:25 AM

Depending on your OS, you may also not be able to run 7.4 anyway

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave